How long can you wait to shave after stropping a razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ztirf1953, May 28, 2011.

1. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I'm a new user to straight razor.

I am going rather slow in shaving and I also take my time stropping the razor. All of this takes quite a bit of time in the morning.

I am wondering if you can strop the razor at night and shave the next morning? This would help me for the present time. Do you have to immediately shave after stropping?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sometimes I strop the night before the morning shave, just make sure you strop after every shave. I find that letting the lather soften the whiskers while stropping makes for a better shave though, so in that respect there is no time savings for me. I find myself stropping the night before a morning shave not to save save time but just to mess with my straights some more..... kind of like sniffing yor soaps or aftershaves just for the heck of it.

3. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I'm glad to hear you comment. I realize I'm not as strange as I sometimes think I am. I'm forever smelling soap, aftershaves, and now just looking at my new straight. Thanks!

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I strop while marinating my face with TSD ISZ PSB. I let the balm soak in for about 30 minutes; plenty of time to strop my str8. After that, I take a hot shower, then shave.

5. NoahG

NoahG Member

Since we're on the topic of Str8 stropping edification, when you count strokes is it a 2 count or a one count? ie: 20 strokes on the canvas and 30 on the leather.

6. swarden43

For me its a two count, down and back completes one stroke or lap...

0-1
    0-2
    0-3...
    1-0
    1-1
    1-2
    1-3

7. NoahG

NoahG Member

Good to know. I wasn't sure so I doubled the count and counted each one.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hrmmmm... I may not be stropping enough then???

One stroke up = one stroke, then flip the razor on the spine and one stroke back = second stroke...

9. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

2 counts!

10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Laps, as in same as swimming, up and back = 1 lap ;)

so 25/50 Linen/Leather is

25 laps Linen
    50 laps Leather

11. Utopian

Utopian New Member

No. The purpose for stropping is to re-align the edge that gets distorted by the previous shave. If you strop the night before and shave the next morning, your razor will be just fine. However, even if you do strop slowly, your shave may be improved by lathering your face and then stropping for a couple of minutes to allow for the lather to work its magic softening your whiskers. That is, apply lather, strop, rub lather into face with fingers, re-lather, and shave.

12. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

OK to strop the night b4

The OP question was: do you have to shave immediately after stropping a razor? And the answer is no. I strop my razor while the brush sits in hot water to soften bristles (when using a boar bristle brush) or when using badger I strop while I nuke some water for my scuddle; but there are times when I strop the night before and I get a clean, smooth shave just as if I had stropped my razor minutes before the shave. HOG

13. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

It depends on your climate. An edge starts to degrade almost immediately after you've stopped stropping the razor. It happens on a microscopic level. If there's a lot of moisture in the air, that will accelerate the degradation. In a dry climate, it's fine to strop hours before. In a humid climate, stropping right before use is best.

Also, where you store your razors matter. If you store them in a dry box, then you're likely fine to strop them hours before. If they're out in the open in your bathroom, where hot showers leave the air with a lot of moisture, then immediate stropping is necessary.

14. Griz

Griz Member

Yep. That is the way to do it. You need the same number of strokes on each side of the blade. Stropping slow is also good particularly when you are starting out, speed is not the issue. Keep that spine on the strop the whole time and don't press down hard at all.

Yes you can strop the night before. I always strop before and after. It never hurts to do it and it gives me time to think about what I am going to be doing.

Will N.

15. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

I notice alot of gents here are talking about using the linen strop in a daily context. I have read many postings where the linen is mentioned to only be used for touch ups; leather for daily use. which is it? I have been using he linen every time I shave, it just seems the blade is just that much smoother. So far I have not encountered a down side to this practice.

16. swarden43

Great question. I've always used both every time I strop,also, so I don't know any different. Looking forward to an answer from those who know a whole lot more than I do!

17. fine wine

fine wine New Member

Oh you guys are strange, but it is a non-volient type of strange so it's OK...
    :whacky011:whacky011:signs047

18. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I've been told by some of the folks at Straight Razor (some of the experts on stropping) that the canvas side is really to clean th razor before and after use.

The main work of stropping is on the leather side.

I was also told that 10 laps on the linen is enough and that 20 to 30 laps on the leather is enough.

Beyond that, it doesn't make a difference.

Fritz

19. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

See, that is my problem. I keep hearing conflicting info as to the canvas Strop. I think part of the problem is it depends on what paste you put on it and IF you put paste on it.

I have just thrown my hands up and decided that I will do 30 laps on my denim and about 20-30 on the leather. So far that has worked well for me. Maybe I could get a better edge doing something else or more of something. Unfortunately I have not been able to quantify beyond the fact that my hairs are slicing off with almost zero force. It is only because of my chin that I ever wonder if I could benefit from something even sharper. Someday I suspect I will have a Zen moment and come back to you gents with my revelation.

20. Do not put paste on either component of your daily strop.