Lathering

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by fishcrow, Jun 9, 2011.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I have a scuttle on loan. I am really enjoying how it makes the lather. My observation does the depth of the shave bowl make differnece in how rich the lather is? What would be the optium depth of a bowl/mug?

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I just got a scuttle about 1-2 months ago and it's night and day regarding how easy the lather is to make and how luxurious it is. I used to use an oversized coffee mug and like I said it's a HUUUUGE difference. Worth every penny. I have a 1.5 Dirty Bird scuttle and it's great. The thing is big but man it performs wonderfully. I don't know the science behind it, but the large scuttle I have certainly outperforms big mugs/cereal bowls/etc for lathering

3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That is interesting. I would like to hear more about that if anyone else has any further information. I use an oversized coffee mug and it works ok for me, but maybe something else would work even better.

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have done the capachino mug. It works pretty well but not textured so could take longer to work up a thick lather.

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

So the textured inside of the scuttle really makes a big difference compared to the smoothness of the coffee mug, huh? I may have to look into getting one of those.

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I believe they do. But some might think that it doesn't matter. It is described on the Dirty Bird website. I think it is just rougher so causes more air pockets for a faster lather. Sort of like lathering on a flat surface and then going to a bumpy one.

I don't have a scuttle but I used to have a textured mug until someone microwaved it and dropped it on the floor.... Wasn't me I swear :D

Mugs still work wonderfully as well as hand and face. So many options.

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Intresting the textured surface of a scuttle aids in making richer lather. A smooth surface though it will work will take longer to do so.

8. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

The 'ridges' cut into the scuttle definitely help build the lather! I believe it lets more air in underneath the lather to help create the lather. Check out the pictures here:
    http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html

9. NoahG

NoahG Member

I would say that the ridges give the hairs or bristles some extra traction and spring, thus whipping the lather better, but that's just a guess. I think I might finally get one for my birthday next month, but I haven't decided on a color yet. I wish there was a sample page for the Robert Becker scuttles.

10. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

He has sent me an email with sample colors before. They are very small pictures....just square images of the color, not on an actual scuttle, but you get the idea of what it would look like. I could probably forward it on if you are interested or send him an email and he will probably send it along for you.

11. NoahG

NoahG Member

I hadn't thought of that, but I guess I should have. I'll contact him so I can see what he currently has. Thanks!

12. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

That would work too.