Name your toothbrush !!

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by MikekiM, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

As I get older, I long for times and trends gone by. Wet Shaving has it's obvious fit here. As it came time to change my toothbrush I had much the same reaction to prices of all these flamboyant plastic and soft touch toothbrushes that I figured there must be something better. Better for me; better for the environment; better for my wallet.

I've been following what I think to be an interesting blog called My Plastic-Free Life and in quite a timely manner they featured an article about Eco-Friendly Toothbrushes.

I already have a D.R.Harris Bone Handled No.3 toothbrush I bought for a month long trip last year, but that stays in my travel bag. From this I knew I liked the natural bristles but $25 was extravagant for a toothbrush so...

After much research I am leaning towards the Swissco brushes (best prices are from Amazon). I am about ready to buy a few in tortoise, bone and wood.. just to try a few things.

Wondering if anyone uses something other than the drug store offerings when it comes to toothbrushes?

Next up will be toothpaste, though I love Tom's of Maine, so not sure how much progress I'll make changing that..

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Sonicare ProResults toothbrush here...a million times better than any manual brush I've used

3. MikekiM

I've tried the electric route.. my gums don't like it.

Plus, I am done with rechargeable batteries where-ever possible. I often find myself out in the woods for extended periods and recharging batteries is a PITA

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've used the Oral Pro Health toothbrush for about a decade. When I travel, it's just a cheapy manual.

5. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

what every the wife buys me. Mostly Oral B manuals - sometimes I get ours mixed up after she buys a new one and switches the color on me. Boy - that makes her mad!!! lol

6. Moe

Moe Active Member

Any elcheapo soft bristle that's on sale.

7. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

This. Or whatever the dentist gives me for free.

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Awhile back at my work the University across the street came and gave us toothbrushes that were made from Switch Grass and recycled hay bale wrappers. Pretty good brush and it smelled nice as well. Now I mostly just use Oral B whatever the dentist gives me.

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've gone through several electric brushes, and just don't like them. The vibrations make me gag. I've been using the Equate brand at Walmart and they are good brushes, nothing fancy, just soft nylon bristles.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I just put a few tablespoons of baking soda in my mouth and take a swig of vinegar and let science clean my teeth.

Plastic free for sure because the vinegar comes in a glass bottle and the baking soda is in a paperboard container.

11. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Just have to make sure your over a sink. :D

12. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Miswak

Anyone ever used a Miswak? It is a natural stick that you peel the bark off of and chew. It brushes your teeth naturally without any toothpaste. Talk about green!

When I was in Africa, I saw the locals with these sticks all the time. They are available on Amazon pretty cheap. I've been curious, but never tried one.

13. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I've been using them since I was a little kid. It was an old habit of Islamic Prophet Muhammad to chew and clean his teeth with it all day.

You cut about half an inch worth of "skin" off one end and soak it in water for about 3 days, only up to the cut line, and each day, chew lightly until it forms in to the desired brush like tip. It's very nice once it's broken in.

Once it wears it, chop off the end and repeat until the stick is finished.

14. papaoommow13

papaoommow13 New Member

I use Phillips Sonicare :)

15. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

:sick007

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here. I do like the Oral-B 60 Soft, though.

17. MikekiM

OMG... no way!! I would puke for sure! hmm..maybe I should try it before I poo-poo it..

The Miswak is on my list and I may just buy a few to throw in my camera bag.. Would be nice to have through out the long days in the field.

I've never read about soaking it. I thought you just chewed it to get it split at the ends.

Yeah.. that's what I thought.

As I am getting older I am starting to have a bit of receding gums. The dentist says it's partly due to over zealous brushing and too stiff of a bristle. So I am trying to avoid the nylon.

I would order the bamboo toothbrushes but a box of 36 is a commitment.. I smell a group buy..split a box.

18. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

TRUTH!

19. d2mini

d2mini New Member

Sonicare user here too. So easy and huge difference in the health of my teeth and gums, and I didn't have cavities before, either. But my dentist still comments how clean and healthy my mouth is when I go to my bi-annual cleanings.

20. IversOC

IversOC Member

I am currently brushing with a GUM 411 soft toothbrush. It was a parting gift from my visit to the dentist. Its a simple toothbrush with a little rubber nib at the bottom for your gums.

Its the type of toothbrush our grandfathers used after they shaved with their safety razors. ;)