Super Adjustable Question?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MRast01, Jun 18, 2011.

1. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

We were off visiting my in-laws for Father's Day, and much to my joy my FIL wanted to head off to Pigeon Forge to hit the antique stores (he collect's antique radios). Well it was a pretty good day over all, I'll post a picture in the show and tell forum later. Anyway, was looking at a case with quite a few razors in it, but didn't see anything I had to have (especially of the prices). The gentleman who had opened the case for me mentioned that we had found an unusual razor just the day before. He had never seen a razor with numbers around it. Well...needless to say I was intrigued. I asked if he happened to have it with him, and he did out in the car. Brought in a nice plastic bottom super adjustable, and gave me a price that I just couldn't walk away from. Didn't notice in the store, but later as we were driving away that it does not have a date code. It does have the quarter which is a 3.
    Does anyone have any info. that would be helpful with this?
    IMG_1600.jpg

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Late 70s/early 80s I believe is when those started getting plastic bottoms.

Mr razor's site shows a 1978 Super Adjustable with a plastic base plate.

3. newb

newb Resident Newb

I think the date code is under the silo doors.:o likely 1978 or later?

4. MRast01

You my friend are correct! Didn't think to check there. Glad to know now.:1respect:happy088:thanks
    This is a X1, which would put it at 1977.

IMG_1602.jpg

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice find! :happy088:happy088

I have a Super with the plastic bottom, as well. No date code, though. Not even under the doors. Doesn't keep it from giving a very good shave :D

May it give you many great shaves to come!

6. MRast01

I'm sure it will. My second razor (and first vintage) was a SA I found in a box of kitchen gadgets in a local antique store. Don't know if its b/c it was my first vintage, or it started my "collection", or just that super adjustable's are awesome, but I tend to get fantastic shaves out of that razor.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Super Adjustables are awesome. ;)
    Wasn't my first razor, but it is my go to razor. And I only have like 3 razors; Super Adjustable, a custom Knotty Badger handle with some borrowed razor head, and a straight. Sold all others.

Enjoy the new razor!

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Any S/A is bound to be a great shaver. I really like the one we have, purchased from TSD via The QOB!

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup... they are very nice razors.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That was the last of the really good DEs made by Gillette.

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Having never dealt with a plastic base SA, thanks for the info, I'll store that tidbit away for later use.

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

Wow, I thought all SA were dated ? Might be an early transition to plastic bottom or a rare one ? Hmmmmm Nice. I've been looking for a 1984 for a long time, the newer ones seem hard to find. Super Adjustable's are great shavers.

13. NoahG

NoahG Member

Sweet find! Nabbing a long handled SA is definitely high on my list of RAD candidates. For those in the know, any performance difference between the plastic bottom ones and the all metal?

14. MRast01

I don't know yet, but I put the new one in the lineup this week and let you know.

15. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Lucky Find

Congrats on your find. I, like most newbies, bought about every razor I could find cheap and I came across a Super Adjustable at a second hand store last week. I bargained the shopkeeper down from $10 to $5!!!

After the very first shave....my 1978 Super Adjustable became my FAVORITE razor. While they might not be everyones favorite, the Derby blades worked awesomely in the razor at the #4 setting!

16. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

After scraping the last shave out of the blade in my '30s New today, I took out my Super Adjustable and put it in my brush stand, ready for a new blade and another shot at proving itself. On previous shaves, I found the long handle got in the way a bit, but it was most definitely my technique that needs work. I do like the adjustability factor of this razor and its weight is very nice. Such a fine razor, I've gotta give it another try.

17. MRast01

Well, after a soak in some soapy water yesterday and a quick spray of scrubbing bubbles, I loaded up my new SA with a Red IP and set off to shavings. Loaded up my Semogue 830 with MWF and got to it. Did 3 passes WTG, XTG, and ATG with a few touch-ups. DFS+!

Now I can't say I could tell a real difference with the other SA models but it was a fantastic shave.:happy088 I'm a huge fan of these models. I think they are on par with any other razor, and would recommend to anyone to pick one up if they stumble across one at the right price.

IMG_1695.jpg

18. NoahG

NoahG Member

Quite a stable of black beauties you've got there! Can't tell from the pic, but are there 3 of the long or 2? (coming in from my phone all week so things don't always look right)

19. MRast01

Thanks, I can only say I've been lucky. Found all of them locally (well, the one this weekend was a bit farther away, but none off the bay).
    1 short O1 1969
    3 long P1 1970, W3 1976 (my first vintage razor), and this weekends X1 1977.

Interesting to me is that I talked my FIL into trying a DE as well, and his first and only DE is also a SA that he scored in a local antique store for the kingly price of $3.