Shaving stand

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by joebob296, Jun 20, 2011.

1. joebob296

joebob296 New Member

I was wondering what is a nice stand that people use. Right now I have a merker HD and a VDH badger brush from a starter shaving set from amazon. It came with a clear crappy stand that is to short. The bristles dont hang I have to push it onto the stand. So I was hoping to see some pics and info on where you got the stand. I looked on the store but didn't see any.

2. jtb

jtb New Member

I just put my razor on a wooden soap disk like the one below. My brush sits on it's handle next to it.

[​IMG]

3. joebob296

joebob296 New Member

Is it bad for the brush is the water doesn't drip down the bristles? like standing it on end when your done using it?

4. jtb

jtb New Member

Big debate about that I guess. Some say water wicks up, some say otherwise.

From the "internet":
    There has been much debate over whether it’s best to store a shave brush with the bristles up or down, with many good points on each side. Therefore store it whichever way you want.

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 I have umm... several brushes and only one brush stand, so the vast majority get stood upright on their handles.

6. NoahG

NoahG Member

I only have a metal razor / brush stand and the plastic one that came with one of my brushes. I don't store the stuff I'm not currently using in the bathroom though, so I'll hang the wet brush up and move it to the shelf with the rest after it dries.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've heard two schools of thought on leaving the brush to dry. I offer these arguments when setting the brush to dry:

A - "Let it hang bristles down. You don't water to run down into the knot." I have yet to see any drops of water either on the end of the bristles or puddled up under any brush I have left hanging bristles down. If the water is not running down to the tips while hanging down, it won't run down into the base if setting up.

B - "Stand it on it's base, bristles up. It won't allow proper air flow for the water to evaporate if hanging." Try this, set a wet glass bottom up in your dish rack, then come back the next day. Is the inside dry? I rest my case.

Note - I do shake the brush, then rub it over a towel a couple of times before leaving it to dry. I have yet to have any issues with my brush drying or mold forming on any brush I own, regardless of how I leave it.

Just do not, DO NOT, store it wet in a medicine cabinet or closet. Make sure to leave it out to in the open (up or down ;)) or you will get mold.

That being said, I'm like Bill - I have one stand that I hang a brush on. The other 13 brushes stand on their base.

Of course this isn't the only source, but they do have quite a variety to choose from.

8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I use this hi tech coated and fully adjustable brush stand for everything from cheap boars to triple digit badgers, total cost $0, that's right $0 and no I don't coat my brushes in spray butter :happy102

I should add that, I have yet to find anything better considering the stand can accommodate anything from 17mm to 28mm maybe even 30mm.

[​IMG]

When the brush is completely dry, it gets put on the shelf sitting upright.

I say do whatever you want, the only time I have ever seen anyone have any issue with a knot was when they lent their travel brush to a son and he put it away in the tube still wet and it molded. ack.

If you want something fancy and unique you could always buy one of these for $37 from Tony at Penworks/TGN

[​IMG]

Edited for an actual suggestion!

9. NoahG

NoahG Member

And here I thought I was going to learn another secret ninja shaving trick

10. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Hah I'm sure it would make an interesting preshave oil, if you're into that kind of thing. :rofl