Sharp n Shiny Fun :)

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by gssixgun, Jun 22, 2011.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Just some fun ones out of the shop...
    I didn't take before pics as none of them were that bad, just minor rust spotting..

All three were fully polished, the Wagner was re-blued, in fact this was the best match I have ever managed to making it look like the original stuff... In the past the bluing has always stood out as "Too Good" I know that sounds weird but that was what I had always seen...
    I used Birchwood Casey Super Blue but within 10 seconds of application I sprayed it with WD-40 and wiped it down with paper towel... I got the closet to the old stuff as I have seen ...

Wagner in Blue/Black G-10 (a very rare occurance for me)
    ERN in Tigereye acrylic
    Dovo re-polished the steel and buffed up the Horn

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

More sweet stuff. Love 'em! :happy088:happy088

3. Hank

Hank Active Member

Those are nice very nice

4. NoahG

NoahG Member

Those are sweet. Why don't you use G10 much? I've seen a lot of customs done in it, is it just a personal preference, or is there something off about it? Plus, how long does it usually take for a restore like those, if I'm not asking too much.

5. Tforc

Tforc Member

Wow just freaking wow.
    B

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yalp, fer shere Ya'll!

7. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Glen, you never cease to amaze me with your artistry. IF I ever get enough ahead, I have a Boker and a DD I plan to send to you.
    Great work, as usual!

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Again, very beautiful! :cool:

9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

:)

Let's see if I can answer those... G-10, first it requires me to re-tool all my blades to metal and even change sandpaper on the Beltsander to do it right...
    Second, a few years back there were way fewer people doing this work, and basically G-10 was a Max thing, so I pretty much stayed away from it..
    This time I had two customers both with multiple razors both wanting one razor done in G-10 so I did all the cutting and sanding on two sets at the same time, basically killing two birds with one stone...
    But No there is not a problem with G-10 in fact it is a very durable material...

How long ;) well that is a good question... I honestly couldn't nail it down, as I do parts at a time, a very very rarely take a razor from unpack to pack in one day. If I do it is normally a Vintage Restore that I am not building scales on, and they take about 4 hours by the time it is all said and done...

Normally I take a few razors down to parts and buff the blades, then the next day I cut and set up blanks for scales.. Another day is occupied with cutting shaping and fitting wedges.. Then the final sanding and finishing for the scales,, Acrylics can be done with just the sanding out to 12k but wood has less sanding but at least two days of the finish going on them +24 hours to dry minimum.. CA finishes take even longer with application and then final sanding ...

Obviously I have multiple razors on the bench at one time in a production line type of setup, I limit myself to 1 hour per night after work to do razors, then do a ton of work on my days off each week..

See it was a harder question then you thought... But if I was going to put a time on it from start to finish (not including drying time) about 6-8 hours of real hands on work... This of course is using buffers if you were handsanding like I did when I first stated then add 8 more hours :cool:

And thank you all for the kind comments

10. Old Man Army

Old Man Army Member

The blued tang is awesome! You regulary use some very interesting acrylic. I also like the classic horn.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Glen, I just have to comment again that you have contributed to the electrical shorting of keyboards across TSD due to the drooling factor! :happy102

All kidding aside, those are really gorgeous razors and that is one reason why the old stuff, the straights and the classic DE / SE and Injectors will always outclass the modern stuff. Each item in the "past", even the most basic units, was created not just with utilitarianism, but with art in mind. It is the combination of art and device that is sorely lacking in many of our modern items.

Thanks again for showing us your restorations! :cool:

12. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

I Love how you not only make such pretty razors, but you take the time to set design the back drops for your pics.

13. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Extra NICE Glen!! I agree with the photo setup as well! Extraordinary!

14. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

Beautiful work Glen!

15. Pithor

Pithor New Member

Awesome scales, Glen, awesome, especially the Wagner and ERN. Love the blueing, looks very original indeed.