Vintage Simpson Brush picked up at a local Antique Shop

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Nicktheswede, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Nicktheswede

Nicktheswede Member

Hey Guys,
    This brush caught my eye today at the antique store. I noticed it was a Simpson which got me really excited. I was mainly looking for Safety Razors and straights but I couldn't pass this up. I'm not huge into Brushes, I have my Omega 49 and 10066 and am eventually thinking on getting a Rooney 1/1 so my knowledge is limited.

Could anyone tell me what model/year this is? It says 3 Simpson Super Badger. And an approximate value?

Also is it safe to clean this and use this? And if so how?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice find!
    Sorry, can't help with any additional info on the brush.

I've purchased several antique brushes and use them with no problems. I used an anti-bacterial soft soap and washed them out real good. As I said, I haven't had any issues or reactions, just some great shaves knowing I was reviving some history.

3. MÜHLE-Man

MÜHLE-Man Member

First Step
    Start by rinsing the shaving brush under tap water for a minute or so. Once the brush is really wet, add a drop of dish soap on your hand to lather and clean the shaving brush completely.

Second Step

Leave the shaving brush soaking in clean water for a few minutes or so. Occasionally, mix during the soaking process.

Third Step

Rinse the shaving brush again under tap water to get rid of all the soap. Change the water in the glass for clean water and add some vinegar (approximately 1 part of vinegar for 1 part of water). Again, let the shaving brush soak for a few minutes. Occasionally, mix during the soaking process.

All that remains now is a third and final rinse under the tap before your dry your shaving brush and let it take the airs. This procedure must be done if a white circle or soap forms again or if you simply want to clean the brush again.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nice brush. A shame about that crack in it though.

5. A. E. Simpson 1919

A. E. Simpson 1919 New Member

Looks like a vintage Harvard H3 in Best Badger ...

Nice pick up.

Mark

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Its a PJ3, you can email Mark and get a free replacement sticker sent out to you, just be warned the current stock of stickers are not the same as those used on the vintage handles.

As far as actual value, if the handle is pristine and not cracked, I would say < $50, really depends on how the hair cleans up.

7. Sodapopjones

I think you're right on the H3, now that I look at it, but there's no ring at the bottom?!

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Looks like to me the faint text says Best Badger, not Super Badger as Mark - who is with Simpson - noted above.

9. Sodapopjones

Yeah, when I actually looked at the handles text, I was like, opps not a PJ3. :ashamed001

Still curious to know why there isn't a ring etched in the base, was that a touch Simfix added, or did this handles just wear away?

10. napoleon

napoleon Member

If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands:D

I'd say 1930's-40's. If we go by the "butterscotch turns darker with years" I'd say it's the later 40's.

11. Sodapopjones

Gary was kind enough to pm me some insight on the brush, its from the late 80's early 90's he says.

;)