The 2 Band Experience

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Sevenbark, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

With a recent purchase of a 2 band Simpson it was not what I expected. I love the scrub, but would like a few clicks to the softer side. I would like to know more about deferent 2 bands ie to include 3band and Rooney in finest. I almost bought a Rooney in finest, but was afraid it would be to much like a 2band. So if you have used them please let us know the ins and outs of the higher end brushes and what we can expect. :o

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well, M&F's Blonde Badger is probably the softest 2 band I have used period, there's less scritch to it then most other manufactures regular old Silvertip, if anything I would say its a nod past Simpson's Best.

3. Sevenbark

What is the price on these seen one on an old bst and I liked the specs and love the handle. US Vendor on these?

4. Sodapopjones

Well you can find them on the UK eBay, and there is a German vendor, but its easier and better to just email Lee directly as there is no US vendor.

The larger brushes are around 75-105 British pounds shipped, if you would like I can pm you his email address.

5. Huxley

Huxley New Member

Or there is the new forest brushes.

I have a two band tubby 1 and it's a lovely bit of kit, plenty of backbone with very soft tips, holds a surprising amount of water and so far doesn't hog the lather much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sevenbark

Sure thing drop me a pm...

7. Sevenbark

Thanks, do not mean to get to far from the OP, but what is the loft a on that beut of a #25 SM, thinging of one of these in 45 loft to go with my 50mm loft. Any thoughts.

8. Huxley

Huxley New Member

Not sure what you mean, but my tubby 1 has a 24mm knot with 52mm of loft.

The tubby 2 is 26/54mm.

Great brushes for the price, anyway more info can be found here.

http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.com/

You can buy them from ebay as well.

The blue brush is a best shavemac, tbh the nf puts it in the shade. The other is an omega 49 reamed out with a 28mm tgn silvertip knot, sheds a bit but it's so nice for creams.

9. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

I have a M&F and a NF...:D I love them both, they are very soft and have great backbone. IMO, the NF is a great value and worth every penny, but the M&F is pure luxury a step above all else. Peter from NF and Lee from M&F are both great businessmen with excellent customer service.

10. Sodapopjones

Sure thing
    Which one did you wind up getting?

11. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

NF 2201 and the M&F that resembles a 3XL 30mm/55mm.

12. Sevenbark

Sorry about that. Yes I was talking about the Shavemac it looked like what I call the #25 handle. I was wondering about the loft on it because I am going to order one in 45mm loft and would love to see a picture. Love the blue.

13. Huxley

Huxley New Member

Ah, umm no idea on loft im afraid as it's a custom job.

The knot however is 23mm

Handmade 23 mm
    Pure Badger
    Product No.: 252571

That's all the info on their site im afraid, but at a guess i would say it's around 58mm

[​IMG]

14. Sevenbark

Avery nice Shavemac, I always loved the blue ones.

15. rudyvey

rudyvey Member

I have a M+F and a Rooney XL, the Rooney is the absolute softest two-band brush I have (I got quite a number). The M+F has not the same softness, but also quite soft. I used to have a Rooney Finest but I sold it. It was extremely scritchy and I did not like this brush at all. It had great feel when dry, but as soon as it got wet, the feel was everything but great or nice, felt horrible, stingy. Others may like this, but for me it was a loss. I own also Simpson, Semogue, TGN and Shavemac two-band brushes. The Shavemac is also a very sweet brush, but cannot be compared with any of the others due to its knot shape: extreme flattop, short loft of 41 mm with a 19 mm knot, it is not scritchy at all. It was just a different experience to get used to extreme flattops.

16. Sodapopjones

Rudy, I keep hearing how the heritage line is so great and soft, yet mine is no where near as soft anymore as it used to be, the M&F is so much better.

I don't know, mine was from the first run, unless they somehow got better hair after the initial batch...
    [​IMG]

17. A. E. Simpson 1919

A. E. Simpson 1919 New Member

I don't know, but my gut feeling is that looks a three band brush with the knot set lower in the handle to suggest a two band material?

Look closely at the base of the knot toward the handle ...

All depends on the lathe setting to determine the plug depth and at what height the loft is to be set.

That's my trained eye from a distance speaking mind you.

18. Sodapopjones

I'm not quite sure Mark, my Plisson and M&F look the same way near the handle where the knot pokes out of the collar. Also, when you have a fresh plug like TGN's finest near the base where it meets its not completely black haired either, you can see all varieties of hair.

There was a hypothesis, not sure its completely valid I'm not a knot maker but you couldn't actually form a fan shaped knot in two band.

That's why you at Simpson use the "bulb" shape to somewhat hide the "innards" which are 3 band.

I know you said you wanted the 2 Bander Super's shape to be distinct from the rest of the line, but is there any truth to this, or is it mere conjecture?

19. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU New Member

I have a Simpson and a Rooney, both in two band. What can I say? I like'em both.

The Simpson is a PJ2, and I like it for it's thick knot. The bulb shape is icing on the cake. The Rooney is a size 2 Emillion with a fan shaped knot. I like it for really laying on the lather thick.

20. Sevenbark

Mark, good to see you. Thanks for taking care of me.

Great post I sure would like to see some pictures of the M+F and more of the Rooney 2 bands, this will help me greatly.

Thanks guys.