The #1 Factor for a Good Shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Jul 1, 2011.

?

What's the most important part of a good shave?

1. The razor

2.5%
  2. The blade

6.3%
  3. The Prep

47.5%
  4. The Technique

43.8%
  1. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

For me Prep and Technique are tied, but I do find more and more that what makes a shave good for me is how I feel after my post shave routine, like for example even if I had a little bit of bad technique during a shave and managed to acquire a few minute cuts that bleed a little if by the end of my post shave routine I feel like I can take on the world then it's been a good shave :D

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

This one was tough for me to answer. I'm almost a fence straddler but had to go with technique. You can have the best prep and lather in the world and blow it with bad technique. A quick splash of water, who cares what temp it is, and some sort of agent that will allow slip will easily allow you to have a decent shave. It may not be one to reflect on (for good reasons) but it will pass as acceptable.

If it weren't for that, I'd have gone with prep. Just my opinion and I still love all of you no matter what your view::sesel:angry025

:D

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Prep/lather and Technique are a tie with a sharp blade right there too close to be no. 2 maybe 1 1/2...:happy102
    Although I have had a dull blade and put it in a heavy well balanced razor and with good prep still got a very good shave...But for the most part I think a sharp blade is a necessary tool, in a razor that will hold it properly with the right exposure...But thats a given...the prep and technique are what makes the differance...
    But I have been on tour and had to shave with cold salt water so you cannot get a lather even with the Arko Stick, but by altering, adapting good technique still got an acceptable shave...and I did have a sharp blade aswell...So maybe they are all equally important and when one or more or missing , the experienced shaver can compensate and the elements you do have can "save the shave"....

What do you think?? Is my verbose rhetoric reaching new heights??

4. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

no

5. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

The answer may depend on where one is in their development. A newbie may never get comfortable enough without solid prep to ever develop good technique, so for them, prep is where it all begins. Yet, once some basic technique develops, and prep is a constant, then the focus shifts to rapidly advancing the technique. Once a higher end of development takes hold, and prep and decent technique become "givens" then finer blades and razors matter more. This theory is a work in progress.

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Good answer!:sihns011

7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Well said!

8. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

For me it's the razor,
    a good razor makes all the difference, the lather don't, i can use a high quality soap/cream with a brush or something in a can like foam and gel and it doesn't matter.

9. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

+1 good answer

10. jcwit

jcwit Member

I agree with this also. When I restarted with wet shaving I made a big deal with a hot wash cloth on my face hopefully softening the whiskers. Now that "I hope" I know what I'm doing I wash my face and apply the lather and have at it, enjoying the shave.

11. battle.munky

:signs097:signs107 I really like how this poll developed into an exposition. Interesting. It has actually caused me to reflect on quite a lot of how I shave and what really matters.

:thanks

12. Griff76

Griff76 Member

With my way limited experience, I got to go with prep, or else you can never get the tech correct.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmmmm.....

Technique: angle is angle, pressure is pressure - all regardless of what you do for prep.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I blame myself. :D

15. Griff76

Griff76 Member

@swarden43 mmm yeah but trying to learn the angles with proper can make it a little bit more forgiving. With out prep learning your technique could put you off.

Maybe a chicken/egg thing here

16. Sir Swine

Sir Swine Member

Please excuse my ignorance:ashamed001 but what is The Proper way to "Prep"

17. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Prep, Razor, Blade, Tech.

18. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I really believe this is the answer. In addition, I would say that my experience has been that since joining this community, technique has allowed me to get great shaves even when using materials of lesser quality.

I have learned so much from the great members of this forum, and have progressed in my shave quality on all fronts since joining here.
    That includes shaving with carts, DE, Shavettes, Straight Razors, soaps, creams, pre-shaves, oils, etc. I didn't get rid of any of my older shave equipment - just bought more.

I adjust my technique and tools based on the time I have to shave, and my mood that day. This is so much fun.

THANKS!

19. battle.munky

Some start with a shower, others, a hot rag. Some do nothing and some put on less than ready SS/SC while they whip up the good stuff.

Basically, "prep" is the way one goes about getting his face ready for the scrapin'. I normally am right out of the shower and straight to lathering. My beard is good and soft this way. When I happen to not be getting directly out of the shower and go to shave, I usually use a hot wet rag on my face for a minute or so, then I lather.

Some people like to use oils, balms, or pre-shave milks.

Then the lather happens. Whether it is cream or soap, this is a very important part of the prep itself since (in general anyhow) the better the lather the better the protection. So practicing getting your lather squared away is essential to getting all of the facets of your shave to click.

So, the short answer to what prep is, is all the stuff that happens up to the point that the blade hits the whiskers. Yes, you can still shave with poor prep, but if you want it all to sing, you need good prep too. I just happen to think the technique is more important than the prep, but that doesn't mean that I think the prep is unimportant. As far as "proper", well.....that is up to your own definition my friend.

:happy088

:thanks for the question. Once you figure it out, you kinda forget that there may be some people that are wondering wth you are talking about by certain terms used.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great answer.

Yup - anything done to the face up to the split second before the blade hits it.