Why I like The Shave Den

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by newb, Jul 3, 2011.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Agreed. When I ask a question, I get answers...not just everyone saying "YMMV".

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It is even more rare in the online wetshaving world. Not meaning to sound obsequious or self-congratulatory here, but The Shave Den just has a really cool ambiance, friendly, relaxed yet large enough to be informative. It is a place where one can learn and contribute without having to play forum politics, fight World War III or be bullied. That TSD is also kept out of the wetshaving forum feuds is an immensely satisfying characteristic, one of many here.

As this board grows larger, I reckon it will retain its welcoming and laid back demeanor. From what I have seen, a forum's "personality" is more a function of administration and moderation than size.

Thank you to the folks running this place and to the membership for making it what it is.

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

I agree 100% with Mr. Jones on his remarks here.

4. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

:thanks :thanks :thanks

5. DrRoly

DrRoly New Member

I signed up because of the colour scheme!

That's the truth.

However, I like TSD. It just seems more grown up than other wet shave forums. Not in terms of user age I'm sure, more in terms of people's outlook and general... Style for want of a better word.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Well it's clear you don't really have to be grown up to be a shaver, but maturity may be a result of healed scars -- whether from shaving or other wounds. Physical or otherwise...

And you must know that there is a pending upgrade on this site - perhaps with even a color scheme change.

7. DrRoly

DrRoly New Member

Sorry, I haven't been following things that closely to know about the upgrade.

I would love at least the option to keep the funky brown and orange. So easy on the eyes, and kinda groovy too.

BandB gives me a headache!

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thank you for all the kind words everyone! :)

We have no plans to alienate our members by changing the color scheme. The look will be fresh and crisp, but same color palette. And not white and bright. My eyes can't handle that, nor the real dark stuff either.

9. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

I think it looks fresh and crisp the way it is. Kinda retro - like wet shaving.
    If it ain't broke....

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :) You haven't been looking at it for 5 years.

Besides, we can't keep it exactly as it is. We're moving to completely new and different software.

And yes, the old software is broke.

11. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Well, compared to looking at my own mug in the mirror every day, it looks pretty good to me!

Anyway, I hope you don't have the rough time that the "other" forum had when they did their big upgrade.

12. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Indeed.

13. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

Completely agree with all the above. I've spent time on several forums (wetshaving and others) and feel this is the easiest place to just "hang out" around. I especially love that you dont need to be an expert or a decades long wetshaver to give help. It seems what has just been learned by the newbs (me) is just as valuable as what has been known for years. No judgement, just encouragement!

14. JCinPA

JCinPA Member

Regarding the OP, I appreciate it here. I came over here because of the issues during the B&B 'Great Migration' problems, but I still like both. This is more manageable, B&B is certainly huge. However, like any site, not so huge that you don't make a few connections with kindred spirits. For its size, I think it is remarkably civil -- try hanging around a few gun forums if you think both these places are not very civil. And you want to see feuds? Just post an opinion about a bullet shape in an ammo forum and then DUCK AND COVER!

:happy102

You gun guys will know what I mean.

Anyway, I like both places (although B&B's review section is now virtually worthless -- JoAnna, if you can learn from that mistake get software that will let you keep the reviews section like it is). But this is certainly a very, very nice place. I am waiting on my first TSD soaps, can't wait!

I do like the 'feel' here, probably due to size and post volume, but I like the other place too, it's not either/or, at least for me. This is beginning to feel like the home neighborhood, and the other place is like visiting the big city. I'm getting to like the quieter neighborhood, frankly.

15. jcwit

jcwit Member

The above is absolutly correct. But don't get to carried with your opinions here either.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just depends on how they're expressed. Be an adult, be courteous, and shouldn't be any problems.

17. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Hey! I'm an adult. Are you trying to say I'm old or something? Them's fighting words!:eek:

18. jcwit

jcwit Member

I refuse to comment any further.

19. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

seems like a bunch of genuine folks here. just people looking to help out new guys like myself...trying to expand their horizons & shaving collection
    a noob like myself is not looked down upon when i may ask a dumb or common question..

nice to be here

heck..i sent a email to another site moderator 4-5 days ago..saying i never received the link to activate my account.....still cant post over there & no reply....

whatever..im sure i have found my home

20. JCinPA

JCinPA Member

I'm 54, but definitely not an adult, to hear my wife talk about it. ;)