Lightfoot's Pine shave cream soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ourlastdefeat, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

Yes I know that the title is a little redundant with cream and soap being next to each other but that is what is on the box of the shave soap. Anyways I was on vacation recently in Wilmington NC and went to a shop downtown that sold soap and all sorts of scents and such. Well they had a small men's only section where they had some huge Omega boar brushes and a few shave creams and a couple of soaps. All of them being imported they were rather expensive, so Lightfoot's Pine shave soap was the most affordable one for me coming out to $7.50. I used it today and wow was it good! Lathered quickly and effortlessly and I probably had enough lather for 10 passes. The pine scent is really understated and isn't overpowering but when you do smell it, it smells really good. It had excellent glide and protection and like all the soaps that I use it left my face feeling clean after I was done. It is very moisturizing and I probably could have gone without putting on some AS balm but I did anyways because that's part of how I end my shaves. I would recommend this shave soap to anyone who is either just beginning to use shave soaps or who just likes to use them. So has anyone else tried this shave cream soap? If so what are your thoughts on it?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I was super excited about this soap when I ordered it, and once it was in my hands I was even more excited once I had a sniff of the beautiful piney goodness.

Alas, the scent is where it began and ended. This soap ended up for me much the same as the Marvy soap did; impossible to lather.

Was it me? My technique? Perhaps. However, there are so many soaps available that are much easier to lather that I sent the Lightfoot away, never to be seen or heard from again. Until now.

But hey; if it works for you, more power to the Lightfoot Pine!

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've always been curious about that soap, but most of the reviews I've read gave it real bad remarks on the lather or lack of.

4. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

Yes, it's the Lightfoot soap that's back from the grave to haunt you in the form of my post :happy102

I have noticed that for some reason many soaps that people say are hard to lather or don't lather at all for them, I have no problems lathering them, not sure what I'm doing differently but eh shave soaps are definitely YMMV!

The only thing I've noticed is there is a slight breakdown in lather but this isn't a big deal for me as I just do a couple of whips with the brush in the lathering mug and it's as good as new, so to speak. On Amazon it gets pretty high reviews but there aren't that many reviews which may be why it is rated high.

5. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

My impressions were the exact opposite of what you said above! I bought mine for $3 or $4 so it was very cheap. The scent was awesome, and that's why I bought it. It is my Christmas holiday soap. I found that the scent was great all the way through. Lathered OK, but was not thick and broke down quickly. Too thin for decent protection. I'll use it again, when I want that scent, but I'll probably mix it in with some arko or something else to give the lather more substance.

6. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

I use the Lightfoot. I found it originally at
    the Vermont Country Store. It is the only shaving soap I actually like the scent of.
    I wrote a review similar to yours. Sometimes the lather fell apart before icompleted my 4 passes. I never did figure out why. I simply swirled more soap onto my brush if I needed more.
    But I got tired of doing that. So I grated my Lightfoots and a puck of Classic Shavings unscented original soap. Then I mixed the two together. Now it is one of my favorites. Still that great smell but now a great lather that lasts thanks to the glycerin based Classic Shaving soap.

Phil