Gillette Guard's. Has any one tried them yet?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Brian, Jul 4, 2011.

?

Do you think the Guard should be sold here in the states, if so, would you buy it?

1. Yes, we should have the option to buy it.

33.3%
  2. No, I'd rather pay threw the nose for their other carts.

2.2%
  3. I'd like to try it.

22.2%
  4. No thanks, only DE for me.

53.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

If they would sell it in North America, i think they wouldn't even make publicity for it , qualifying the Guard on the same level as the Good News disposable and the price would be a lot more than what we can pay for Guard razors and carts over Ebay.

2. bc9

bc9 Member

I think if they were to be sold in the US they would magically become $9.95 for the handle & $3.00 a piece for the refills...

3. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

I agree!

4. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

Of course it's only made for the "emerging markets"... Places where DE razors and blades are still very popular.

Put out a cheap razor, cut the number of people using the old DE equipment to a fraction of it's previous users, force a few more DE blade manufacturers out of business, discontinue the "cheap cartridge" razor once there are fewer (or none) DE blade manufacturers in existence who are making *quality* DE blades.

Once the DE blade factories that can make GOOD DE blades are closed, they won't be back...

Once profit margins in those plants that do remain are so thin and tight that proper equipment maintenance/alignment/replacement of grinding/honing components ceases, then the only place shavers have to turn for a sharp razor blade will be the cartridge manufacturers.

No, I think I will avoid giving *any* of my money to Gillette, AOS, and any other manufacturer who will benefit from the demise of the DE blade.

5. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

IMO the Guard don't affect at all the DE market in India, it just offer another option to peoples with lower money income.

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it is more of a disposable killer... or a cheap cartridge similar to a trac 2 or atra.

I hope it doesn't effect the DE market... might push up DE blade prices eventually but I don't see all DE blade makers going out of business too soon because of this.

Anybody else have reviews of this razor?

7. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

Thats the thing... it's not a short term killer, but a long term killer of the DE blade. Since the vast majority of DE blades are marketed to low income families in old world countries, rather than increase the price, the first thing that will happen is costs, and hence quality will be cut.

Don't believe for a minute that a big company like Gillett isn't looking to expand sales over the next 20+ years.

8. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

:sihns011

I have to add a thought. Steel costs so much per ton. Plastic Injection Molding has come a loooong way and is cheap. Gillette, and others, are in the business of selling sharp steel for shaving. If you have 1 ton of the right steel how many DE blades can you make from it compared to how many of the small thin "NARROW" steel blades that fit into plastic? They are still selling razor blades, just now they are packaging them into plastic rather tha "in the loose'. If you could make 1 million DE blades from X lbs of treated steel, then how many could you make from the same X lbs of steel, making them thin....narrow? Probably 6 million, maybe more or less, but steel still costs the same whether you make them for DE or for the micro small blades that are machine assembled in the plastic injection holders, be thy just "heads" or complete razors.

9. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I have to admit to some interest in absolutely any razor, straight, classic safety razor, modern disposables and cartridges, even electrics. That doesn't mean I'll actually buy them all.

The Guard just doesn't fill any need or want for me. I'm resigned to the fact that Gillette, Schick, and other modern brands make whatever they think will maximize their profits, and don't care about the preferences of eccentrics like myself. I have enough Atra and Trac II cartridges to last for all those rare occasions when I'd "have" to use them, travel situations where I wasn't able to mail my regular blades ahead, and didn't want to check luggage. If I were stranded somewhere without any of my regular shave stuff, Bic single blade disposables work well enough, and are in many stores. There's no point in going to any special trouble to get the Guards, if Gillette doesn't want to sell them in American stores.

10. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Will we have a choice? An analogy would be Records, 8-Tracks, Cassettes, CD, MP3s, ipods and even Satelite (Sirus/XM) radio. Offer it, and it shall come. We just have to continue to purchase DE shaving supplies. After all I have ADs to support...:happy102

11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I just ordered the razor with one cart on Friday, and it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I wanted to try it just because I like to keep up with what's going on in the razor world. It wouldn't replace my DE even if it shaves great, but I might consider using it for travel, as the Bic line of razors don't agree with my skin.