Witch Hazel Relief-I mean real relief-poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Dslazar9, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I have a wicked poison ivy outbreak ALL OVER. On day 3 of the strongest
    steroid goop made (it's the Iced Subzero steroid creams), lots of attempts with oatmeal stuff....it finally occurred to me to try using my home mentholated Witch Hazel-it was amazing relief. Witch Hazel is a generally accepted treatment for poison ivy and why I didn't think of it sooner.....well it's true that when a physician treats himself he has a fool for a patient.

Many thanks to Bob (Battle Munky) for sending me those menth crystals so long ago. They have lasted me a long time.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Glad your getting some relief. How'd you get the ivy itch to begin with?

3. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Ive had a bad case myself , the stuff is so evil Im supprised no one has tried to use it a weapon war the stuff is so nasty

4. Dslazar9

It's been in my back yard for many years. This year I'm like Bill Murray from Caddyshack-obsessed with ridding my backyard of this scourge. I've been pouring nasty chemicals on it since early spring, cutting out branches at the root. I thought I had it beat. I pulled out (carelessly without gloves as I was getting cocky about winning) what I thought was another dead branch and it sprung back and attacked me. I may have lost a battle, but I"LL WIN THIS WAR. ...anybody know of a landscaper who pulls poison ivy in the Chicago area?:eek:

I am completely dismayed that poison ivy was not included as one of the plagues-I mean locusts? They taste pretty good with peanut butter. Boils? Even our Derby blades can lance a boil; throw in some Bactrim or Clindamycin and it's a goner.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Danny - I feel your pain with the Poison Ivy. I have been pretty good this year, but last year was the worst I have ever gotten it when I hit a giant vine of the stuff with my chainsaw. It seemed like I breathed it in and had to go for steroid shots. It was a terrible month.

I still have a little left myself. Thanks Bob you are quite the enabler. :)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bummer about the poison ivy. Hope you're over it soon.

If I get it, I have to go to the doc's for steroids. It's the only thing that'll clear me up.

I had a showdown with a bunch of poison ivy in my back yard a few years back. I cut and pulled out what I could, then hit the rest, to include the exposed cut ends of the stumps, with Round-Up Poison Ivy and Tough Brush weed killer. Haven't seen any since.

7. jcwit

jcwit Member

Years ago when I was just a boy, back in the 50's, they came out with a product to make one immune to Poison Ivy and Oak. Started in Jan or Feb with a drop in a glass of juice for a period of 1 week then 2 drops, then 3 drops till you got up to whatever the max was. It worked wonders for me as I've never had it since and yes I've pulled the plants and roots out by hand without gloves. Problem was some people were allergic to the cure and got deathly sick.

In this day and age it seems odd that we cannot find a cure to something as simple as this.

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Ohh Nooo!!! Glad the W-H is giving you some relief....And thanks to Bob for opening your menthol pipe-line...:happy102
    Hope you are free from this venomous weed's vengence soon...and feelling great !!
    Thats funny...I didn't know about W-H's secret life as poison ivy reliever...When I was a kid I was always getting it and my Dad always had W-H but Mom always swore by Calamine lotion, which pretty much did nothing...:) but help dry it up...

9. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Round Up will not kill The poison ivy, you actually need a herbicide designed to kill woody stem plants. If I lived close to I could fix you up. I have some stuff called crossbow and mix it with roundup, It is designed to kill woody stem weeds and small trees. You actually have to cut the vine and spray soak the stump. Its terribly hard to get rid off.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Correct. Another product available is:

[​IMG]

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/77-488-brush-killer/ortho-brush-b-gon-poison-ivy-killer-274241.aspx

11. Dslazar9

Thanks for the helpful and supportive responses. I will definitely get that OrthoMax stuff. I'd put Agent Orange on it if I could get my hands on some-WAR I tell you. :transport024:transport024:transport024

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

<shrug> Worked for me. [​IMG] Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Sorry that you have the poison ivy and the ensuing war Danny, but I sure am glad that the menthol is helping the WH soothe. You too Dale, glad its treating you right.

Funny thing is, I've never had poison ivy. Used to play out in the woods all the time growing up in FL, 4 years of playing in the woods as a jarhead, and offroading in my Jeep. You'd think I'd have come in contact with it at some point. Maybe I have a natural immunity or something.....

Now kudzu and smilax, that is a war I have fought hard and still haven't won.

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Only cold temperatures and / or desert areas defeat kudzu! :D

15. DonR

DonR Active Member

Hope you feel better soon. I'm breaking out just reading about the stuff. Good luck getting rid of it.