Other Sharp Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fishcrow, Jul 12, 2011.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

We have a wide choice of DE Blades to choose from. That is the great thing about wet shaving are the choices. The Feather blade is known for it's sharpness. I recieved a Gillette Silver blue in a sample, I find it to be a very sharp blade that rivals that of a Feather.

What other blades has anyone tried that are rivals in sharpness to that of a Feather?

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Quite honestly, the only blade that I have tried that is anywhere near as sharp as a feather is the KAI. There are plenty of nice blades that are pretty sharp, but I believe the feather stands above the rest with the KAI a close second.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Treet Dura Sharp Classics come as close as your going to get.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

KAI

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow

5. Godan

Godan Member

The Kai is probably closest. Recently, I was very pleasantly surprised by Lord Platinum. Perhaps I just have an unusually sharp batch, but two of them behaved very well in my Feather Stainless.

6. troy

troy Member

Personna Barber................i like it over the Feather because i only get maybe 2-3 shaves out of a feather, i get 6-7 out of the personna.

7. Woodmaker

Woodmaker New Member

Gillette Rubie,here in the Philippines is all there is but it gave me 7 shaves one of the blades and they continue to do so although I am using them for just 5 shaves now,after all 6 blades costs less than a dollar.

8. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Blades are always a Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) issue. What works for me may not work for you. I find the Feathers too sharp and actually don't receive a very good shave from them until after they have been used several times. I prefer the Merkurs (100+), NOS Wilkies (100+), Derby's (100+), No Name Israeli (I have several hundred), Lords,harks, Astras, Oh crap I have enough razor blades to last a very long time. My point is that just because it is sharp doesn't mean it will give you a good shave. As always: YMMV. :D

9. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I like astras, gillette 7 0 clock blacks and shark super chrome.

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The new Silver Star blades by LORD come very close for me. Astras and 7 O'Clock Sharpedge (yellow) would be very sharp also, but not quite the same level. I haven't tried KIA blades, but have heard from trusted sources they are on the same level as feathers.

That said, I don't find the absolute sharpest blades the best - at least in most razors. I think it's important to try a variety of blades to find what works for you and not make any conclusion about any blade until you've tried it.

11. I believe that everyone has their own idea on the blades more 'or less crisp and sharp. Found that feather are the most 'cutting edge (but not the most' popular ...) there are many blades around that are just as sharp and crisp, though less durable! The yellow Gillette, Personna platinum, iridium super, gillette platinum are certainly among the best and do not leave a bitter taste, but I found it really good muster the super platinum, and platinum plus satinex.

12. Picky

Picky New Member

IMHO Kai kicks the hell out of the Feather.Much smoother, more precise, everything! Although there might be a quaility control issue.It is cheap than the Feather and lasts longer.Feather dies on the 3rd shaves even on people with mild beirds.

13. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

10-4 on the YMMV saying. Feathers were my all time favorite but have found a few others that work equally as well. There are so many factors, i.e. time of year, beard growth/ thickness, and type of razor used and soap or cream and prep. I am now convinced it would take me several hundreds of dollars in razors and blades and about 10 years and a huge log book to write down each result, to find the "perfect set up. Good luck in your quest.

14. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Definitely shaving different real estate here ... but other than a Feather .. the KAI kicks it.

I am prone to irritation and razor burn should the blade be too sharp and harsh. The Feather .. too much for me. The KAI, I can shave with it, but have to be careful.

Sharp with some cushion .. Super Max Super Platinum's and Gillette 7OC Black.

15. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

YMMV

I have a very heavy beard and have gotten 11 shaves out of one Feather. It's one of those YMMV thing I am sure.

16. Tuco

Tuco Member

Personna Lab/Med.

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Perma-Sharp Super...not as sharp as a Feather but sharper than most anything else I've tried...I have not tried the Kai...But I have tried most of the others talked about around here....Razors are probably the GREATEST single proponent of the YMMV-factor...So whether you prefer them or not; I do; is up for grabs, but I don't think many who have tried them would argue that the Perma-Sharps are in the ultra sharp catagory and should be test if you are looking for SHARP...Also Crackstar one time said something about the Sputniks being a Russian Feather...:)

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

For me, Super Max Super Stainless and Voskhods are great values that rival Feathers. I like 7-O'clock yellows and blacks too, but for their price they don't seem that much better, or better at all. Astras used to by my favorite, now they are benched by better blades at better prices. Will have to try the Kai, Gillette Blues, and Personna Barber sometime. I have also heard that the Psrsonna Medicals are quite sharp.

19. GreenCreed

GreenCreed Member

I agree with the Feather call outs...Could be the perfect blade if I can get more than 3-4 shaves out of it.