1971 Gillette Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gibbs, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Received this the other day, and have found the right time and sunlight to take pictures. Somebody's Grandfather or Dad got this 1971 for a present, likely, and was already using some other method of shaving and merely put it away in the sock drawer for all these years. Well, that's about as good of a guess as I could come up with. When I got it, the condition seemed more than immaculate, it was, well, new. The razor itself shows no indication of having ever been used. It came with a 2 pack Gillette razors in a silver razor container, and if you look it still has 2 razor blades in there.

The top of the case, with no sign of rubs or scratches, as new as if it were sitting on a store shelf.
    [​IMG]

With the top of the clear case cover off. Numbers are crisp and black and metal bright and shiny, all working perfectly.

[​IMG]

Image showing the razor next to the silver 2 pack blades and there are 2 blades left in the holder.

[​IMG]

R-3 date codes on the bottom indicating 1971 3rd quarter. I graduated in 1971 and well could have looked at one just like this that summer out of High School.

Just thought I'd post it for those that want to see a 1971 Gillette.

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very nice Short Handled Super! :happy088

Mine has turned out to be my favorite Gillette adjustable, and I hope you enjoy the shaves as much as I do when I use mine.

3. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Thanks Bill!
    Just out of curiosity about another matter, I have a 1977 razor X4 where my son was born in November of 1977, and I noticed that the bottom of the head is plastic and the year-quarter lettering was put in the top next to the blade. You see the date code when you open up the "silo" doors before putting in a blade. When did they start that, with the plastic bottom and how long did they keep that up with putting the date codes inside the razor?

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Beauty score, Vern! Enjoy!! :happy088:happy088

5. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Nice Score

Very nice Vern! I read somewhere that the plastic bottom plate was a cost saving measure that started in 1977. Looks like you got a rare first year there! How is the shave compared to other razors in your den?

6. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Thanks, all!! About the shave: This shaves the same as all the other adjustables. In my experience I found (so far) that once I dial it in around 6-7 on an adjustable, that the shave is pretty much consistent from 1959, 1962, 1966 and so on, even on 1977. The variable seems to be the blade. With the many I have to try out, most every one of them has been a very nice shave. The Israeli Personas seem to be a bit better, but only by a hair :eek: .

I have shaved with a few unusual "new" blades, like Rapira, Gillette (Thailand) Super Thins, LORD from Egypt, Dollar General Israeli blades, and so on. Personally, I think most all of these newer Platinum coated blades I've tried are worlds better than any of the vintage blades 30 or so years ago. Now, I'm basing that on remembering, not on using a 30-40 year old blade ....today. There's 2 blades in this pack, and I'll leave it at 2 blades. I'm curious, but not that curious. I've got too many other blades to try to worry about what these Gillette Platinum Plus blades are like.

I think if someone has tried DE in the past and had weepers, and irritation, perhaps they should re-think and try some of the newer blades in their razors. One might be quite surprised.

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice score Vern! That adjustable looks nice and it's from my birth year and quarter! Enjoy it.

8. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Great score on a beautiful razor!

9. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

Beautiful razor!

10. jcwit

jcwit Member

Very Nice. That storm sure blew in a nice one, right?

Best
    jcwit

11. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Yep, sure did! :D

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent specimen! The short handled supers ones are hard to come by. I have one, but not in that good of shape.

Enjoy!

13. Brian

Brian Active Member

So will you be using the '71 or keeping it as part of your collection? A great score by the way.

14. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Thanks everyone! Brian, yes, I used it with a Rapira blade (I believe) and it was about as good as it gets for a shave. I opened it up, set the dial to 7 and inserted blade and turned the TTO stem and it snugged right down, with the normal 1/4 turn. Blade was even on both sides and went very smoothly. After done I removed the blade and a hot water rinse and alcohol afterward and dried with the doors open. Looks like it did before. If everyone that had shaved did the cleaning of the soap off their razors many would be about as good a shape as the day they got them. I got a 1962 the other day for $8.00 and it had some dried soap scum on the top of the doors near the blade edge. I got it off, but you can see that it did a little minor pitting to the original finish. Cleaned it all up and it adjusts, locks just like it did when it was nearly new way back in 1962. That year is my wife's birth year, so it was a nice addition. Short handle, metal, adjustable Gillette.

I try to shave with every razor I have, even the old 1854 Ramapo Co. straight razor I have. It was in great shape with just some patina on it. Imagine, shaving with something that shaved men during the Civil War era!

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

Very nice. Your right, there is something about history that makes shaving with vintage just more special IMHO.