what razor do you use?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by alpla444, Jul 18, 2011.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

what i mean by this is , most people here have more than 1 razor so which do you use ie is there a depending factor like amount of hair growth, how your skin is that day oily/dry or is it more today i just wanna use .........

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Well I prefer my NEW for when I have a couple days growth. It seems to mow it down with less passes.

I enjoy my slim when I feel like I want to dial it down mild and do many passes for a more relaxing experience.

But for skin being oily or what not, the thing I change is my aftershave. If oily just a splash if dry splash and balm or just balm.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I try to rotate them. It is just a matter of what I feel like when it is time to change the blade. I chose a razor and a blade and I use it for 3-4 days. And then I chose again.

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That is about the same here. I grab the one that strikes my fancy and then use it for a few days until the blade is worn out. I rarely move blades from one razor to another.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use a different DE every day Mon. thru Fri.
    I use a different str8 every Sat.
    I use a different SE every Sun.

Which one do I use? Very seldom will I use the same razor two days in a row or even twice in the same week. I just grab one that I think has been too long since the last time I used it.

6. TheGravedigger

TheGravedigger New Member

I use the same Gillette Slim every day. I have a Super Speed that I keep in my travel kit. It's a bit milder than the Slim set on 7, which works out well, as my technique tends to suffer a bit when traveling.

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I'm with Steve on this. I just grab one that I think has not been used in a while. I don't have any set routine as far as choosing razors. Sometimes I feel like using one particular razor, so I use it. It doesn't matter how much growth I have or what my skin condition is like.

8. GreenCreed

GreenCreed Member

I was just using modern razors when I first started(EJ89,34D etc). Now Im on a vintage kick!

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've been using an EJ89L since October? as my main razor, and just traded my slant for my first open comb. I've been hankering for the OC expierience, so we'll see how it goes. In my time of using DE's, I've noticed that the modern do a more comfortable shave than the vintage razors I was using.

10. GreenCreed

GreenCreed Member

+1....I still havent found a vintage razor/blade combo that I love(I havent tried that hard yet), but almost anything works in my EJ89

11. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I have 5 str8s and seven DE's. Ever since I received my Aristocrat as a gift from my son, Bob, I have used it exclusively. I truly think that the Aristocrat is set in such a way that it gives the finest shaves with anyone of 3 different blades that I've tried with it. He feels the same about his EJ razor. I guess if you try long enough, you'll find that "special" one that works best for your needs. I am going well into 4 weeks using this razor, and don't have any desire to opt for the others, yet.

12. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Sunday & Wednesday mornings - 39C Sledge Slant
    Most other mornings - 1904 bar.
    Occasionally - 25C OC

If I have a special function to attend that evening, then I'll change things up and use the Slant that day too.

13. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

I usually grab whatever strikes my fancy for that day, and most day's I'll pick out my shave kit before I go to sleep (5am wake up call does not help with early decision making). I have one razor that I use for special occasions (1956 Diplomat), everything else is fair game but like Steve said I try to make sure none get too dusty. :D

14. Adama

Adama Member

This is pretty close to what I do. The longest I use any one razor is 6 days. I usually use my 1912 Ever Ready on the weekends.

15. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I'm one of those people who has ended up with way too many razors, even after giving away a number of duplicates. I've at least tried to shave with all of them, and I suppose they're in several categories.

• Reliables: Gem Junior Bar or 1912, Kampfe SCS, type E injector, among others. If I just need to get the job done without fuss, I'll pick one of these.
    • Good razors: Auto-Strops, many of my DEs. They work well enough, and can get rotated in. Just not my absolute favorites.
    • Interesting razors. My oldest style Kampfe Lather Catcher, Burham SE razor, Gillette Old Style, etc. I like trying to shave with them, but don't always get the best results.
    • Haven't gotten them to work yet. I guess only my Rolls razors are in that category now. Haven't given up on them totally, but it will be a while before I try to make them work again.
    • Display items. Schick H1 injector, a couple of scarier DEs. I gave them a shot, and they're interesting enough that I don't want to get rid of them. Not going to bother trying to shave with them again.

Or am I overthinking this?;)

ObiDon likes this.
  16. jcwit

jcwit Member

At present my daily razor is the LORD L6.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Hmmmm, I almost hate this question. It makes me think of all of the stuff I have that I don't use and should probably sell......

Ever since I got my Ej 89 I don't really want to use anything else. I may have found my favorite. I do like my HD and my slant though.....the rest don't really compete in my book. I do, however, really enjoy my injectors though so they will definitely be inserted into my rotation that really isn't a rotation anymore, more like a break in between using my 89. Slant will be reserved for those days when I have gone a few days without shaving just because that thing will kick a whisker's butt and its fun to watch it do so.

But as my dad said above, I think I've found my razor and the way that it holds blades seems to make it not only comfortable but allows the blade to last a few shaves (if not more) longer. I can honestly say that the 89 was the best money I have spent thus far, well maybe the Aristocrat I got for Dad, but for myself it most certainly is, and not that much to boot.

18. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

ive only used my de89 and have no desire to try anything else....ill chalk it up to honing my technique

19. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

I've been using my 40's SS for the last few weeks and love it. I just received a 1930 New Short OC and I'm itching to try it!

20. Old Man Army

Old Man Army Member

It depends on the day and what strikes my fancy. I like the way my Hoffritz slant feels, the heft and the way the head holds the heat from the hot water. I also like the way my Gillette old type feels. Again it has a nice heft to it. I ocassionally use my late 40's super speed when I feel like a nice mild shave and when I want something completely different I break out my GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf. I would love to try an Aristocrat some time.