Some Honing Gymnastics with a TI

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Jul 27, 2011.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I just sent this one back home (I will leave the Member's name out he can post if he wants) but before I did I took some snaps, as this is a classic Whoops !!! and I thought it would make for some good discussion..

Background on the razor, it came from an Online vendor which I will leave nameless, in fact it was sent as a replacement for one that was unsatisfactory :mad:

You have to look close at the bevel to see the damage that was done to the edge

[​IMG]
    IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

Now I used a variation of the classic "Bread-knifing" to take that out, starting at about a 60 degree angle of attack using some Japanese style honing on a DMT 325.. I dropped to 40 degrees, then 20, then 3 layers of tape on the spine..
    I kept that gentle TI smile and then moved to the Chosera 1k to reset a bevel with 1 layer of tape...

IMHO It looked as though when it was honed originally, they dinged the bevel dragging it off the the edge of a hone and gave it a slight wrinkle there..
    Instead of correcting it, they just continued to hone it, and made it worse :(

Anyway here is the corrected edge

After.jpg

After 2.jpg

I thought maybe we could discuss some bevel correction techniques here

2. tristen

tristen Member

Actually, I'm not familiar with the breadknife method. I have a razor that looks like a frown, and I was wondering about how to straighten out the bevel

Looks like it was sharpened with one of those sharpening rods

It's from WW1 so I can understand the odd bevel via being used in the field

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    If you go on Youtube and search "gssixgun" you will find my channel and hidden away there, with a ton of warnings is a Breadknifing vid. I have never linked it on the forums because too many Newbs try it on way to many razors that don't need that kind of work...
    Read the warnings :eek:

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Ahhhhhhhhhh Glen, you knew that would draw me out! :cool: This was a razor my lovely wife purchased for me as a birthday gift.
    It arrived home this afternoon and I'm excited to give it a try tomorrow.That TI in the horn is a beauty and now it looks fantastic all the way around!
    Thank you for the save and Best regards,

5. tristen

tristen Member

Cool, that was pretty much what i thought it was going to be, but it's nice to get it along with some advice to boot. I heard you rambling about warnings the whole video, hehe... i think my frowning razor prolly fits the bill though... it should at least be straight when i get done with it ^_^
    I'm thinking this is most likely the best method, unless you can think of something that will work better for sad-faced razors.

I have a 400 grit waterstone that should just about work perfectly for this project.

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Just so yawl know, Glen did a fantastic job with this razor. I shaves like a dream! I thank you sir!

gssixgun likes this.