The forum upgrade, and what to expect.

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by sparky5693, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    As most of you know, there's been a forum upgrade looming over our heads for awhile now (I've been quietly working on it in the background for months now). Things have been going really well, and I believe we'll be going forward with the upgrade in the next couple days.

We'll be moving to the Xenforo software platform. The company that owned vbulletin (our current software) was sold some time ago. Shortly thereafter, most of the team that created the software found themselves unemployed. They gathered themselves together, and created a new platform, called Xenforo. While Xenforo is new, it's been created by those same people, that I would call the most experienced in their field. They were able to take everything they learned, and start all over. I believe they've created the best forum platform ever.

Forums as most of you know them, are often filled with features that have been created by third party developers (kinda like apps for a smartphone, although a bit more tricky to install). Xenforo has been very popular with these third party developers, and some of the more known names have went to Xenforo development exclusively. Upon our initial move to Xenforo, you'll probably notice that many of the features you're accustomed to are no longer there. Once i'm convinced all is well with our core forum, i'll begin adding these features back in one at a time, so that I can better isolate any problems that may arise. We'll likely be using a mix of third party add-ons, and some custom stuff i've written myself. A few of the add-ons currently ran on our vbulletin forum are listed below.

Our homepage, arcade, chat, chatbox, itrader, reviews, recipe section, gallery, and the rss reader.

There will be problems with the review section when we move. This add-on has been mostly abandoned by it's creator. I expect it to be broken in the move, and i'm still looking over the best method to replace it with something that will not leave us in this position again.

I expect the upgrade to take hours, maybe the better part of a day. The new software is already installed, but moving the member list, and posts will take some time, and I can't start that process until the vb forum goes offline. Hopefully i'll have a better idea on time once I get started. Unexpected things can certainly happen, but i'm doing everything possible to limit that possibility.

I'm really excited about this move. Xenforo is a very modern piece of software. In my opinion, vbulletin really looks dated compared to the rest of the internet (especially our 3.8 version). I've been around it so much I really didn't notice it until I started working with Xenforo. You'll notice faster, smoother pages. When you do something in vbulletin (like make a post), a page load is required to see your new post. With xenforo, you make a post, and it slides into it's position without reloading the entire page. Things like this seem small, but they save time on loading, and save resources to the server.

For our new design, we didn't settle on anything. I've called in favors from around the world. You'll not see this design on any other forum, as it's truly custom and just perfect for us. It brings a rich feel, and certainly feels like "The Den" that we are. I'm really excited for you all to see the improvements.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088:happy088 Can't wait! Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the update, AND all the hard work you've put into making this happen.

3. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Great News - Thank you for all that you do for the forum!

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy096 :happy108

Thank you for all the hard work, Sparky.

I hope we can all be patient and supportive during the upgrade.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks for all the hard work.

Will the store be down during the migration or is that a separate entity?

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Thanks for all your hard work and looking forward to seeing what you have been up to!

So when is upgrade day?

Bird Lives likes this.
  7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Sounds great! I can't wait to see it!

Bird Lives likes this.
  8. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    The store, and any other TSD related websites will remain up.
    If things continue going as well as they are, maybe as soon as tomorrow afternoon.

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

This is gonna be cool to see. I predict it'll be smooth sailing with all of the pre planning that has taken place.

Bird Lives likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Looking forward to it and ready to do it! Thanks Sparky!

>crosses fingers we don't have any major issues<

Might I suggest using the site-wide site notice feature to briefly inform members and visitors alike and direct them to this thread.. at least for a day before pulling the plug. If of course you have that part of vbulletin installed.

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Thanks for providing us with the only forum that I frequent! I am proud to be a member and am eagerly awaiting our new baby!

Bird Lives likes this.
  12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I am not only proud to be a member and a part of this Forum, but it has become a 2nd home for me. :) Bobby and JoAnna, thanks so much for your great work.

Bird Lives likes this.
  13. colosilverado

colosilverado Active Member

...I can only echo what has already been said. As a noobie, I am glad that I have found a place like this, with people like this.

This is a great community that has appeal world-wide! This is a nice melting pot (scuttle?) for people to enjoy so many things and learn not only cultures, but an awesome tradition and hobby.

:signs110:happy096

Bird Lives likes this.
  14. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

:sihns011

Bird Lives likes this.
  15. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your hard work.
    Change can be good.
    Looking forward to the new platform !

Bird Lives likes this.
  16. Brian

Brian Active Member

Hard to find the words to say it better than that. Well put.

Thanks for all of the hard work.

Bird Lives likes this.
  17. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

A cheers for all the work put in! Excited to see the new look.

Bird Lives likes this.
  18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Thanks for all your time and effort. Looking forward to it!

Bird Lives likes this.
  19. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

I live in a world of daily change ... Thank You for the dedication you have committed to with this forum. I say, "Bring It On!" ;)

We will do what we do best; we will adapt, we will overcome, we will flourish in our new surroundings! :D

Bird Lives likes this.
  20. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Great work to all involved behind the scenes! Most of all to you Bobby. We're really looking forward to see your hard work pay off soon.

Bird Lives likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.