what razor do you use?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by alpla444, Jul 18, 2011.

1. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I'm still fairly new to TWS so my stash of razors is both small & not completely tested. I have 5 razors (2 DEs, 1 Injector, & 2 newly acquired SEs). I don't have any blades yet for the injector so that is still on the to-do list. My first DE is the Merkur 33C which has seen the most use, practically all of my shaves. My other DE is a Ball End Gillette Tech that was my grandfather's. It's too mild for me but my wife uses it on her legs. Of my 2 new SEs I've only had 2 shaves with one so far. I'm using this one for a week then I'll use the other for a week to see which works best for me. I'm really liking the SEs right now. Maybe because it's a new challenge, but I have also had my best 2 shaves ever on my first 2 attempts in the SE world.

Basically I'm still trying to find what works best for me. I recommend that you try as many options as possible so you can find what works for you & then you can tailor your shave experience to whatever you like each and every day (or however often it is that you shave).

2. greyhawk

greyhawk New Member

It depends...sometimes, I just feel like using a particular razor for no real reason. Other times, I'll take a look and realize there are a couple I haven't shown any love for a while, so I'll choose one of those to keep the rotation going. In any event, it has more to do with how I'm feeling than my beard condition.

3. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I don't really rotate that much. I have 7 DE razors and one str8t, but 95% of the time I use my Merkur Futur, and I use the str8t razor on the weekend. Once in awhile, when I change blades, I'll also change razors for the life of that blade, but then I usually go right back to the Futur.

4. Godan

Godan Member

Recently, I have been spending quality time with a Feather All Stainless and an Ikon Modern - to my good fortune, one of only eighty made. Both are quality, subtle devices, to my mind completely different from modern razors cast from a soft zinc alloy. The Feather and Ikon are said to be "mild," but each has a unique sweet spot that will give as close a shave as any DE. Using Feather blades and taking my time, I am enjoying using them.

5. Rusty Wilkinson

Rusty Wilkinson New Member

I use primarily a Parker 89R, but that is quickly changing as I am using a Micromatic Clog Pruf more and more. I've also got a Merkur Progress that I plan to get ride of, just don't like it.

6. Tuco

Tuco Member

The Merkur Futur.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's great to use the modern razors & don't neglect the beautiful & effective Joris. But personally I can't get the shave I want from any but vintage razors. For very little money the fat handled Tech is excellent. But the British Rocket HD - for just a little money more - can't be beat. If you haven't tried one yet you haven't really experienced DE at it's finest.

Then the Aristicrat Jr. A heavier version of the HD. And the silver-plated New Improved -- for heft balance & smooth shaving. The list could go on, including the Tuckaway & rhodium-plated Brits. Or you could stop right there.

But please do try these vintage & classic razors for the ultimate shaving experience.

8. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

EJ89L most of the time. Occasionally a 66 Gillette Tech. I sold the Slim I had.

9. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I'm with Rusty here. This is my first week shaving with an SE & it too happens to be a Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf. It gives me a much closer & smoother shave with less irritation than my DEs. Next week I'll be giving my Gem Jr a spin. YMMV, but for me I'm leaning more & more to the SEs with each shave.

10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

thanks for all the replys

thanks for all your opinions, im just gonna collect a few more razors, try em with differt blades and soaps then whittle down the razor's to just a hand full

11. kaseri

kaseri New Member

Merkur 34c

12. DLB

DLB New Member

I have 28 straight razors representing six countries (USA, Germany, Sweden, France, England, and Spain). I rotate through all of them. I also have five DE razors including: EJ 89L, F2 Fatboy, 1965 Slim adjustable, and two 1938-45 Techs.

If I didn't rotate and had to reduce the collection to the bare minimum, I would keep the 6/8 Thiers-Issard Le Grelot, the Fatboy, and the EJ 89L.

The TI LG is my favorite razor! It feels like a natural extension of my hand and arm.

13. Have a Gillette 7 o'clock which I bought in 1990, a merkur 39c, and a hart steel straight 6/8. I just rotate them. Also have a dovo 6/8 coming, along with a strop. I'm ashamed of even writing this but I also have a trac ll and Gillette mach lll. Both retired in the den. Even use to use barbasol in the can. So glad to of gotten into de, straights, mug & brush shaving. Mainly did it for nostalgic reasons. But maybe it us better for the environment too.

14. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I have four razors. three were given to me by my step dad before he passed away. I use the Gillette Slim he gave me when I am home. When I am on the road I use a lord tech so I don't have to worry if I loose it.

15. alphage

alphage Member

II prefer to use a Gillette DE razor. That means either a Super Speed or a Tech.
    I also have a Fatboy and a Feather Portable and a Lux, but I prefer the razors in the first line.

16. troy

troy Member

just 1 EJ87

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: Pretty much how I do it, but I'll usially put a couple of blades through a razor before I switch it out.

18. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

First post on this forum. Hi Folks!

I begin by deciding which blade I'm going to use, that is, SE or DE. Then I just pop it in the razor that tickles me that day. I use the blade until it gives up the ghost, but I do put it in other razors as it suits me day by day.

Back to this... I had to leave.

I have far too many razors, but my favs are the SE razors as well.
    Featherweight (love)
    G-Bar (not so much, but it gives a good shave)
    OCMM (love)
    Various AutoStrops (love)
    And 2 more coming in: a Damaskeene and an EverReady

I use DE too, love some, use some.
    40s Gold Tech (love with the sharpest blades) If you want a great shave out of the ball end Tech put an ultra sharp blade in it, Feather, Gillette Yellow, Personna Med Prep and you'll get one, and you'll have to work to draw blood.
    Gillette Black Handle (love with the sharpest blades)
    Slim Adjustable (love/hate relationship)

I gave a slim fixed head away and that was another great shave with ultra sharp blades. The gent who has it now tells me it's boring- it's a great shave with no possibility of blood. Good way to describe it.

19. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

My everyday shave is with my EJ DE89L with Feather blades. If I'm in a hurry I just grab my Trac II.

EJ DE89L & Feather Blades.jpeg

20. bittenfatten

bittenfatten New Member

I use the very same combination and love it. I gave my Trac II to my wife, though.