Rolls Razor Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rudley, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Rudley

Rudley New Member

I have been refurbishing a number of these old bits of shaving arcana, and decided on a test drive, to see what my forbearers deemed state–of–the–art. As mechanical works of art, they are magnificent, from case to internals. My anticipation was to include a Rolls in the regular rotation, and then to consider adding a straight (current rotation consists of Mergress XL, Merkur 38C, Jagger 89L, Gillette Fatboy, Gold Aristocrat, and a couple Superspeeds). The Mergress and Jagger are my go-to units, and I favor the Israeli red and blue Personnas.

Began the morning with the standard prep; Hot shower, Chagrin Valley shampoo bar, and soap. Hot towel for 2 minutes (microwave for 45 seconds).

Lather today: mix of TOBS Mr. Taylor’s shave cream and Razorock XXX semi-soft soap.

The Rolls blade had just been made shave-ready by ‘A Sharper Razor’ in Az. Solid service and turn-around.

I let the lather sit for a bit, and then began with the sides of my face. Definitely a different technique needed than with the DE’s: much shorter strokes, different angle, and more water called for in the lather than usual. Might try some glycerin in the mix next time. I made a first pass on either cheek, and assessed.

Not as smooth a process as with the DE’s; some juddering present. I reassessed, and rather than continue on to some of my more tender parts, opted to finish up with the Jagger.

Closed with a cold rinse, alum block, 2nd cold rinse, and then some Floid Amber followed with Trumper’s Coral skin food.

Overall, for me, this may evolve into a once weekly practice. Definitely more time-consuming than working with a modern DE loaded with a coated blade, and I’m sure my technique would need adjustment on neck and upper lip areas, in order to be both comfortable and close. I’ll continue on with the experiment, and perhaps when the refurbishing is complete on the remaining 4 units, will offer them up to others.

Rudley

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I know I'm being lazy with this question so I thank you for humoring and enabling my laziness this morning. Can the Rolls Razor accept a modern single edge blade? Or does it have to use the original wedge blades?

3. Rudley

Rudley New Member

It is a system, so gotta use the originals

Rudley

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Exactly what Rudley said.

It's not a wedge. It is a hollow ground blade.

I was graciously PIF'ed a Rolls (Thanks Greg!) and use it a couple times a month. It's definitely not as sharp as a DE or SE blade, but you can get a very good shave from it.

5. SharpSpine

What was the investment for getting the blade shave ready? I prefer my SEs to my DEs so a Rolls in on my Wish List. It's just on the lower priority as I wasn't sure I wanted to get into making the blade shave ready and making sure all the parts were present and worked as intended.

6. Rudley

Rudley New Member

There are any number of members here, and ancillary services that can be found on the web who will hone the blade. I sent 5 and the cost was $100.00

7. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I now have 6 Rolls in my collection as I love them and wanted to ensure I would have parts available to last at least me a lifetime. I love the shave from a rolls but agree it can be a little different technique. However once I locked in on it I don't find it to take any longer then a usual SE or DE shave and get just as close. I've heard a few people mention removing the "guard bar" resulted in a slightly easier shave to master but haven't tried that myself yet.

8. Rudley

Rudley New Member

NB. I mistakenly identified the honing service earlier! It is "A Sharper Razor" in AZ...

My faux pas

Rudley

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I never noticed any issues with the kickstand getting in the way.

10. SharpSpine

Kickstand....:happy097:

11. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Lol, neither have I it was just something I'd heard a few people do. Hahaha I'm not going to get that out of my mind now.

12. this thread has me wanting to clean up my grandfather's old rolls and take a few passes with it.
    just not near my kickstand