Ever had a shave or haircut in a foreign country?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GeneRector, Jul 31, 2011.

1. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

Howdy! I watched a few You Tube videos on shaving and I noticed that barbers in foreign countries do things a little different than in the United States. I heard that in Japan a shave and haircut takes about 45 minutes or more. Anyone have a foreign country experience to share? Your views appreciated! Always, Gene

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Three years in Germany, courtesy Uncle Sam.

Seriously, though, I always got my haircut on base. I'm interested to hear about others' experiences, though.

3. jkingrph

jkingrph Member

Two years in Turkey, courtesy of the USAF. We had a little one man barbershop right across the street from our hospital , about half way to my apartment building, so he was very convenient, plus I got a lot better service there than at the exchange service barbershop.

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

does Texas count?

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes!

6. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

I was born, and in grew up in Thailand so while it is not so foreign to me it might be to you. In Thailand it is very common to have your hair washed before your hair cut, and often times the person who washes your hair has been trained in head massage techniques. Depending on where you go you will sometimes have a guy who cross dresses cut your hair. Of course in Thailand it's also like in the US depending on where you go the people who run the business will do different things. Sometimes if it's a smaller business you won't get the hair washing service, you'll just sit down in a chair and they will cut your hair with no frills. So while there are some differences there are also some similarities.

7. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

2 1/2 years in Germany coutesy Uncle Sam as well. I never got a haircut on the german economy.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

All those things are reasonably common in the USA, except the cross-dressing. I'm sure you could find cross dressing hair dressers here, just nothing I've run across.

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I cut my own hair. But once while I was deployed in Africa, my clippers died on me halfway through my hair cut. I had to make a mad dash to the barber on base (which was staffed by locals). They finished my haircut with clippers, I'm pretty sure they did all haircuts with clippers. I wasn't happy with the job, I do it better, but I was stuck so couldn't complain. Then after the haircut they did a head and shoulder massage. I guess that was about the only difference there.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

One barber I used to frequent was trying to boost his clientele and offered free beer and had girly mags laying about. Other then that, the only foreign place I had my hair cut was Canuckistan. The barber in Edmonton wasn't much different then the one I visit now.

11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

When I was 12, I got a haircut in Japan, the bill was $27 around 2700 yen, 18 years ago. I was held hostage till my mother was able to come up with the money.... :happy097:

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Warning, do not go to a barber shop in Korea....

13. andyr

andyr Member

I got haircuts in France and in northern Italy. My French is good, so the stylist could understand me. In Italy, that was the Sud Tirol, where most people speak German. I was happy the stylist could understand my German.

crackstar likes this.
  14. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

Howdy! I am curious about how a shave may be different outside the USA. That is, any unusual extra steps or something not done in the USA. Always, Gene

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Yes, many times. In Israel, Greece, Morocco, and Turkey. The best haircut and shave I ever got in all my life was in Turkey.

16. SB85

SB85 New Member

I went to the barber in Guatemala once. I just get my head shaved, but I have to say this was the most thorough haircut I have ever had. He even broke out the Straight Edge to do my neck and sideburns, it was a pretty cool experience, since usually my haircuts/head shaves are about a 2 minutes experience.

17. GreyBeard

GreyBeard Member

Thailand & Korea
    Both due to Uncle Sam's deal