Dry after a pass?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Kenshomi, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Kenshomi

Kenshomi Member

I am new de shaver. Routine: I shower then go directly to AoS pre shave oil, then build a lather of anythony logistic triple ?, and apply with a AoS badger brush. Hardware MERKUR HD and Derby blades.
    My question is that once a finish a section - left cheek for example, the skin is left bones dry? Maybe it's the years of electrics, but I would think with an oil and good lather there would be some moisture left. Maybe not?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I think it may be your PSO. Dries me out too, also I have never used Anthony Logistic creams that could be a factor as well.

HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!!! make sure your skin is plenty wet before lathering.

3. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

That happens to me all the time no matter what I use for lather and my skin is in great shape.. Hey, we're scraping it off, so it only makes sense that the small amount of residue dries out, right?

Before applying more lather I wet my paw and rehydrate the face and the dry residue. That allows me to feel the beard to determine how I did and to gauge where I need to spend a little time with touch ups.

4. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

Are you talking about immediately after the first swipe? Could be your water : product ratio.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's what I was thinking. I'm never left "bone dry" right after shaving a single section.

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

For me with a good lather some creams/soaps leave a slick coating on my face that is wet smooth. While others do not leave that. It makes my skin dry but not bone dry as well as somewhat tight... which is caused by being dry. I just lather up again and next pass fixes it :). Then apply some water and aftershave and im good to go.

7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

If I've been stingy with the water when making my lather, then I do notice that my face is not as wet/slick after a pass with the razor. I like a wetter & slicker lather so this doesn't happen to me too often. When I do notice it happening I simply add a little bit of water to my lather and mix it in. When face lathering I just dip the tips of the brush in my wash basin and then go directly to my face to get more water in.

8. Kenshomi

Kenshomi Member

@Will PSO?

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Pre Shave Oil

10. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy New Member

As others have mentioned, this issue might be caused by an incorrect water:soap ratio when you're lathering up. I had the same problem and changed my technique a bit to add more water to the bowl as I whipped up the lather. That generally solved the problem.

I've seen differences between soaps, too.

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Does this condition occur everywhere you shave, or just the cheek? If you adjust your razor angle does that help?

Just now I took a credit card and dragged the edge across my cheek at near 90 degree angle there is a massive amount of oil on the edge of the card. Now, my face feels dry and after a second pass with the card I am not scraping oil anymore. Repeating the same exercise on the other cheek but using a less steep angle of attack I scraped off less oil, my skin did not feel as dry as the other side and I was able to complete a second pass and continued to pick up oil.

Try changing the angle of attack with your razor on your face, see if that changes anything...

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool 'speramint!

13. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Is this your trick for getting the wife's credit cards not to scan anymore??? Load them up with oil! :happy097:

stingraysrock likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Be sure to get plenty of water on the skin at least for a minute or two if possible before applying lather. Shaving after a shower is even better. The moisture needs to sink into the skin before shaving.
    As Will and JoAnna mentioned in earlier posts, a good pre-shave oil can help lock in the moisture if needed before applying lather.

Good fortune on your shaves.

15. Tuco

Tuco Member

Another vote for more water.

16. Kenshomi

Kenshomi Member