Deploying to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by thevez2, Aug 1, 2011.

1. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Hello TSD,

Well, it's my turn to go overseas (again) in support of this great Nation. This time to Kabul, Afghanistan. I leave in October for 6 months.

Anyone over there that can give me the run down on what to expect? I'm Air Force, if it matters.

What do you suggest I take with me (shaving or otherwise)?

How's the internet?

Thanks!​

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm prayin' for ya. God speed

What's your career field? I was an avionics maintenance tech. Worked the 135's, 130's, 141's, C-5s and KC-10s.

As for what to take - anything you wouldn't feel bad about losing.

3. thevez2

I'm in acquisitions, and Engineer by trade. But I'm filling an IA (individual augmentee) billet, so I will be doing something outside my career field.

I've already considered the fact that I don't want to take any razors that I wouldn't be too worried if they were lost/broken/stolen. Too bad because now I can't take my daily razor. My 1909 ABC Floral razor. I'll probably take 2 SE and 3-4 DE with me.

4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Thanks for your service! Good luck to you.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thank-you for your service. I don't know the conditions and what will work best for you (I'm not military myself), but my BIL who's in the army brought a shavette to Iraq and Afghanistan!

6. mandoman

mandoman Member

+1

7. jonny_j22

jonny_j22 New Member

My brother's mate was out there for the Royal Engineers and he seemed to have no problem keeping in touch through facebook!

He's really proud of his movies he made with his amry buddies using those all in one hand held camcorders so I'd suggest taking one so long as your allowed.

In turms of razor, I've never been to conflict, but I can say that you should take one that has special meaning to you - not the most precious, but one that will remind you of home when you need it - we all need our little connections back home whilst away!

All the best to you, you will be in my prayers

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Take something to use that is simple and that you will not worry about too much.
    Tech, or a Simple SuperSpeed if you have one available.
    A few good pucks of soap and a nice boar brush for durability.
    A good book and the Good Book if you are so inclined.

An may the Good Lord Bless and Keep you safe on your deployment!
    GDCarrington

9. JCinPA

JCinPA Member

Hey Vez, thanks for serving! Stay cool over there! :cool:

10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've a cousin and a brother-in-law over there and they seem to be online more than they are working, always using Facebook and Skype - so I don't think internet will be an issue. :happy102:

I agree with Gary... take durable goods. Shave pucks or if you don't want to have to worry about keeping up with a mug, take a shave stick instead (Palmolive, Arko, Tabac, Valobra, etc.). A boar brush. A simple razor such as a Senator/Sheraton if you're into open combs or a Super Speed/Fat Boy/Slim Adjustable/Black Beautiy Adjustable if you're not.

Good luck and come back home safe!

11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

A couple sticks of Arko, an Omega boar and a Tech should do you right.

Enjoy your stay, and come back safe!

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

13. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Many thanks for your service! Our country would not have seen the greatness it has without those who have taken up the cause of freedom.

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

God spede and God Bless. I will be praying for you and your teammates safe return.

15. thevez2

Thanks again everyone for the responses.

Yup, Tech and SS are on my list. I've got a pretty big selection to choose from. I plan on taking 4-5 DE with me.

Good to hear about the internet. I have heard it is touch and go sometimes. I wish I had a Senator or Sheraton to take. I love my open comb 3 pieces, but have yet to find a TTO open comb.

Arko is definitely on my list. Plus I plan on making a puck of Wil-ko (Williams & Arko). Also a couple others. I'll certainly be posting pictures of my deployed Shave Den when I get there.

You all are just great. Thanks for the comraderie.

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Air force? enjoy your R&R :rofl:

Sorry, never been to Kabul, Bagram yes.

Enjoy your stay (if you can), good luck and god speed!

17. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Good luck and stay safe.
    For shaving, you can pick up a lord tech or lord smart razor for very little money. A travel case is also helpful.
    With the heat, I think a soap puck or stick would be your best bet. Palmolive or Spiek are very good, and arko gets good reviews.
    I like the omega boar travel brush, cheap and good, the only downside is it takes awhile to break in and the handle is a bit slippery.

18. thevez2

I don't think heat is going to be an issue. I'm going in the winter months. It gets cold and snowy there.

19. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

My recommendation would be any razor that is tough. IE many 3 pieces as not any moving parts that can get gummed up or anything. Just a rinse and wash on the threads and its all good.

For a brush... I would say just any Boar. Just because you can beat it up more than a badger and not feel bad. Also if you crack a handle or anything it could be cheaper than a badger.

I would probably say get SC just because then you dont have to carry a mug or a solid container around. However if that isn't an issue I would get some tallow soaps.... I think they have a higher melting point than glycerin... I could be totally wrong though :)

Good luck and hope its not too exiting of a stint over seas.

20. JCinPA

JCinPA Member

Hey, no dissing the flyboys! :angry021:

Just kidding! :)

[​IMG]