Please reccommend a new badger brush...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dmyers, Aug 3, 2011.

1. dmyers

dmyers Member

Looking for a good badger brush for creams. Looking for a brush with an overall length of over 4". Really tired of fishing these stubby brushes out of my scuttle. Also, like a brush that has a bit of a flop to it so I can face lather on occassion. Any suggestions?

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That is tough... There are really so many out there. Nearly all silvertips are soft but i find them too soft. Which is why i picked up a Vulfix 404. It is a mix of boar and badger. It is amazing, very very nice. Great for face and bowl lathering.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Price range? Knot diameter?

This one is mine it comes in just a tad bit over 4", 26mm super badger, in reality its 30mm.

I'm actually going to do something I never thought I would and recommend a SR, if you have the funds, 3226 comes in just a bit over 5" with a 26mm silver tip.

There's more, but I need more information!

4. dmyers

dmyers Member

24mm knot would be nice. Price range up to $100. Over all length close to 4.5" would be ideal.

5. Sodapopjones

What about this one 24mm super badger, overall length is 4.4".

[​IMG]

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You could take a look at the Truefitt & Hill rebranded Rooney brushes. The 3/2 is a 24mm Super Silvertip knot with a nice comfortable handle.

With one of the forum discount codes, it comes out right at $101 shipped.

[​IMG]

http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_00289__19.html

7. Sodapopjones

[​IMG]

Mmmm faux horn, don't forget they come with a free shaving cream sampler too! :cool:

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I always forget about the faux horn. It's a nice looking brush.

The shaving cream sampler is nice too.

9. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I love that faux horn - fantastic looking.

10. herzi

herzi Active Member

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Find a vintage handle, slap a TGN knot in it, say 22 or 24mm finest overstuffed.

Spend your savings on a box full of soaps and creams.

m0j0j0eman likes this.
  12. Will

Will Nevermind

I will say it 3 times.

Kent, Kent, Kent :)

13. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Unboxing - Frank Shaving Fine Badger

I'll have to measure my brush when I get home to determine the overall length. I know that knot is 52mm which converts to a little over 2" just for the hair. I'd think that the handle is close to 2" or a bit more as well which should put this brush into the window that you're considering. If you like a bit of flop to your brush then I'd suggest going up to the Silvertip. This Finest has some nice backbone to it while being quite soft.

14. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU New Member

Yes, it's more expensive, but the Rooney Emillion in two band badger should be great.

15. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Take a look at whippeddog.com. He has a pottery guy that is custom making handles for him. I recently got a 24 mm silvertip for a great price.

16. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

contact Rudy Vey he'll make your buch pretty much any shape you desire.

17. dmyers

dmyers Member

I ended up with the Vulfix 2235 in Super Badger. Should arrive this next week along with a tub of Trumpers Cocunut Shave Cream. Thank you all for your recommendations. The overall height and price point played a part in my choice. This brush will be used in my travels so I didn't want to go over board. It would have been different if it never left my bathroom counter top, but...

SharpSpine likes this.
  18. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Congrats! Please share with us all how it works for you after you have it and had a chance to put it through its paces! Enjoy your shaving experience with it.

19. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

ya that :) haha

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice. But remember, ya ain't gots it lessen ya gots pictures ta prove it!
    Hope is serves you well with many great shaves.