Interesting new shave lube

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by gorgo2, Aug 4, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I guess that's what to call it, but it sure worked. I'd bought several sticks of this stuff on clearance a couple years ago:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/organic-deodorant-tea-tree-blue-cypress-1-7-oz/p/775639B6F167463D35E1?q=organic tea tree deodorant &lpq=organic tea tree deodorant &FORM=HURE

It never worked very well as a deodorant - just didn't last long and got runny when you got warm (see the reviews of it at the link).

Finding it useless as a d/o but not wanting to toss it all out, I used it to mow off the partial beard I've had this summer. I just wet the stick, rubbed it all over the beard, let it sit a few minutes, then got out the Gem 1912 with a new blade.

Result: a very slick, smooth shave and not one nick anywhere. If it worked this well with the Gem, a Gillette or cart shave should be flawless.

And afterwards, very soft skin. I imagine it might even serve well as an after shave balm on a stick.

Not suggesting you go out and buy up this stuff as a shave stick, but in a pinch when you're out of cream or soap, Speed Stick or something similar should work fine.

2. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

Link is broken "404 - file not found"

3. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

worked for me

"

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Quite the pioneering and intrepid exploratory shaver you are!

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I think I would pass on shaving before using a pit stick to shave with.

But that's me.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hey, I didn't say it had been used on pits when I shaved with it this morning. Didn't say it hadn't been, either... ;)

One of my fav sayings, taught me by the Marines: "If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid." Words to live by.

Or Spock, if you prefer: "There are always alternatives."

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Wise words, indeed.
    I also like, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
    Guess I'm just not that adventurous.
    I'll also stick by, "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."

By the way, I hope you are not taking offense. None is meant. Just something I wouldn't have thought to try, or even try now, now that it's been brought up.

8. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I can't even fathom how you looked at deodorant and thought of rubbing it on your face to shave with. Not for me, but if it works for you, then Bravo!

So what else have you tried to shave with? Hair gel, peanut butter, Murphy's oil soap?

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The ingredient list looked appealing; I suspected it'd be ultraslick if deliberately made wet, and it was...one of the slickest shaves ever.

And coincidentally, Bravo (by Avon) was today's a/s.

I have heard of using peanut butter but since all I buy is chunky, that's probably not happening. But off the top of my head, I've tried Corn Husker's, Brylcreem, Groom&Clean, Noxema, Sarna, Glysomed, Vick's, Crisco, various conditioners my wife has laying about, coconut oil, mineral oil, vitamin E oil, glycerine, metholated shampoo, Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, '70s Avon Wild Country soap, '60s Hai Karate can o'goo, '50s Yardley soap, '30s Ladd's shaving cream and the plain old industrial grade dispenser soap they put in high school bathrooms (probably the worst of the lot).

If we lose our desire for risk in experimentation we're no better than the marmosets, I say.

No offense taken, Swarden. This is still America (for now), we all have our opinions.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I prefer "eccentric" but I thank you for the compliment!

11. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I like your gusto, gorgo. Keep pushing the envelope!