Mixing and Making your own Preshave Oil

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Regan, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I am looking to make my own preshave oil. I have some time before I go about mixing it as I need to empty a aftershave bottle before I can fill up with the preshave oil. I have been looking at different oils as well as ratios. But I am trying to decide upon the scent that I want. I have narrowed it down to three EOs that I want to use as they are cheap (bonus) :) but still good scent and "health benefits".

I am looking into getting Eucalyptus Oil, Camphor oil and Lavender. However I want to only get 2 of those three and I do not know which two I should get. I was leaning towards Eucalyptus and Lavender. I do not know if anybody has mixed any of these scents if so what ratio would you suggest. I know it is very personal but having a base is always good to start with.

Anybody's opinions, thoughts and previous experiences would be appreciated. I like the scents of all of these very much.

Thanks, I will post my experience once I empty my AV pure sport aftershave.

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Ok well last night I ordereed Lavender Oil cut with Tea Tree oil. Then Eucalyptus oil. Will try these oils out when I get them as well as empty a contain of AV.

3. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I make my own pre shave oil and it's quite simple, i mix some Jojoba with some avocado oil.
    2/3 jojoba with 1/3 avocado..
    It works very well and leaves the face very smooth and moisturized after the shave.

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info... I am going to try a mix of a lighter oil (grape seed) and a heavier oil (olive). I have heard some great things about grape seed oil.

I will fiddle around with the proportions I think I might do your proportions. Then try half and half and see which works better before I add the EOs and such.

5. mao

mao New Member

The main problem here is that you have to "mix" it every time before you start shaving - thats because "weight" of the oil is different .
    How can you solve this problem?

6. aircoder

aircoder Member

2.5 parts castor oil to 1 part olive oil, then add a drop or two of you favorite essential oil.
    Works best for me

7. mao

mao New Member

R u talking to me ?
    just tring to understand whats the connection

8. aircoder

aircoder Member

Was giving regan my recipe

mao likes this.
  9. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Well my plan is to fill my container 75% full so before I apply I can just give it a nice shake. I will also try to blend in the oil well before I pour into the container to get the essential oil to combine.

I am also not sure how much of separation would occur. Will it be... No separation, just a shake to combine, like water and oil mixture? There are others who have made it but I have yet to hear anything about bad separation. This is why I think the mixing/shaking before each use will work well.

Thanks for the recipes. Aircoder do you find any separation? Nice Avatar. Nice looking razor right there :).

10. aircoder

aircoder Member

I don’t find much separation, though I do give her a little shake before I apply to my face. The recipe is the base recipe for the AOS pre-shave oil and works equally as well. I have been dabbling with the idea of adding a touch of glycerin into the mix as well but have not tried it as of yet.
    Thanks those scales are sure perity....

11. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. That was my plan I didn't expect them to seperate totaly and if they did a quick shake should get them back in the mix. I am giong to wait a week or so before I mix mine up. The plan for me right now is...

3/4 Grapeseed
    1/4 Olive oil
    Mix and warm
    then 3 drops of lavender EO
    3 drops of Eucalyptus EO

Then I am giong to pour that into one larger container and a smaller one for some experimenting. I will try adding glycerin, menthol and more Olive Oil to the mix in the smaller container. Probably go with the ratio of oils first then fiddle ardoun with menthol/glycerin after I get a good ratio for me.

That recipe sound acceptable?

12. aircoder

aircoder Member

The drops of EO's seem like allot unless you are going to make a large batch. 1 to 2 drops of any one is more then enough for a small bottle. I'd start with a drop of each and then add more if you feel it needs it. Im not sure about the grape seed oil let me know how that works out! I know the Castor oil in the preshave i use makes it very slick. If you start with those rations you can always move from one bottle to two bottles and adjust the amounts to see if it's better. Experiment with with rations by breaking down the initial batch into smaller bottles and have fun with it. Let us know the results :)

13. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

The bottle is about 250-200 ml. I was going to start with less oil then add more. The lavender is cut with Tea Tree so will have to figure out the scent before. I might mix the EOs and get a good scent mix before I add to the other oils. That way I can get the scent I want, then make it as strong as I would like it to be.

I don't have smaller bottles... yet they are all full of aftershaves :). With that idea it might be a while before I test out me some different ratios. I will probably mix up that standard mix and then go about fiddling when I empty some of the smaller aftershave bottles :)

Thank you guys.

14. mikec727

mikec727 New Member

you could mix them up in some small canning jars ( the jelly size). They should be just the right size and you can get a case of 12 for about 7 or 8 bucks here in the states.