FEATHER POPULAR DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Johnny, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Anyone have experience with this inexpensive Feather DE razor? Some of the reviews I've read are not bad, especially for a razor that can be had for $18.00. I have one that I use now for travel, but it was my main DE for a longtime before I got my Merkur and EJ's. I personally think for the money it can't be beat, plus it gives great shaves.

feather-popular double-edge.jpg

2. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I had one,
    it's not a bad razor but for what it is, mostly plastic i think it's a bit expensive.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

The Feather Popular was my first DE razor. I shaved with it for around two years before moving on. It's a bit overpriced for what you get, which is:

1. a very very mild shaver, even with a Feather blade.
    2. 90 percent plastic construction, so it's very lightweight.

I'd suggest a Lord Tech clone for a person looking for a good introductory DE razor, or if vintage is okay, then a Gillette Tech. Both of these options can be found for cheaper than the Feather Popular and both are far better quality wise.

4. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

I just got one last week. So far I've enjoyed it a LOT.

Yes, it's mild, if you mean it gives you a comfortable shave and is not going to turn around and bite you, give you irritation and such every time you make a mistake, however it can give a very CLOSE shave.

Even though the razor is made out of 90% plastic, the plastic is VERY well formed and it is not a flimsy plastic. Some of the Chinese metal razors are far more likely to bend/flex/fail on you than the plastic pieces of the Feather. (better construction quality/fit than my Merkurs that I own/have owned.)

My Futur hasn't seen daylight since I've taken possession of the Feather Popular razor... I'd say comfort-wise, its as forgiving as a Futur on 1.5, but gives a closeness closer to the Futur set on 5. (This is with Personna Med Prep blades... I haven't tried the Feather blades - not afraid, I've used Feathers before and don't like the short life-span they give me in everything else I've used. The only razor I've had any luck with Feather blades giving more than 2 shaves in is my OC Gillette Old Style.

It is as forgiving as a Gillette Tech, but gives me a much closer shave.

Yes, the razor is very light weight, which makes you want to apply a bit of pressure to it, but it's gentle enough that it's OK if you do happen to apply a little pressure, it's not going to skin you if you do.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to a newbie as a first razor while learning technique, and if you later want to go with a more aggressive razor, this would make an excellent travel razor.

Johnny likes this.
  5. Here's the one major reason that I do not shave with my Feather Popular anymore: The plastic lather bars bend (frown) when tightening the doors (and I only tighten it until the knob stops). It shows a very un-even blade gap down the length of its lather bar. I didn't really notice this during the first couple of shaves (I just thought it was just the way this razor shaves), until I took a close look at it when the blade was installed.

6. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Didn't happen to run it under or soak it in to hot of water, did ya? I've probably done 25-30 shaves with mine and it works as good as it did when new. I just rinse it in warm water and when I change the blade I give it a gentle scrubbing with some soap and an old toothbrush to remove any old soap film.

Nice website. Next time I'm coming through Ames on my way to Texas, I'll stop by for a buzz.

7. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

Iowa? There is some else from Iowa? Lol... Thought I was alone here.

8. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Yes sir, he's from Ames, IA. Here is a link to his shop in Ames.

THE GROOM ROOM

9. Hey, that sounds great! As far as I know, we are the ONLY brick and mortar store retailing wet shaving supplies in Iowa. Our inventory keeps expanding and expanding. We are currently in the beginning stages of having our own safety razor model manufactured. Research and development is such a time consuming process.

Please, stop in the next time you're going through Ames... it would be great to chat a bit. Oh, and no, I haven't rinsed my Popular in too hot of water. The lather bar only frowns when I tighten up the blade. As soon as I back off the tension a wee bit, it goes back to being straight again, but then the tension is way too loose and the blade moves a bit.

10. It 'a really good razor, and' the second was that I had, after Wilkinson classic. It is usually recommended for those who do not have good hand with the first DE shave, I occasionally use it 'cause you shave is very good. And 'light, mostly' plastic, but 'I believe it is among the most' manageable on the market, and does not cost much, about 17-18 euros here on the Italian market ...