Where does he get his razors ?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Grant, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant Active Member

Who is

cedarfurnitureman on ebay ?

And where does he get all of his stock ?

living in england I'm finding harder to collect with out using ebay . :(

2. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Great question and I have looked at his/her site and the pictures with accurate descriptions are very well done. Maybe he had grandfathers that were Barbers?

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Being made in a time when things were made to last forever, it is not like vintage razors are uncommon. They are readily found in thrift shops, flea markets, estate sales and antique stores. All cedarfurnitureman needs to do is scout around a little and he has his razors to sell.

4. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Well, Tonto, looks like I need to find a new Scout even if it costs all of my silver bullets. : )

Grant likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I wouldn't use the phrase, "readily found" up here in the north east. My wife and I frequent many places that carry vintage/antique items and shaving stuff has become scarce as hen's teeth.

6. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I have been messaging this seller on eBay after I saw this thread started. So far the exchanges have been very informative and helpful. Here is a quote from an email where they answer the OP's question:

"To answer your question regarding where we find so many nice sets~We serve over 2 dozen consignment customers from all over the world. Sounds funny saying that, but most of our CCs are here in America but we do have several from other countries. And also from time to time, our repeat customers either lose interest in wet shaving or graduate from DE shaving to Straight shaving & in those cases, these customers will send us their Razors to liquidate & try & compensate some of their money spent. Plus my husband inherited a large collection from his grandfather~Though it's been a long time since we have sold any of those~That's actually how we got started & since, it's just become a passion for both of us. God has truly blessed us with some wonderful consignment customers~Many of those, are collectors themselves~Others are just more or less catch & release collectors & pickers~who shop 24/7 looking for goodies!"

Hope that helps!

7. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks Dick Tracy and it appears that there is an entire tribe of scouts. Someone is also a very talented photographer along with the impressive dialogue about the razors. I am always outbid and have given up. Still it is interesting to visit and "window shop".

8. SharpSpine

From talking with them it's a husband & wife team. The husband does the honing & cleaning while the wife takes the pictures & creates the listings.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

And are they members here -- or at Badger & Blade? Do you think they might participate a bit?

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. SharpSpine

I have no idea. I did read one of their listing write-ups and they mentioned that they hear how desirable a certain razor is from "the guys on the shaving forums". Not sure which forum they were referring to, but it does sound like they may lurk on a forum or two. I'll have to ask if they participate in the forums.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have a sinking suspicion that they view all of the major shaving sites, whether they are members is anyone's guess. Given B&B's policy on vendors, if they have a user name, they would keep that quiet or pay the vendor fee.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Seems like I recall cedarfurnitureman got in some trouble over at B&B back when they sold "homemade shaving soap" in addition to razors... seems like it was found out it was just pre-order melt & pour soap or something like that and as a result, were banned as a vendor. Or was it here at TSD? I wasn't around during that time, just trying to recall the bits and pieces I've read around the 'nets.

Aside from that, their listings are sometimes misleading and for a seller than deals a lot in razors, they have been known to not know what they were selling. And being nice, trying to tell them "no, that's not an X razor but a Y razor" gets your head bitten off by them. For transparency, I've been informed by them that they will never allow me to buy anything from them because they think I am a "re-seller". As if anyone could possibly be a re-seller at the prices their razors sell for?? There's no profit in that at all. Additionally, I caught them in a lie about their location and we had some nasty words over that as well. Their listings used to say the item location was Laurel, Mississippi. Then they stopped putting that in their listings and told me they were actually in Tennessee. Now their listings show MS (Mississippi) again. Not that it matters where they are located, I was just proud that one of the largest and well known razor sellers was located right here in my home-state. But even if I weren't banned from buying anything from them, I still wouldn't buy. I don't like dealing with liars. ;)

Grant and GDCarrington like this.
  13. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

He is RazorTalkin on SRP. Not sure where he gets his stuff - it's all vintage, so it isn't as if he is having the items made for him. And unless he is the Noah of straight razors, I doubt they are coming to him on their own :)

14. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Its amazing what you can do with a jewelers polishing wheel and a certain forum member base.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

By calling you a "re-seller" they are really calling you competition which they don't like.
    I have read very mixed reviews from others on the product received from CFM. The individuals that were involved had reasonable discussions about there dealing with CFM.
    Because of this and your information, I have and I will not enter bidding on their items.
    I guess CFM needs a geography lesson again. Tennessee is not the same as Mississippi, and that does not change on a day to day or even decade to decade basis.
    Thanks for the additional confirmation.

16. Hex

Hex Member

I seem to remember something negative about them on B&B, but I can't find it, not do I remember the details.
    Consider or not, at your discretion.

17. Grant

Grant Active Member

Its ok for people in the usa here in england people just chuck out the old razors if it was grand pa's razor :(

18. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

The worst experiences I have had with eBay sellers were with those who needed social skills lessons and those who needed math lessons. But how do poor geometry skills affect a sale?

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This is Jody's quote: "Additionally, I caught them in a lie about their location and we had some nasty words over that as well. Their listings used to say the item location was Laurel, Mississippi. Then they stopped putting that in their listings and told me they were actually in Tennessee. Now their listings show MS (Mississippi) again."
    Like Jody I have concerns when someone represents themselves in a deceptive fashion. If they cannot be correct in this easy area, then how can you trust them with a sale.

IAmTheJody and Sodapopjones like this.
  20. ThomasD

ThomasD New Member

He has amazing razors!! He is raking in some good money as well!!