ER trip with my son

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Kyhunter, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I spent 6 hours yesterday in the local ER yesterday afternoon because my son swallowed a screw. I have now idea where it came from but it was a decent sized one. It was most likely a wood screw at least a 1/2 inch long or possibly 3/4 in long. Talk about a nervous wreck. The Dr was confident that it would pass on its own accord so you can guess what that means. I have to search for it. If It doesnt come out on its own, We are going to have to go 4 hours away from home to the childrens hospital that accepts our insurance to have it extracted.

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Ugh, that would be nerve wracking.

I hope he isn't in any discomfort and it passes easily. A metal detector would probably help in your search, if you don't already have one, possibly ask some friends.

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

wow... That is not fun.

How old is he? I hope he passes it as easily and as pain free as that can be... Good luck on finding the screw. We have had to go to the doctors every camping trip since I can remember whether its steping on a hyperdermic needle to getting stitches from stepping on a can lid ect. I hope he gets well soon

The ER isn't anything for me anymore or my gf. She has had... 8 surgeries on her head so now going to the hospital isn't that bad.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

I wish your son a speedy and pain free recovery in passing. Good luck in your search for the missing screw.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Add my prayers and well wishes to your son.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oh goodness! :eek: I would be a wreck if I were in your shoes!

I hope everything goes quickly and uneventfully for your son and you and your wife.

7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Oh no, that is definitely no good. I too am curious how old your son is. My boy is about to be 2 and I could easily see him doing this. Unfortunately no matter how much you do to protect your kids crazy things can still happen. Praying here for the best possible outcome for y'all.

8. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

Save it for him when he gets married... you can give it to his wife. Tell her he had parts left over from when he was younger.

sol92258, IAmTheJody and SharpSpine like this.
  9. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

:happy097: :rofl:

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Wishing you all the best and a speedy and painless recovery for your son...Thats a great idea of Techjunkie's about saving the screw for him later...Please let us know how he is doing...Thats a great idea about the metal detector...could make things alot simpler...

11. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

OH man - that is not fun. Praying here for you, your son and your wife!

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

More prayers coming, this time from me. Try to keep yourself and the boy calm. Let us know what happens.

13. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

This too, shall pass

best of luck

sol92258 likes this.
  14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ack! I hope everything comes out okay (no pun intended.) It was hard enough dealing with Trix the cat slicing up his foot, this here with the boy is unimaginable for me!

sol92258 likes this.
  15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I provided a prayer that your son will pass this so that you will not have to go through another round with a hospital.

16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Hoping and wishing for the best for the whole family.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I hope all runs its course. My son swallowed a fridge magnet when he was 4 or 5 because it was for pizza. He ate it because he thought it would taste like pizza. Not nearly as pokey as a screw.....hope all goes well.

I know cats ain't kids, but one of our cats swallowed a needle. It had some thread on it and stuck in the pin cushion so he got to eating the thread and swallowed the needle to. It came out on its own without any problem. Like a greasy string out of a cat's.......well the point is is that something as pokey as a needle made it through without any problem from something as active as a housecat. Hopefully, it will all come out ok.

18. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Well no results yet, X rays in the AM to determine the position of the screw. Thanks for the concerns and prayers guys.

19. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That is awful. I'd be a wreck if my son did that. I hope everything turns out alright..........hang in there.

20. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Xray is hardware free.