Cocktails !!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rick, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

you will love it rick....

it sounds like a hap-hazard "everything but the kitchen sink" type drink, but trust me, it works.. The horseradish gives it the interesting trait of a clean finish, almost in the "mint" type registry of taste, though not minty, if you catch my drift.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

more for summer....

White Sangria:

2 cups (16oz) White Wine
    1 (12oz) can Peach Nectar
    1 (12oz) can of Brandy

Mix ingredients together in a big ol' pitcher and add
    slices of lemon, lime and orange and let sit awhile.....if you can ;)

mix with 7-up or Sprite to taste.
    Start with a 50/50 (1:1) blend and go from there.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Here's one of my local summer favorites.

Caiparinha De Ipanima
    Naples Grande Resort & Golf Club
    Naples, Fla.

1 1/2 ounces Cachaça de Brazil(Pronounced "KA SHA SA")
    2 fresh lime wheels
    2 sugar cubes
    Ice cubes

This cocktail is inspired by the flavors of South America. To serve, muddle lime and sugar together, then add the Cachaça and ice. Shake and strain in a glass rimmed with lime sugar. Garnish with lime and twist.
    The major difference between cachaça and rum is that rum is usually made from molasses, a by-product from refineries that boil the cane juice to extract as much sugar crystals as possible. And cachaça is made from fresh sugarcane juice that's fermented and distilled.

4. rick

Martini anyone ??

Vesper

altho.....
    Booze has changed some since Ian Fleming created this cocktail.
    "Here's the problem: Much has changed since 1953, when the book came out, and that includes booze.
    That English Gordon's gin used to be 94 proof; now it's under 80.
    The vodka would've been stronger as well: Russian Stolichnaya, which Bond had in mind, was 100 proof.
    As for the Lillet, it was reformulated in the 1980s to remove most of the "Kina" part, the shade of bitterness provided by quinine.
    But all is not lost: Tanqueray (Gordon's stablemate) is still 94 proof.
    If you can find it, there's a 100-proof Stoli available.
    The Lillet's a little tougher, but we secured some quinine powder from raintreenutrition.com and threw in a pinch.
    Suddenly, the electric guitars started twanging." ....thanks to MSN for this info

The Kina Lillet is not made any more but
    Noilly Prat and a splash of Angostura Bitters is said to work as a nice replacement.

3 parts Gin
    1 part Vodka
    .5 parts Vermouth

5. rick

one of my Summer faves.

Mojito

.....dee-licious ::

6. rick

Root Beer

Have not tried this one yet but a co-worker says it is dee-licious :D

1 ICE COLD Coors Beer (hasta be Coors. Not Coors Light. Not any other beer)
    2 shots Root Beer Schnapps

Said co-worker puts cold beer into freezer for 20 min. before making cocktail to ensure icyness.
    Ill update this later after I see how they tasted.

Update: Dec 2, 2007
    Dont do it.
    These are lousy.
    I am embarrassed to have entered this abomination in the thread.

7. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

Rick, I knew I would meet you back on this thread.

Anyways, I would like to comment on your schnapps/ beer cocktails post.

Just about any schnapps (German types of full strength or 80 proof w/ no sugar added AND the American types, typically half the alcohol, introduced into syrups) will work in very interesting ways with beer. Most of my better experiences are with American style schnapps (I find the German schnapps to be a bit too strong, kind of ruining the delicate balance of alcohol level in the beer) and one of my favorites, butterscotch schnapps. I call it, the sweet tooth of the beer world. Every once in a while, you just get a hankering for a different taste, especially if you have a nice session going with a good 12 pack of beer. Drop a shot of peppermint in, and see what happens. Or just take a hit of Butterscotch schnapps and chase it with a swig of beer. It can be a match made in heaven. And I prefer the "hoppyest" beers I can find, too.. Very yin/yang.... For the malty beer guys (think big German bocks, etc) I would go for the more crisp type schnapps to balance in the other direction. I think there must be some gents and gals on this board who can elaborate more to this great thread that you "sponsor"

Cheers!

Did you try that Bloody Mary yet?

8. rick

Wok:

Have not tried your "Bloody" recipe .....yet ;)
    Im still collecting ingredients.
    With the cooler months approaching I am hoping to have everything online and ready to go by Oct.
    Will report back when sampling has been conducted :D

9. rick

Old Cuban

• 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
    • 1 ounce simple syrup
    • 1 1/2 ounce rum (Bacardi 8 Anejo)
    • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
    • 6 mint leaves
    • 2 ounces champagne (Veuve Clicquot)

Muddle lime juice, syrup, mint in a mixing glass. Add rum, bitters, ice, and shake well. Strain into cocktail glass, and top with champagne. Garnish with sugar-coated vanilla bean.

Order an Old Cuban and you are in the presence of a contemporary classic. This is a perfectly balanced drink and the best thing about it is that it is served up in a classic champagne goblet; very ‘40s and very chic. Veuve Clicquot is delicious champagne and the only one mentioned by name in “Casablanca.” When you order this drink you get the sensation of mint, but you can taste each of the ingredients distinctly.

Obviously these ingredients will seem familiar, and we have written that the Mojito is currently one of the most overrated cocktails around. This drink is a big part of why. Why would you want club soda instead of champagne? Why would you want shaved ice instead of undiluted flavor? Leave the Mojito to Sonny Crockett and order this instead.

If you visit the home of this cocktail, Audrey Saunders’ Pegu Club, then you’ll have the opportunity to adjust the mix to your taste if your drink needs tweaking. On each of the tables you’ll find four eye droppers containing cocktail condiments (lemon, lime, bitters and sugar syrup). The Pegu Club is a nod to history, but it is owner Saunders’ flair for mixology that makes the bar a New York original in the true sense and not the Original Ray’s Pizza sense.

..borrowed from MSN

10. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

you kicked this thread up a notch again, rick...

that old cuban looks great. I will be trying that one, for sure. I love champagne cocktails. talk about a heavenly mixer. beats the tar out of nearly any soft mixer, and kicks it up a notch for some "yule tide fun".

I just love bitters. I always have that bottle in the kitchen... For a soft drink, nothing is more refreshing than few shakes of bitters in a glass of ice cold club soda. Great for upset stomach, too.

11. rick

Sidecar

Had one of these the other night and thought I'd share it.
    Thanks to drinkoftheweek for the recipe and commentary

[​IMG]
    First served up at Harry's New York Bar in Paris this classic is one of our favorite cocktails.

1 1/2oz. Brandy or Congac
    1 oz. Cointreau or Triple Sec
    1 oz. Lime or Lemon Juice
    (your preference, we like to use lime juice)
    Lemon Wedge or Twist
    Granulated Sugar

Wet rim of a Cocktail glass and dip in the sugar.
    Combine first three ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker.
    Strain into the cocktail glass.
    Garnish with Lemon.
    [​IMG]

***Sidenote on the Sidecar
    I hate Triple Sec so I substituted Orange Curacao.
    Hey.
    Thats how I roll. ;)

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

As in drunk on the floor? Ya lush. :D

13. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

My Ultimate Martini

3 oz New Amsterdam Gin
    1 oz vodka
    3/4 oz Martini & Rossi Bianco
    5 drops lemon juice

Shake the everlovin' crap out of this, then strain into a freezer-chilled cocktail glass

So far, the New Amsterdam Gin is the smoothest gin I've found
    This drink itself is very smooth. 3 of them will cure you of all memories.
    The M&R Bianco was something I got out of the discount cart at the grocery liquor store. I believe it is an aperitif of sorts; somewhat sweet

This is a rip off of the Vesper; Bianco costs about 25% of what Lillet does.

14. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I guess I'm easy. After a long night of drinking (or a long day of working), crown royal on the rocks.

15. rick

16. ravenmadd2

ravenmadd2 New Member

Gin Gimlet
    gin and lime juice on the rocks

it has become my go to drink over the last year or so. TT Reynold's in Fairfax Va has made the best one (besides myself).

17. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I prefer a good ol' crown royal in a highball glass with 2 ice cubes and some ginger ale. After a few, you just keep increasing the crown and decreasing the ginger ale untill your just drinking out of the bottle :D

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Typically I drink bourbon or beer. Beam with diet coke if I want a mixer, or beam black, gentleman jack, or jack single barrel over ice

However

A friend ordered me a drink at a bar. 2.5 oz absolut citrus, 1.5 oz sweet n sour mix over ice, sugar around the rim. Called it a lemon drop.
    Like candy.

20. KenS

KenS New Member

This is a variation of something I was introduced to years ago. I have no idea whet it would be called, other than refreshing, and uplifting...:D
    Mix:
    1 bottle rye whiskey.
    1 1/2 cups simple syrup.
    Store in refrigerator.
    Pour 3 of so ounces of mix over a few ice cubes, and top off glass with lemonade. MM, Tasty!