Klar Kabinett shaving soap - buries your face in lather!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by crackstar, Aug 28, 2011.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Germany produces some of the best shaving soaps in the world, and this is 1 of them.

Ease of lathering: 10/10--One of the easiest soaps to get great lather from. Like Tabac!

Longevity of lather: 10/10--Just like Tabac or Irisch Moos, this stuff stays solid and stable.

General skincare: 7/10--Not a very moisturizing soap, but not a drying one either.

Scent: 8/10--Very rosy and strong. I actually like it. In fact, it's the only rosy scent I like.

Price: 6/10--Not cheap, but hey - you can't have everything!

Would I buy again: 10/10--Yes, for sure. The relatively high price wouldn't stop me.

Klar Kabinett soap is very classy, with a nice rosy/barbershoppy scent, and the lather is hard to beat. I think it can compete with Tabac or Irisch Moos in the lather and stability departments, and it's very popular in Germany. I strongly recommend it. ;) rasies.jpg

BabyGirl likes this.
  2. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Jeff just bought us a huge bar of this soap. I have used it once and while I do get a light rose scent, it mostly smells like clean linen to me. Definitely a soap worth having in your den. :)

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I like Kabinett. I think the scent is definitely strongly a rose one in fact before I let it mature on a shelf the fragrance oils irritated my skin. In terms of expense you get a large rectangular bar of soap that price per ounce wise means its very cheap. I was attracted to it because of its old time packaging and rectangle shape which is also a throw back to how shaving soap was sold once upon on a time. Kabinett is what I wanted today's Williams to be , a simple, uncomplicated, inexpensive, good lathering shaving soap.

4. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

Although I found it easy to produce a nice thick lather with KK, I found the slickness to be terribly lacking. The lather felt almost sticky to me. I tried adding a bit more lather a little at a time and it began to improve the slickness a *little* right up until the lather began to loose it's cushion/protection. Even at that point, it was not nearly as slick as most soaps.
    I just don't see any reason to waste my time on this soap as there are so many other soaps that are far better on the market.

Scent, of course, is a very personal thing, but I found the scent to be WAY too strong, and it doesn't go away after rinsing your face. I happen to LOVE rose scents, and I even own a bottle of Le Labo Rose-31 EDP, but this rose, I do not like. If you don't like a strong (slightly off) rose scent, and don't want to carry that scent along with you for an hour or two, I'd recommend avoiding this one.

5. sas71

sas71 Member

oh great something else to spend money on...but thats why we come here right :biggrin:

6. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Used it almost exclusively throughout the summer. Definitely not moisturizing, but during the humid summers around here, that's a plus. But more to the point, it works incredibly with my beard, and unless I'm extremely sloppy, I get incredible shaves with no blood or irritation. Now that cold weather is coming, I might store it away, but at least I have my old pals Cella and MWF to see me through.

7. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Love Klar Kabinett! Smells like Bubble gum to me but I do get the Rose scent too. Lathers easily nice and creamy. I wonder if the other scents preform the same?

8. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Anyone interested in a group buy on this product. I don't need 500g of soap laying around, I just need about 3.5 oz.

9. Moe

Moe Active Member

I just had the opportunity to pick some of this up and have used it the last four days. I'll steal Jeff's (Thank you for making it easy Jeff :) ) format and insert my comments.

Ease of lathering: 9/10-- Lather didn't explode of the brush, but it very easily made a very thick creamy lather

Longevity of lather: 10/10--"this stuff stays solid and stable." agree with Jeff

General skincare: 5/10--"Not a very moisturizing soap, but not a drying one either." 5 sounds like a low score, but to me if it is neither drying or moisturizing, it is in the middle.

Scent: 8/10--"Very rosy and strong" Agree, I like it also, I was not sure I would because the SRD Bulgarian Rose was too strong for me.

Price: 0/0--I bought mine from another wet shaver, so my price was not bad.

Would I buy again: 7/10--Maybe, only beacuse i'm not sure i'll ever need to buy more soaps and creams with the stock that I have.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I agree with most of your impressions. I also found that it doesn't explode in lather, but I do get a nice rich creamy lather with good staying power. I think I get a little more skin care from using this soap, but maybe it just seems that way due to the other soaps I use. I think it has a fairly strong scent, but it mellows in the same way the Arko Shave Stick does. If you like the soap, the price isn't bad at all. It works out to about $4 a puck of soap. I don't know about buying it again as I have enough for a few years worth of shaving. Right now I would say absolutely I would buy it again. In a few years when I am done with the soap, I cannot predict.

Overall, I think it is a very nice soap with a pleasant scent. I am not a rose fan, but I do like the KK.

11. geneaut

geneaut Member

I love Klar. Great scent, easy to build lather, and it comes with enough soap to last for years of use.