No longer SE Virgin !

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Grant, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant Active Member

For the first time tonight I used SE ,, Valet made in England Auto strop razor ..

I couldn't believe how much a small movement changed the shave . I don't normally feel this with my DE's Gillette's ECT. Does anyone else Concur ?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Can't say that I've used the Valet, but SEs are fun to shave with. Give great shaves, too.

Glad to hear your first time with an SE went well for you :happy088:

3. Nicktheswede

Nicktheswede Member

I find the SE shave to be a lot easier than a DE shave. It requires less attention and concentration.

4. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great beginning.

5. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I love all of my SE razors, that includes the various VASs! Yeah, it sounds like you're on your way.

I love the aggressiveness, the sound, the "dinosaur" head (that's my name for the Rube Goldberg thing).

Tip: if you'd like to adjust the aggressiveness, push up slightly on the blade lock lever. Watch what it does with the blade in the blade clips on the comb and don't push it up too much. Those clips need to engage the blade.

By a small change in movement do you mean angle?

The angle is entirely different from DE. Lay the razor head on your cheek so that the blade and head both touch, then drop the handle a tiny bit so that the head no longer touches. That's approximately the correct angle. It'll talk to you as it cuts if it's right.

It's a fantastic shave once it's right and if you're up to it.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Good for you! I have tried several SE's and have decided that the 1912 is the best for me. If you find a good fit for you, all the more power to you!

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I don't think I notice it any more with a VAS compared to other SE's. I will tell you one thing, the more I use VAS's the more I come to really, really like them.

8. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

The Auto-Strops are not my absolute favorite SE razors, but they are very good. I prefer the style that will take de-spined standard SE blades. Did you use one of those, or the type that uses cutout blades?

Not sure that I follow your meaning. Do you mean a small adjustment in blade angle? It does help to get it just right.

9. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

My SEs are by far my favorite shavers. Part of it is the style, to me they look so much classier than any DE. The other aspect is that the SE blade cuts my whiskers better. If I could only have 5 razors they would all be SEs!

10. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

VIVA LA SINGLE EDGE!!!!

11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice one, great result for first time,:)

12. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

congratulations! I just used my 1912 yesterday and had a great shave. I remember thinking, when I first started, that the SEs were not for me and that I wouldn't be using those. HA! I have two of them now and not only are they both in my rotation, but I really look forward to using them when their number is called.

SharpSpine likes this.
  13. SharpSpine

Aw, come on. Just use them all the time! :yoda2 SEs are the lightsaber of razors!

14. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

The Valet's are great! If you're using modified GEM blades then they don't feel too harsh if at a wrong angle because the blade is thin. But if your using a Feather SE blade, then you don't want to risk making mistakes, and you can feel there is no forgiveness with those due to the thickness of the blade. The Featers are all I use in mine, and I tend to use my Valet about 50% of the time now. What blade are you using in yours?

15. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Grant, congrats on the new SE experience! Might have to try one of those auto-strop razors one day.

My SE experience is rather limited, but I enjoy my pre-1920 open comb Ever-Ready that hinges in the front, the best. It's a beautiful razor and performs very well. I only wish there were more blade options available, and I'd like to get more blade life too. Two great shaves is my limit and that's only when I use a Treet carbon blade. If I could get four shaves out of a blade, I'd use my SE a lot more than I do. Anyone else have blade longevity issues with SE blades?

16. SharpSpine

Hrmm, I thought the only Ever Ready that hinged in the front was the 1924 model, and I didn't think they made that as an open comb. I'd love to see a picture of it.

As for the SE blades, I get many more shaves out of an SE blade than I can out of a DE blade. I easily get 7 shaves on a blade and have gotten 10 before. I shave daily usually so I just change out blades at the beginning of the week. So I get anywhere from 5-7 shaves on each blade very comfortably. I could go longer but it's easier for me to remember to change them at the same time each week.

17. Grant

Grant Active Member

Thank you so much for the information . I also have a ever sharp SE & a GEM Junior which I may now try . :)

18. Grant

Grant Active Member

sorry for late reply .Yes It was the cut out blade & i did mean angle . I do have a GEM junior and ever sharre I may now try .

19. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I always get 7 shaves from a SE blade, I suspect I could get more, but the blade owes me nothing after 7 shaves so I release it. I've only used Rite-Aid and CVS carbon steel GEM blades and Ted Pella triple facet SS PTFE coated blades (#121-3).

Basstone, if you'd like to try an AS by just investing postage to send it out to let it continue on it's rounds (about $2 since it's CONUS only) I have an AutoStrop & blades in circulation. It went out Tuesday to the first user. If you go to the thread and tell me to I'll put you on the list.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/traveling-autostrop-conus-only.25075/

20. Grant

Grant Active Member

Ok count me in but I'm in england but I will also add blades when I send it on,