My TSD Custom Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by thevez2, Sep 1, 2011.

1. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I now own a one of a kind TSD custom Razor. I believe the story of how I got it and why it is so custom is kind of interesting. I'd like to share that story here.

It all started off a while ago when I picked up this ugly as sin, Gillette Tech razor. It was funky, lots of plating was gone, and the handle was wierd. It had cut in lines running the length of the handle. I thought it was wierd, but not special. I ended up PIFing it away.

Then, more recently, I was reading Tforc's Thread, "Got poor tired razors? I need help with project." thread. I learned there that it was in fact a military Contract Tech. Oh no, I let a Military razor go!! Being in the Military myself, I have a fondness for all Military issue-type razors. My ignorance got the better of me. I saw what Tforc had done to the razor to refinish it and I was amazed. I needed to find one again!

Then I joined stingraysrock's The Grab Bag 2011, Round 2. As luck would have it, there was Contract Tech in the Grab Bag!!! I was anxiously awaiting my turn, when someone else posted that they had taken the Tech. I was quite dissappointed. But it is what it is. When the Grab Bag finally arrived at my door I was super excited to see what was in the box. Wait... What's this? There's a contract Tech in the box still!!! There were two of them in there, but I only knew of one. I was elated. Here is the Tech along with the other goodies I got from the Grab Bag.

[​IMG]

I immediately contacted Tforc to see if he would replate it for me. I asked him for a special favor to rush it, since I am soon deploying to Afghanistan. I wanted to get the razor so I could take it with me. He said it was no problem, and all the other great TSD members who were also waiting Tforc's services had no problem letting me jump in front of the line.

When Tforc received the razor, he informed me that the handle was only holding the head by a couple threads and to not over tighten it. I apparently was so exited about having it, I didn't check it over that well. Well, when I received it from Tforc, I was instantly amazed at the finish. Better than I expected, and better looking in person that in the pictures I'd seen in the thread. Here is what I received.

[​IMG]

Then I went to assemble the razor... what the...??? Not a single thread would grip. I guess it was worse than Tforc had said. I even removed the bottom plate to see if it would do anything and it wouldn't. Bummer. I contacted Tforc to see if he had any ideas to fix the handle.

Apparently he did some super secret behind the scenes digging and found another member with an extra handle. So I then get a PM from GDCarrington saying he will send me his extra handle. Apparently he had Tforc do 2 handles for his 1 razor (or something like that). Well I got the handle today and finally assembled the razor. It is a beauty. It is not the original Contract handle that I wanted, but that is OK. What I got in the end was even better. It is a TSD custom. Having this razor, and knowing that bits and pieces of it came from many different TSD members makes me feel like it is a family razor, and owning it makes me feel more like a part of this TSD family. I will think about you all every time I use it.

Here it is, in all its glory!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank You to everyone who had a part, directly or indirectly, in making this razor for me.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very nice.

I hope the razor serves you well. Stay safe.

3. hornm

hornm New Member

Congrat's. It's always nice when people are willing to step in and help another out with little or no reservation.

Michael

4. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Thanks for sharing your story! Your razor does look amazing!!! Thanks for your service as well - be safe!

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

That's pretty sweet!

6. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

quite nice

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very nice story! Further illustration as to why TSD is the best wet shave board on the planet! We are big enough to matter, small enough to care!

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Wow, I am glad that you were able to get that all worked out. Yup, more evidence of how awesome this place is. Way to go TSD!

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool! Looks great!! Enjoy :)

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This was a very interesting situation. I was cleaning out my junk box one last time for any hardware that could make one or two good razors. I found the one set of parts that made the Two Tone tech, but the rest was not in a useable state due to plating loss, etc. So I sent a PM to TForc and asked if he could work on some heads and some miscellaneous parts. TForc agreed, but he stated that he had a problem. KJ's razor had stripped its handle screw and it would take time to replace. TForc was concerned about the time it would take to obtain another handle and restore it and get it to KJ before he deployed. I had a spare handle that was made just to serve as a spare. It was made on a lark and was truly an extra part. I told TForc that I could send him that handle to save the time that it would take to find and restore another handle. I sent the handle FedEx two day to make sure it would get to KJ quickly. It did and now you see the results.

KJ use the handle in good health, stay safe in Afghanistan, and return home to have many wonderful shaves to come.

11. thevez2

Thanks. I used it this morning with an ASR Personna blade (my favorite) and it is a great mild shaver. It will definitely serve me well while deployed.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

dam fine looking razor there, and nice set-up aswell,

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Wishing you all the best and a safe deployment....And hope you get many years of great shaves with your one of a kind TSD Custom...:)

Dridecker and GDCarrington like this.
  14. Tforc

Tforc Member

Wooo Hoo glad you got to try it out. I would also like to say thank you to CDCarrington he did not hesatate to jump in and help, I am humbled by his quick generous action.
    KJ may your deployment safe wish you all the best.
    B

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: I'll only add a big "Thank You" for your service!

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Your welcome and KJ stay safe!

17. Nicktheswede

Nicktheswede Member

That looks great! Makes me want to try it myself.

18. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

VERY COOL

19. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Very nice Razor. Way to go CD, Tforc, and everyone else who let "Spider-man" sling his way to the top of the line. :happy096:
    Stay safe over there, Spidey!

20. thevez2

Thanks again guys. Loving the razor. Been a while since I've used a Tech. I guess I kinda discounted them because they are so mild. But in the end they still give an awesome shave. 25 days and counting till I leave. Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

GDCarrington likes this.