Traveling Autostrop- CONUS only

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Nairb, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

OK it's going to happen, everything is in place. The user list isn't closed, as long as blades exist in the pack, we can keep the razor traveling.

We'll follow the rules in the old thread, "Traveling AutoStrop, any interest?" (http://www.theshaveden.com/forums/threads/traveling-autostrop-any-interest.25041/)

If I haven't covered evrything there or here, please get back to me. I'll pay to put it into motion, the last user on the list sends it back to me.

IMO it's not fair to make folks who have already responded to the earlier thread to get into the queue in a different order, so I'll just continue with the order of the old thread. It'll probably be Monday when it'll be ready to send it out to Jeff (stingraysrock).

Jeff, I'll need an address to send it to in order to put this into motion.

I'll tell you when it ships; post to this thread when you receive it. I'll post who gets it next, and when you ship it to that gent, post it here, when he receives it he'll acknowledge it here, and it'll just go to each in turn. The next gent up is responsible for PMing their address to the person who will be shipping it. The person receiving the razor is responsible for cleaning it for his use. Please remove the blade before shipping it, and toss the used one away.

In order for this to work, we will each need to communicate each step, but we can do it.

Oh, and if it should get damaged, no big deal. I'd prefer it not to be damaged, but if it does, the razor isn't worth a great deal of $, it's my loss. I'd like it to be shipped in a carton to help prevent damage though.

The next folks in the lineup are:

Stingraysrock-Sent to Billr
    Billr- Awaiting Blazeadams address
    Blazeadam
    Sharpspine
    DE_Dude

I just copied the pertinent instructions from the VAS instruction sheet. They'll be in with the razor, please ship them with the razor for the next gent to use. There are instructions for adjusting the aggressiveness using the locking/unlocking lever. I don't do this, but it's your razor to play with for one blade, until you tire of it, or for 7 days, whichever comes first.

One thing not covered in the instructions is how to insert a blade. Some of the blades will be carbon steel, the edges of these are protected with black electrical tape, some will be SS they're covered with yellow electrical tape. Choose whatever blade you want to use. I use mineral oil to very lightly lube the bottom edges of the blade to ease the entry into the holder, but vegetable oil would also work. I assume everyone has access to vegetable oil. It'll go in w/o the oil, but I just think it's easier with, and your fingers are right there near that very sharp blade.

There is a locking/unlocking lever behind the razor head and beneath it. If I isn't in the up position (unlocked) make it so. When in this position, if you don't know what you're looking for you might miss it.

The blade holder is a leaf spring that runs along the top of the razor. It's free to pivot and you don't want it to pivot. I hold the razor and the pivoting blade holder with my right hand. Using my left hand I hold the blade from the bottom left (left edge anyway, and away from the sharp edge) slide it under the leaf spring, a straight left to right push will do it. Align it not by the blade holder you see (the leaf spring), but the portion of blade holder behind the blade. Then pivot the blade holder forward and down to the comb. With the thumb, pull down on the lever to the rear and below the head. Watch as the blade gets "grabbed" by the 2 clips on each end of the comb. I final center the blade on these clips. You don't need to be anal about that, it's just needs to be held in place by the clips. For carbon steel blade users, I use my finger and smear some Mineral Oil on each side of the blade while the blade is till dry and before the first use. At this point you can be as generous with it as you like since you're done handling the blade, but it will drain, so be advised.

If you don't get the blade installed correctly the first time just follow the directions for removing a blade and try again.

Carbon steel blade users (black electrical tape), when done with the shave, I wipe the blade and smear some more MO or vegetable oil on the top and bottom of the blade. Doing this will insure the blade won't rust for the life of the blade. Of course SS blade users need do nothing except shake off the razor.

For those who've never used a SE razor before, they all operate pretty much the same way; the angle is different from DE razors though. Put the razor head against your skin so that the blade and the upper portion of the blade holder simultaneously contact the skin, lower the handle a bit so that the blade holder has a little "daylight" between it and the skin. That's the right angle. If while shaving you see the tracks from the comb left on your skin, decrease the angle by reducing the amount of distance between the skin and razor head. It's extremely important with this razor that no pressure be applied. When it's right the razor will "speak" to you as it chops whiskers.

I've never used this particular razor before, so I used it Saturday and Sunday mornings to make sure it's good to go for a shave. Yuppers, it's good.

The razor can be seen here: http://photobucket.com/travelinautostrop
    I also put scans of the instructions in that album. I almost forgot to put them in the box, so I know how easy it is to overlook. If it arrives w/o the instructions you have them here.

In those pics you can see most of the parts I describe above.

Let's have fun with this gents! Enjoy!

If you feel like it, come back to this thread and tell us the tale of your shaves with it, good, bad, bloody, whatever. Maybe we can generate enough interest to use up the blades before it gets returned to me.

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Can I get in on this list as well? I've seen the VAS before but I've been hesitant to buy. This opportunity would definitely afford me the chance to see if I like it or not. The included instructions & your write up here will really be helpful.

Thanks!

3. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Brian, I added you to the list.

It's absolutely not too late to get added to the list. Others can be added as well. It'll be too late only after it returns to my hands after the last person, or after the last blade is used.

4. SharpSpine

Thanks Nairb! Does the VAS take modern SE blades or does this one require those Feather SE blades withe the name cut out in the middle like the old Valet blades

5. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

It takes special blades. It can accept the spineless Feathers, but I modified the rest of the carbon steel blades I had (5) and I just finished modifying 5 more GEM SS PTFE blades from Ted Pella. They'll fit and either one gives a great shave. I get 7 shaves minimum out of each of these blades but only if the carbon steel blades are cared for.

6. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Jeff, the package is all ready to go. It'll ship 1st class mail on Tuesday.

As per my rules, I removed the blade, and it's up to you to clean it.

Please post here when you receive it.

7. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

VIVA LA SINGLE EDGE!!!!

8. Grant

Grant Active Member

Ok count me in but I'm in england but I will also add blades when I send it on,

9. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Grant, You totally confused me. I mentioned this to Basstone in your AutoStrop thread. You've already tried an AutoStrop, and anyway, it's CONUS (CONtinental US) only. If you were CONUS it would be open to you, or if someone wants to volunteer to send it to you that'd work, but I can't ask anyone to pay extra postage.

If anyone volunteers, if the same box and packing material is used over and over the package weighs 6.2 ozs and I suggest 1st class mail. It'll be about $7. I can insert him in the proper place and beg the forgiveness of those who get pushed back in the queue.

10. Grant

Grant Active Member

no thats ok i'll sit this one out . thanks for your reply.

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Travelling Autostrop has landed in Florida!

I have installed one of the SS blades and will shave with it tomorrow. If Billr is still next, the razor will fly from FL to WA on Tuesday!

Thanks for setting this up Brian!

12. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

You're welcome Jeff. It's one way to figure out if one likes something before buying. You may like it and decide finding one is right for you, or you may dislike it. But either way, you'll know.

No hurry. Take your time if you wish. I get a weeks worth of shaves from a Ted Pella blade. If you get a weeks worth of shaves from the blade that's OK.

I was going to ask if you'd ever heard a SE razor while it works, but I see you have a Featherweight, so you'll be right at home with the sound.

13. SharpSpine

I love, love, :love029:, :love055: the audible feedback from SEs. It's just great when my wife can hear it from outside the bathroom! :happy093:

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

So the T/A is on its way to Billr today. I had a few good shaves with it, thanks again for letting me try it.

I had black one awhile back, or it looked black anyway, it could have been severely tarnished...I could not get it to take a blade so I put it in the grab bag for someone else to try. Now that I have used one that works, or, rather understand how it works, and if the other one is still in the bag, I may have another go at it.

15. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

woo hoo - Can't wait!

16. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I'm glad you enjoyed the experience Jeff. You're very welcome. I enjoy sharing the razor(s) that I enjoy that not many folks have in hand- there are certainly plenty of VASs out there. How did you find the aggressiveness? The first time I looked at the head geometry I was sort of taken aback by it. That is, just the comb and the blade, no cap to help control how deep a slice of flesh I could remove. This is a razor that definitely requires No Pressure. But the head geometry sort of forces the brain into no pressure mode.

Bill, when you receive it post here please. And let us know how you liked it or didn't like it, OK? Especially if you don't like it, post that sooner, maybe we can help. When it gets to you you have the life of the blade or a week, or as short as you wish too. Have fun with it!

Blazeadam, you're up next. Billr will need your address soon if he doesn't already have it.

17. DE_Dude

DE_Dude New Member

Please add me to the list, Brian! I'd like to give this one a shot.

18. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Hi Neil! You're in my friend!

I just got back online w/e-mail set up and all the niceties... My old computer pooped itself today, and the wifes computer has never been online or connected to a printer etc before. I just got it hooked up and to speed. I dislike this laptop keyboard very much! I'm accustomed to my clicky, full size, IBM keyboard. But I'm back now.

19. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

No Prob - I will post as soon as it gets here. I must admit I am pretty excited about it! I am going to need a PM from Blazeadam soon.

20. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member