First Shave With A 106 Year Old Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by huck1680, Aug 31, 2011.

1. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Hi Guys

Got this yesterday and took it for a spin. At first all I'm doing is pushing lather around and thinking "WTH?" Then I adjusted my angle and Voila! A terrific 2 pass shave with very little touchup at all.
    I really like this razor and it's going to be a great addition. The case is a tad worn and I may do something with it but that's history. The pics are from the seller. chicago4.jpg chicago6.jpg

battle.munky and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Jody will correct me if I am wrong... but I am thinking that is a Double Ring? People pay hundreds of dollars for them.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Nice haul. I was looking at the box and noticed that it was $5.00, 106 years ago seems like a very expensive razor for its time. No wonder why everyone had one razor and one brush.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very nice! May it serve you well for another 106 years! ;)

5. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Thanx guys and it is a Double Ring

6. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

It was. Most competing handles sold for $1, however Gillette kept a price of $5 on the handle right up until their patents were ready to expire. It was then that they dropped the old type to $1 and introduced the new type at $5.

7. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

yeah very nice razor there, glad it shaves well.:)

8. Kyle7372

Kyle7372 Member

I love the dull and sharp blade boxes!

9. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

great looking razor :)

10. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Very sweet, wishing you great shaves for years to come.

11. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Such a fantastic piece of history! Glad its in good hands that will treasure it for what it really is. May it bring you many wonderful shaves!

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yep, that's a Double Ring... Gillette's first retail model (their very first model was a prototype with a wood handle). And to me, a fantastic shaver. So good in fact, Gillette could have stopped right there and never made another model and probably would have if their blades from back then weren't so horrible. I truly believe it is the early DE blade technology that caused razor manufacturers to try and improve their razors. The early blades were the "problem" with the shaves but the geniuses blamed it on the design of their razors. A 106 year old double ring with a good modern blade is all anyone truly needs, IMHO. :)

Congrats and you got it at a great price too! :)

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Muhle should just go ahead and stop at the current R-41 then!

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent haul and yes the real old school Gillette are something special.

Enjoy!

15. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Very nice. Double Rings are on my list of things that I'll grab if I wander into an antiques store, and there is one for way less than the going rate. Can't quite bring myself to pay today's "normal" prices for one, but I can admire them in pictures.

16. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Congratulations! Gillette really had it right back then.

17. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Always nice to see a Chicago Chopper!