Need help with this Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mechguy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I was given three razors by my stepfather before he passed away. I am not looking to sell it, I just want to learn some more about it.It looks like a Gillette New, but I'm not really sure. Every keeps talking about date codes and I can't seem to find it anywhere. It has the Gillette USA markings. Where can I look to find out more about this razor? I tried shaving with the razor many months ago and it left me with a real bad case of razor burn. I put it away for awhile and stuck to my Gillette adjustable. I have been using lately and it seems a bit more aggresive than my Gillette slim.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Razor 001.jpg

Razor 002.jpg

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm sure someone will come along that can provide more information on it, but that is a Gillette NEW with a long comb. If I remember correctly, Gillette didn't use many date codes between the 20's and 50's. The NEW is most likely a 30's production. Many people love that razor. Spend a week or two with it and go very gently. If you see tracks in the shaving cream from the comb, your angle is off. They are good shavers and IMO are definitely more aggressive then the slim. Just need to get the technique down.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

From Mr. Razor.com

[​IMG]

OCs are as a breed a little more aggressive than closed comb (bar) razors. You simply as Dale said have to work with the angle a little more.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

I agree that that New's seem a bit more aggressive than a Slim to me as well, but its a fantastic shaver. Hope it works out for you as my New's deliver some of my best shaves.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I have one as well and I find it to be a bit much for my skin.

6. Mechguy

Thanks for the response's, I appreciate it. I have noticed at times that I leave comb mark's, thanks for that tip as well. I have been using it for the last week and I am liking it. I am glad that I revisited it. Dale why do you think it is from the 30's, it could be, just curious why.

The pictures were helpful, it definitely looks like that, or what it could look like if I cleaned it up. I have a new goal now.

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think I can help you out on this one.
    The picture that Mr. Razor has for this is an approximate guess of the exact year of production. This razor was made no earlier than 1930 with the "Gillette New" design starting at that point, (OLD three hole heads existed in the 1920's and earlier) through the late 1930's.

Here is a Time magazine advertisement dated 3 January 1938.

[​IMG]

This provides the 1930's time frame because the late 1930's saw the end of the open combs. Gillette ended the closed combs in favor of the closed comb (bar).

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have to say that those are my favorite razors. I want 6 more razors so I can have a full week set of NEWs :). They are amazing.

9. It 'very nice! I think with a little 'experience on your part can shave off big time!

10. Mechguy

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.

11. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Hope it gives you many great shaves as mine has. They are absolutely amazing... YMMV :)

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

These are one of my fav Gillettes - for me in the top three. An excellent grip pattern, the handle is the right diameter for me with a nice heft, and the blade gap on these NEW heads seems just right for my stubble.

Enjoy