Loving my Gillette Knack!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BeeGee, Sep 7, 2011.

1. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

I've been DE shaving for about a week now. It's totally different than cartridge shaving, it's much better!

I've actually been enjoying it. It's fun searching for new products and trying things out to see what works best.

I've been using the Merkur Supers, the first shave was a little rough and took forever as I was worried about cutting my face up. Second shave was much better.

On the third shave I put a new blade in and it was like the heavens opened up...smoothest shave yet! I'm about 5 slaves in and now it's much faster and my confidence level is way up. The chin area is no problemo!

Well, I've got a hand picked sampler pack of my own on the way. I'll let you guys know how they work out as they are tried.

Thanks for the great information this site provides!

PanChango likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Knack is a relatively mild shaver and should serve you well!

3. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I have a Knack kicking around somewhere but have yet to use it. You may have inspired me if I get any DE cravings between my usual SingleEdge shaves.

Enjoy!!!

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Glad you're enjoying it! While the Knack isn't my favorite shaver, many do like it.

5. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

I am enjoying it. Tonight was definitely BBS everywhere but the neck. My neck is pretty sensitive so I've gotta take it easy there.

What would be a good razor to go to after this one?

6. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

IMHO, one of the Edwin Jagger razors. Any of these; DE86/87/89/89L etc. All have the same head (made by Muhle) they just have different handles.

You can check out My Shave Den to get a look at the DE86 and 87.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad to hear it's going well. It only gets better!

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you want to go with a current production razor this is the way to go in my opinion.

9. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

Current production or vintage, cost is a factor.

I really like the styling of the EJ DE89, and at about $40 shipped it's not to hard on the wallet compared to some others out there.

Are there any vintage models out there (adjustable or non) that are comparable in performance to the EJ for less money?

My new blades will be here today, I can't wait to try out some different ones.

Thanks!

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A "good" condition Gillette Slim can be had for around $15-25 in auctions, a SuperSpeed for around $10-15 but you have to be more careful since they are used and you may or may not get a reputable seller selling a razor that is really in "good" condition. It can be done fairly easily.

You can keep your eye on the Classifieds in this forum. This is a good way to find a razor.

Good fortune in your search.

11. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

I used a Feather in the Knack tonight (I am a night shaver). Definitely a much smoother, sharper blade then the Merkur Super. I like the Merkurs, but the smoothness of Feathers makes it a winner in my book.

After another 2 or 3 days I'll be trying the Personna med preps. Then it'll either be the Derbys, Gillette 7-O'CLOCKS, or some Sharks.