Do you THINK you have sensitive skin?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Slivovitz, Aug 21, 2011.

?

How sensitive is your skin, with regard to shaving?

1. Very tough.

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Tough

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Normal

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  4. Sensitive

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. Very Sensitive

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I have a beard that grows very fast, i can skip a day here and there but more than that it's too much.
    Also i have a sensitive skin, prone to redness, cuts and irritation.
    But thanks god i don't have ingrown hairs problem.

2. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

As stated above, when I used the old Trac II or the non-irritating Norelco electric, I would get all kinds of rashes on my neck area, and fought it with every special cream you could think of. After I threw away the Trac II and gave away the Norelco all irritation went away. If I have to rush through a shave, I just don't shave.

Some creams seemed to burn when I tried them including one of my favorites, the Musgo Real. Unlike my old model airplane days, I have now learned to read directions and discovered it takes no more shaving cream in the bowl than it does toothpaste on the toothbrush. Using that principal, I have not had any burning/irritation problems with any cream/soap.

We do get smarter with age, and you can teach an old dog new tricks.

3. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Unfortunately, I have found that I am the same way. Perhaps rogaine on the face to speed hair growth would help.....;)

4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I always felt like everyone said that they have sensitive skin but that might have just been confirmation bias. At least a decent number of people in the poll said that they have normal skin.

For me, I think that I had a few indicators of having really sensitive skin. Every artisan fragrance under the sun seemed to cause at least a mild amount of irritation, but I didn't really have any problems when I temporarily went back to regular, unscented shaving gel in a can. My skin is also dry and I need to apply cream a few times a day, even in the summer. I still feel like people might be rolling their eyes when I post about having sensitive skin since so many people claim to have it when they probably don't, but I think that I have some clear indicators. Whenever I try a new scented soap, I keep my fingers crossed that my face doesn't start feeling like I dunked it into an acid bath.

5. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Wow! Back when I voted (who knows how many yeays ago) I selected sensitive. Today I would say normal of maybe even tough, as there are only a few items that irritate me.

swarden43 likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

If you had asked me in the beginning, I had (and did say back then) that I had very sensitive skin.

Evolution since taught me, that I had no such thing, just bad shaves.

And I'd go out on a limp and say that applies to most men. It's amazing how much a bad shaving technique (and/or bad tools) can make the skin "sensitive".

Metro and swarden43 like this.