Williams Week Sep. 19-25, 2011

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by swarden43, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Are you sure that's Menthol in that little baggie?

battle.munky likes this.
  2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Williams is still going strong with out any skin issues. My upper cheeks burned a little on Tuesday; however, no rash and no other issues. All the same, I am looking forward to using something else.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I had to resort to some old tricks like marinating my face in Corn Huskers all day, my face has been killing me all week till now. The 444 balm and splash combo worked out great during the day, but I woke up the next day with a bone dry face somehow.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thursday - Williams is not impressing me. I'm still not keen on the smell and not knowing if it is going to give me a rich, thick lather or not is frustrating. This morning's lather was a bit better than yesterday's, but still not like I can get from other soaps. And, yeah, I don't find it very stable, either. I does seem to disappear pretty quick once you get it to your face. The final results of the shave were great. I'll give it that. But I'm into the shave for the whole experience, not just the end product.

Two more days - I'll stick it out. (Saturday is my str8 shave. I've found TSD soaps to work best for me when wielding the cutthroat blade.)

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Corn huskers helps when I am dealing with shaving irritation. Pure aloe helps as well. However, they don't do any good if it is allergic/chemical reaction. Certain soaps cause instant burning and rash, some I can use every day, and some I can use for a while but after 2-3 days I get trouble. Williams is usually in the last group. So far, no problems this time around.

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Simpsons Chubby 2
    Williams Vintage Tonsorial Soap
    EJ with Ebony Handle
    Feather Blade
    TSD Iced Cracklin' Firewood Splash
    Phyto Expert AS Balm

-Chubby and Williams are a great combo. As usual with the Chubby I could have shaved 5 more people. It's a lather hog.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gem OCMM
    Gem Stainless PTFE
    Rooney 3/2 Super
    Modern Williams
    Alum
    Superior 70 Bay Rum (Boosted)

A fresh blade stepped up the shave this morning. Two passes plus a little touch up for a pretty darn good shave.

8. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Well, it's Thurdsay.

Lord L6 Razor
    Astra Superior Platinum, 3rd day
    VDH boar brush
    Williams Mug Soap
    Generic Witch Hazel
    Phyto Expert Regular aftershave balm.

3 passes, WTG, 2 XTG. A Pretty good shave, I would say it was a DFS. I didn't do a ATG pass because I don't think my face was up to it.

Williams soap just isn't fun anymore! :angry017: I get excellent shaves with it, don't have a problem lathering it. The lather doesn't last that long, but it's long enough. It has no skin care whatsoever. The scent....is lacking to say the least. As has been said, it's a utility soap for a utility shave.

I'm finding that my VDH deluxe soap is much much much much MUCH better. At least I know what to buy if I ever need a cheap emergency shave soap.

9. Sodapopjones

Yeah, skin allergies not so much... Otherwise its a cheap version of Skin Food.

10. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Thursday's Shave:

Gillette Aristocrat
    Voskhod
    Semogue 830
    Vintage Williams + M-Bomb (2 drops)
    Vintage Aqua Velva
    RSC ASB

IMG_2314_1_1.JPG

11. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Thursday morning,

Gillette NEW Short Comb,
    Personna Red Pack Blade (3)
    Rooney 1/2 "Super" Silvertip Brush,
    Williams Mug Soap w/ hot water lather,
    finish w/ cold water rinse. DFS!

12. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Williams Week- day 4

Modern Williams
    Surrey brush
    Ever-Ready 1914
    Gem Blue Star blade
    Vintage Avon Spicy AS

Amazing that a razor designed almost 100 years ago still works so well. And another great shave with modern Williams!
    [​IMG]

13. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Williams Thursday. Pretty much the same as Williams Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.... with the exception of a fresh blade this morning.

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

+1, The only place in a str8 shave for Williams is on the strop IMO. So far Williams week is teaching me that some things are better left un messed with, like Williams' original formula.

I do have to admit though, that if you mix up some modern Williams into VDH you end up with a DFSoap, so it can't be all bad.

Williams Week: Thursday!

• EJ 89L
    • Voshkod (4)
    • Vulfix 404
    • VanWilder SS
    • mentholated Adidas Dynamic Pulse
    Amazing shave today. No irritation and >90% BBS. 4.5/5 blades :)

15. Sodapopjones

Very nice Mike! ;)

battle.munky likes this.
  16. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Williams Week - Thursday!

I want to play too!! :cool:

Hot Shower
    Green Marvy Mug
    Sabi Badger
    Vintage Williams with one brush load of TSD Yukihana
    Lord L6
    Gillette 7OC - Blue (3)
    Cool Water Rinse
    Hyatt Portico Lavender & Citrus Body Lotion
    Giorgio Body Spray

Fantastic shave today. The Yukihana added just enough scent to my shave, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Have a great rest of your week!!

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well, the last two days I use 7 O'Clock Yellow (Sharp) blades with the Williams shave. Great, comfortable shave. There are better soaps that I have left me nicked up with these blades. Its not much to look at (or smell), and it is fickle as can be. But it works.

All the same, when my TSD Pumplin Delight arrives, the Williams will go back to the pale, dusty, dark corner of the rotation.

18. Gillette Tech w/Shark blade
    SimplyBeautiful Pure Badger Brush
    Williams Mug (modern)
    Witch Hazel
    Stetson Cooling Moisture AS

Another good shave, but my face doesn't feel quite as good as it did after yesterday's shave, which may be related to adding the extra ATG pass yesterday. I did it again today, and its a really close shave, but my face feels like maybe I wound up shaving just a little too close. Dunno. Maybe now my skin just has to make an adjustment to having the extra pass.

19. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Tom, I like the handle on that '14. That looks like real knurling (sharp). A handle like that never slips. Like on my VASs.

My '25/14 ('25 with an old head) has a smooth faceted handle (6/8 sided) that I can use, but not much in love with.

I need to keep my eyes open for a real 1914. I want to keep the '25/14 original and in the touring case otherwise I'd just buy a handle.

20. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE FRIDAY!

Decided to change things up.

First try of Gillette superspeed
    used Generic DG blade (It worked really well for one shave on the lord)
    Eterna pure bristle brush
    Williams mug soap
    Generic Witch Hazel
    Chaps Aftershave splash
    Phyto sensitive AS balm

Honestly......the shave felt fine......until the splash.......Then this happened.

[​IMG]

My face was on fire!!!!! It took a lot of rinsing and then some balm to sooth me down. All in all, a PAINFUL shave.