Open Comb Week Oct. 3-9, 2011

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by swarden43, Sep 28, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Wednesday

Used an OLD Single Ring. A bit on the aggressive side, but I like it. Great shave today!

2. newb

newb Resident Newb

I've been working 16's the last couple of days, and have been using a Lord L6 for that quick fast morning shave. My first shave with the Gillette TTO open comb was a little rough this week, but I think my face has healed and I'm ready to get back in the saddle tomorrow. I'm thinkin I*Kon for tomorrows shave. Hmmmmmmmmm.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Wednesday:

• R41
    • Derby (1)
    • Vulfix 404
    • Arko SStick
    • boosted AV Musk (forgot it in the pic though.....)
    SOTD_10-5-2011.jpg

A great shave! I did get a few decent nicks today and I think I'm still working out the kinks with the R41. Coulda been the blade switch too. I'll keep experimenting with blades but so far I'm loving this razor. 3.75/5 blades.

fishcrow, MRast01 and Sodapopjones like this.
  4. newb

newb Resident Newb

I find all the old style Gillette's to be on the aggressive side. Good shavers but I really can't do more than 2 passes with them.
    Bob, I broke down and ordered an R41. I'm looking forward to using it, If it ever makes it here from Ireland. I really hope it lives up to the hype.

scott wein, fishcrow and battle.munky like this.
  5. battle.munky

I can't guarantee you'll like it but I can guarantee you will understand the "different" that everyone refers to when they describe it. I do hope you like it though. If not, I'm sure you can get rid of it pretty easy.

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

Do you like that 404 ? I find it to be an excellent brush, it took a while to break in. I do though wish that the knot was a little more dense. That's the only complaint I have with it. The knot would be better IMHO if it were more dense.

My problem is it takes so long for me to give up on a razor that if I don't like it , it may not be the flavor of the month by the time I sell it.:sad024:

battle.munky likes this.
  7. swarden43

Don't you mean "Arko Lump"? :biggrin:
    All that talk you been making about the R41 lately is getting me thinking.....

battle.munky likes this.
  8. battle.munky

I love the 404! It is my most utilitarian brushes. I originally thought the knot could be denser but then settled on the idea that it would maybe be too different from what it is in that case and then I liked it for what it is. I'm very pleased with it.

The R41 is a very different razor. I think it is one of those instant classics, so even for a while you should be able to dump it off in the event you don't like it. Hopefully there won't be a need to though.

9. battle.munky

I smushed it into a mug but after a few uses I missed using it like a stick so I reformed it and it took that lump shape you see now :)

Who me? I don't even know what this R41 you speak of is. Is it some kind of space plane? The latest kitchen appliance? ;)

swarden43 likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like the 404. I got one for my pop about a year and a half ago. He loves it. I gave it a spin a few times and wish it had a slightly larger knot 24mm or so would be about right.

The R41, well it was too much for me. Gave it a try and it didn't take long to realize. I am becoming a curmudgeon and have a hard time using anything other then my OCMM and Semogue boar.

11. battle.munky

[​IMG]

newb and PanChango like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I resemble that remark, but my eyebrows aren't quite so thick...

battle.munky and newb like this.
  13. battle.munky

Yet. :signs136:

[​IMG]

PanChango likes this.
  14. newb

newb Resident Newb

Wow, that scares me. Too much for a dedicated old style user, as I find the old style almost brutal. I can only use an old Style for 2 gentle passes. Hmmmmmm. My skin is so sensitive, I wish I had alligator tough skin. Oh well I'm still looking forward to the R41, but I'm Leary of it.

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's weird but I don't find the Old Type to be a rough shaver. I think the OCMM is not bad at all, just effective. I also never do more then two passes. When I try to add a third pass, I end up with lots of irritation on the neck without a much smoother outcome.

With the R41, I found a sharper blade did better for me. Feathers gave me nice shaves, but I just didn't like how it shaved. When I tried to use less sharp blades, I found them tuggy. Out of all my razors, it was the only one where I had a blade preference. I think it has a lot to do with the lack of curvature on the blade. It is pretty flat.

I think it is a polarizing razor. If it works for you, I would bet that it would be tough to pick anything else up. If it doesn't work for you, it won't take very long to figure it out. It is definitely worth a try.

battle.munky and newb like this.
  16. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Yeah I figured it wasn't really considered an open comb, but seeing how the bar part never actually touches my face it acts just like one. So...count it!

Plus the only true OC I have is my new, and I can't shave with that every day...

newb likes this.
  17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    and thus a moderator was born. :happy102:

battle.munky, PanChango and swarden43 like this.
  18. swarden43

Thursday

Well, as they say, "Out with the OLD, in with the NEW."
    Yup, today was the Gillette NEW.
    Noticed a little burn during the final rinse. Don't know if it was the blade (Voskhod, day 4), or a lapse in my technique.

19. battle.munky

Thursday:

• R41
    • Tabac SS :love029:
    • Derby (2)
    • Simms boar
    • boosted Musgo Real
    Not a bad shave but I got more nicks today than I have in a year. Between the R41 and the Derby, they find every less than flat spot on my face. I'm glad I don't shave my forehead.

Dridecker likes this.
  20. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

I'm determined to finish out the week with my Merkur 25C OC. Smooth, socially acceptable shaves, but not the daily BBS I've come to expect from my 38C or 39C Slant.

Omega 66 Boar
    Monday was Omega tube cream, but I've settled into Cella for the remainder of the week.
    I'm using a Personna Lab blade. I've used this 25C OC with a Feather too, and while sharper, it still doesn't get any closer.