Which Movies had scenes where Actors used straight/safety razors ?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by SSLSTudio..., Mar 9, 2007.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It feels like trivializing a very serious movie to mention this, but when you have a special interest like classic shaving, you can't help noticing things like it. In the 1984 version of 1984, one of the many shortages that the citizens of Oceania face is razor blades. Winston Smith (John Hurt) at one point mentions that he has been using the same razor blade for six weeks. Later, we see him dropping a very rusty DE blade into the top of a three-piece razor. Doesn't actually show him shaving with it, though.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Weird Science! Anthony Michael Hall is shaving with a black beauty or Super Adjustable, I couldn't really see it good enough to id it, right before they make Kelly LeBroc pop out of the bathroom.

3. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Not a movie, but on HBO's series Boardwalk, showed the main character Nucky Thompson shaving with a straight razor. From what I could tell, his angle would have caused pain and laceration. It appeared to be held at a right angle. I'm sure it was just to show the time of the era and not a real shave.

4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I was watching "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson, the other night and the character of General Cornwallis, with a face full of lather, received a straight razor shave from one of his servants. In another scene the character of the Cavalry Colonel shaves himself in a creek with a straight and no lather.

5. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Not a movie, but I watched an hilarious scene of All in the Family where Archie and Michael were both shaving in the bathroom at the same time. Old school Archie had his DE, while hippie Michael had his new fangled cartridge, or injector. I thought it was a pretty cool way to further show the difference between the two characters and one I didn't expect. I wonder how many people would notice.

6. Slivovitz

Okay, this is cheating a bit, but it exemplifies a shaving phenomenon I've noticed mostly in older movies. In the 1935 Alfred Hitchcock classic, The 39 Steps, the hero Richard Hannay, played by Robert Donat, is on the lam for several days at least with clearly no chance to shave or take care of personal hygiene. Except for his mustache, he remains beautifully clean shaven throughout, and without a hair out of place on his head. Clearly he had some sort of 1930s magic shaver in his pocket, the secret of which has been lost in our degenerate times.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

For every man on the lam... Convenient, Compact, Complete.

foldabrush.jpg

Recklesstr and MRast01 like this.
  8. Slivovitz

I remember you telling us about that one. With a puck of soap in the other pocket, that might do it, if he could shave left handed. Did I mention that he spent at least 1 night with his right hand handcuffed to Madeleine Carroll? In a perfectly PG-13 context, I hasten to add.

9. IAmTheJody

No need for a puck of soap... that tube standing up in the center of the pic holds shaving cream. You use the razor handle as the plunger handle to push it out. I guess the only thing missing is water but if you're on the lam... spit? :happy102:

10. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

Just rented "House of Sand and Fog" and we see Ben Kinsley's character shaving in a lavish hotel's mens room with a foam can of Aveemo ( I think) and an unidentified DE razor going ATG no less.

11. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Just watched "Oh, God!" It's that old movie from the '70's with John Denver and George Burns as God, remember? God comes into John Denver's bathroom, JD starts freaking out, and God tells him to shave to calm himself down. JD gets out a tube of Palmolive cream and applies a dab by hand to his face, causing the most pitiful excuse for a lather you'll ever see. Then he gets a double-edge razor (I can't identify it), and proceeds to slice the crud out of himself. God gets him a little square of toilet paper, tells him not to wet it (I learned the t.p. trick from The Simpsons back when I was a wee lad too young to even shave yet), and he says, "Are you sure?"
    God says, "Am I sure?"
    I keep wishing throughout the movie that God would have told him to stay away from single-engine airplanes. :sad024::sick002:

12. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

The following John Wayne movies and there is probably more.

1953 Hondo
    1958 The Seachers
    1959 Rio Bravo
    1960 North to Alaska
    1965 The Sons of Katie Elder
    1966 El Dorado
    1970 Rio Lobo

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

basically the same scenario player out here when I watched it last ngiht....

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

TV reference; In a recent episode of "White Collar", Mozzie is seen shaving with a DE razor.

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Israeli film: Lebanon- the tank commander lathers up inside the tank and does a few pitiful passes with a DE leaving all his stubble on. Shows that he has lost his mind.
    The Longest Day: Some American officer is using a DE when he is informed about the invasion starting.
    The Village Barber shop has a scene or two with some Straight Shaving.
    Colin Firth in A Single Man: Shaves with a Gold Plated DE razor at the beginning of the movie.

16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Just saw an old episode of Hogan's Heroes where Newkirk was shaving with a DE. He had whipped up a dandy lather with a brush in a white coffee mug. I think the razor was some kind of Superspeed. They were planning something at the time..but then they were always planning..:D

17. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Just watched "The Skin I Live In" which is the latest Almodovar movie. There's a short scene where Antonio Banderas shaves someone with a straight.

18. IAmTheJody

The razor is a Gillette Super 109, aka long-handle black Super Adjustable, aka long-handle Black Beauty. I saw it about 2 weeks ago. Was just too lazy to dig through and find this thread. :happy102:

19. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I'm watching Schindler's list and there was just a shave scene (albeit a very short one).

Commander Shepard likes this.
  20. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

The Three Stooges! By far the best shaving tutorial around.