What should be my next brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by 2005xfr, Sep 19, 2011.

1. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

OK, I have a EJ Best Badger in black.

I've got a bunch of eBay razors (refinishing them now... pictures later)

I am looking for my next badger brush any suggestions?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

Your next badger should be a self-reknotted vintage handle with a TGN Overstuffed Finest Knot, 22-24mm!

rodd likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

4. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

[​IMG]

Simpsons Chubby CH2 or CH1.

scott wein likes this.
  5. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Welcome to The Shave Den! Enjoy your stay!

6. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Nice nab on the EJ! Just shaved with mine today.

Agreed. Or just get a handle off TGN website. Point here is that all of their knots are top notch. Personally I have a TGN Silvertip and it's my favorite brush - I have 4 brushes in my rotation but that one gets 80% playtime.

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Welcome!

What price range are you looking at for a brush?

8. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Thanks for asking! :)

Not more than ~$50 :angry017:
    I'm already in trouble for buying 7 "dirty old razors"! :angry019:
    Which I am in the process (slow as it may be) of cleaning up to make presentable/usable.

9. Sodapopjones

Ack, you can't maybe stretch it to $58.50?! :scared003:

10. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Maybe... ;) what do you have in mind?

11. Sodapopjones

A Simpson Colonel X2L in Best, which comes with a free soap if you order from WCS with discount codes.
    Average knot width is around 22mm, and a height of 49mm. Simpson pays more attention to the weight of the bundle of hair vs the actual dimensions.

I've got a couple PM's already from the other thread regarding this setup, as the current stock of Simpsons Best is spectacular especially at a price like this.
    Simpsons Best is more like other manufactures Silvertip and the current stock of hair is closer to Super...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're interested or just want some coupon codes PM me. ;)

battle.munky likes this.
  12. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

This is scratching me right where I itch

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've bought 2 Simpson brushes now from Superior Shave - a Duke 1 and a Berkeley. Best prices I've found and includes free shipping.

scott wein likes this.
  14. scott wein

great info Jody!

15. Sodapopjones

Jarrod does a good job by photographing his stock, but on the low end brushes, taking a Colonel for $58.50 with a free soap is a much better deal than $70.

I did buy my CH2 from Jarrod, and if I ever buy another Simpson that's north of $100 I will be sure to buy from him again.

16. scott wein

I noticed that Aaron...better deal at WCS. The 58.50 is low end brush but an upgrade for me. U have me excited about it . For experienced shavers, 100-200 bucks, what's "the brush (s). I'm gonna go in stages so I'm not there yet, but I want to learn what makes it more special.

17. Sodapopjones

Once you start moving up price vs performance and quality have diminishing returns, it becomes about preference and in some places/cases status or just something you have to have. For the most part the upper end market seems to be following the trend of 2 band, granted from what I have heard Thater 3 band is very nice.

I think the best value currently would have to go to Morris & Forndran, if you can even call a high end brush a value, I haven't seen a better bespoke brush unless you were to order a custom Simpson and pay a small fortune.

I'm waiting for reports on the new Thater 2 band, I hope they are indeed like the old Rooney Finest, as this time I might actually pay for one.

[​IMG]

18. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Check out New Forest two band brushes. They are right at the edge of your price range shipped , but they perform better than brushes I've bought for twice as much. It's the only brush I use these days despite a few good options at my disposal.

19. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Well, I bit the bullet! ;)
    Just got my new Simpson Colonel 2XL today... :happy093:

SWMBO: "A new brush?"
    Me: "Smell this soap, what do you think?"
    SWMBO: "Smells nice!"
    Me: Skulk (yes, it's a real word click here!) away to the shave den with my new brush.
    Going to try it out tomorrow AM. :happy036:
    Thanks Aaron!

20. scott wein

that could be my next...searching now, same budget