Are carts better after all?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by spinyeel, Jul 21, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Getting back to the original question in the title of this thread, "Are carts better after all?"
    Guess it depends on your definition of "better" and what you're applying it to.
    For some, they are. For me, they are not.

Hey, it's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

For me they aren't.

I tried my son's Hydro a few months ago and had to work much harder at it to get a DFS where I know a DE well enough to get it done in two passes, often with a near 100% BBS shave as a result. And I don't end up with that gloopy crap that oozes out of the lube strip all over my face. That stuff is very off-putting to me now that I know the difference. BTW, he uses a DE full time now too, so does my daughter, both by choice.

I think I would cut a hole in my bathroom wall and fish out the old DE blades to restore and hone before I'd go back to carts. There's always beards too......

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

That stuff is horrible... However, I remember thinking how great it was after I'd used one my my dads single bladed bic disposables back in the day. Now it's just a slimy mess.

battle.munky likes this.
  4. battle.munky

Very reminiscent of mucus to me......

Look guys, I got the new Hydro!

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I absolutely respect and defend the rights of anyone who feels the carts are cool...For whatever reason...
    Personally I don't...I like Schick Injectors best at this time...And its not about the money issue either....
    Here is a perfect example that happened just last month: I was traveling out of town for an over-night gig that turned into 3 days. One gig and two more days and nights "beach-combing"...Late at night on the second day I was heavy whiskered and dropped by a local bar in a small town on the Mediterranean that was featuring Jazz...Someone in the band knew me and asked me to sit in..I did...club mang. made a phone call...To make a long story short, there's a local small town news video camera and bright lights wanting a short interview...I look in the mirror and my white whiskers are making me look 20 years older and pretty grizzly. My wife hit the store next door and grabbed a Mach3. I had a chance in the dressing room to prepare, so I wash my whiskers in hot soapy water, rinse, lather with soap and made several attempts at a stroke, but all I got was tugging and pulling and ouch!!! Finally I didn't push it...not worth it!! Couldn't believe I couldn't make one stroke...So I went back out looking like the swamp monster, and did my 3 minutes and went back to the hotel...The next day when I arrived back home, I lathered up with a similar soap, just like the night before, just to see, and don't forget to add almost 24 hours more whiskers...I used my Schick with a week old blade and got a steller, no tugging, barber-shop close shave...IN ONE PASS !! NO CONTEST ! I'd pay twice the price or more, of that Mach3 and carts, to get the kind of shaves I get from my Schick !!

Now that was my..."The Schick's not different, it's Better" example...But I also like the "Not neccesarily better but different" angle too...The whole Traditional Wet Shaving experiance every morning helps set the tone for my whole day...

Theres also the esoteric reasons...like rebonding with my Dad, or taking me back in time...yada yada...But true...Theres also the fact, that when I have time to notice, my Schick or TWS'ing in general is just plain more fun...practicing razor buffing, gillette glides, or J-hooking...whatever...

But I do appreciate anyones choice to dig their shave, however they want to dig it...YMMV and all that...but that night my wife slipped me that Mach3 in that dressing-room...It stayed in that dressing-room when I left...:)

swarden43 and battle.munky like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Much life and love and wisdom shared here Lloyd. Always a pleasure to read your posts and spend a few moments living like a rock (Jazz) star in my mind!

Bird Lives likes this.
  7. battle.munky

I couldn't help but think the same thing Jeff. I was reading it and thinking of how cool it would be to do that, living the jazz life. Damn cool, Lloyd, damn cool.

Bird Lives likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, here is the son of a well known Jazz player posing a very similar question ...

Bon Bon Vie is French for Good Good Life.

Now T.S. Monk plays jazz drums versus the soul style that he did in the beginning of his career as shown in the video above.

T.S. Monk who is the son of the late great jazz pianist Thelonious Sphere Monk.

[​IMG]

Bird Lives likes this.