CELLA Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Johnny, Sep 19, 2011.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

funny you should say that because i was sent some of it along with Vitos Red. The Cella and Vitos both smelled like a linen napkin/table cloth. I didnt smell any cherry scent at all. Still a good performer though and im sure i will get a tub at some point.

So far when it comes to Italian products...Bigelow gets my vote out of what i have tried.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Cella's one of the topnotch soaps available. Its been in production since 1899 but only available in America to wetshavers since about 2008, it was the Italian born vendor Gio Abrate of the now defunct Barberia Italiana webstore who first introduced it . Its smell is closer to raw almond than the very sweet cherry amaretto almond of some Italian soaps. Superb performance , tallow based and all for about $10 bucks , its a vain search to try to find better.

Bristle Me and Paulie like this.
  3. Bull Goose sent me a small sampler of it and for variety I like it. I’m not sure the scent is something I’d want each morning. It does lather up real nice.

4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Just leave the top loose so it can air out. I did this with my Arko as I thought its scent was too strong. After about a week I was able to use it comfortably. I'd imagine the same could work with Cella.

5. Gillu

Gillu Member

I was thinking of getting the kilo block but the idea of having a block that will most likely last 4 years feels a bit over the top. I would rather rotate. If I rotate with this, my future grandchildren will be using it still!!! As superficial as it may sound, I kind of like the wrapper. Also, I am a loyal Italian-soap user. Cheap as chips and as good as gold.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I agree with you on this. I love old style packaging and that box does get your attention. But like you, I cannot justify that large of a block of soap. I would be afraid it might go bad over a long enough period of time.

The CELLA in the small red tub is one of my favorite soaps that I will not be without.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. mctmatt

mctmatt New Member

I just got my first red tub of cella last week and I thought everything about it was great except for the small container. I had to move it into something a little bigger so it would be much easier to move my shave brush around.

8. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

I just tried Cella in the red tub yesterday for the first time. The lather that I made was only average. I'll give it a week and try using a boar brush to see if I can't get a great lather.

9. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I will try to remember to do a Cella shave tomorrow and do a lathering demo using my badger brush. When I'm through it will look like a bowl of whipped cream.

10. SharpSpine

Video or pictorial??? I'll be looking forward to it either way. Love the lather that Cella gives!

11. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Pictorial. I have no video equipment.

12. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Decided why wait until tomorrow. So I just went in and whipped up a batch. Looks and smells good enough to put on top of my strawberries.

The tools:

Cella Red Tub
    Scuttle or cup/bowl of your choice
    Harris H1 Best Badger Brush
    Small coffee cup for soaking brush

Photo0928.jpg

Step 1: Soak brush in "hot" water.

Photo0929.jpg

Step 2: After gently shaking out some of the water from the brush, swirl around in tub for around 20-30 seconds. Should look something like this.

Photo0930.jpg

Step 3: Start swirling in a fast motion the brush in the scuttle or your favorite lathering cup/bowl and add "hot" water as need for your satisfaction. After about 30-45 seconds of doing this, you have a very nice lather.

Photo0933.jpg

RaZorBurn123, Paulie and Mechguy like this.
  13. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

Thanks for the great pics, Johnny. I just got done shaving, actually, and was able to make a lot better lather than I did before. I'm not sure if it was the brush I used, an Omega boar, or the fact that I used more water this time but I can definitely see why people like Cella. In the very short list of soaps that I've used, it's moved into second place, ahead of MWF but still behind DR Harris Arlington.

14. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I love my CELLA and I rank it second behind my MWF. I tried the Harris Arlington and to be honest, I took it off my list all together. My Proraso comes in #3.

To each his own.

15. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Maybe I need to try bowl lathering, you could be winning me over.
    Nice photo's, thanks for sharing your insights.

16. SharpSpine

In honor of this new Cella pictorial by Johnny I just finished my Cella shave. I normally face lather but choose to use the bowl this time so I could add some M-Bomb to the mix. The MMOC glided through the luxurious Cella lather with just a slight tug (blade retired after this shave, #6 btw). After the chilly, cherry, sweet almond shave was over I mixed a little Osage Rub in my hand with my moisturizer & massaged it in for a splendid finish.

Thanks for the inspiration (& the Cella) Johnny. I really enjoyed this shave!

17. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Hey, glad I could help in some small way.

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

19. TheMonk

TheMonk Well-Known Member

One of the best affordable italian soaps, IMHO.

Although I'm not a big fan of the traditional almond scent, I do find it's performance superior to any Proraso soap... and the scent has started to grow on me too!

20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm thinking about ordering this. I'll decide next week.