Suggestions for NON-sweet almond soaps or creams

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by BassTone, Oct 1, 2011.

1. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Hi all. I see a lot of almond scented soaps and creams like Cella (which I own), Fitness and so forth, but I really have grown to dislike the sweet cherry/almond scent and I'm getting the impression that many fall into that catagory. It's just a bit too cloying for me. What I would really love to find is a nice dry toasted almond scent with NO cherry notes to it. Think freshly toasting almonds in the oven just before being added to a recipe of some kind. Soap or cream, old standard or cottage industry, I'm open to most all. Just wondered what was out there that might fill the bill when I get around to ordering something new. Thanks! :)

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Valobra is supposedly almond scented, but to me it just smelled like musty old men.

/Not sure on almond scents as they aren't my favorite.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well, British almond is either a floral or marzipan, Italian almond is aged and dry, or an amaretto...

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Cella soap is almond, but not cherry-almond scented, and excellent.

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

D.R. Harris Almond smells to me like Parmesan cheese. Not a joke, that's really how I perceive it. I've read where other people describe it as a sort of wet earth smell.

Not really sure about Col Conk's almond, as I used up my one puck over a year ago. All I can tell you is that I remember liking it.

6. BassTone

Hmmm. Looks like I'm striking out. Parmesan cheese doesn't appeal to me in a shave product, nor does musty old man :happy097: Cella is a great performer, but I too find it a bit too sweet and may see if my wife would like to try it (she's a DE wet shaving convert now! ...legs of course) I might write to Prairie Creations and see what she can come up with, though it's not that pressing of a quest or anything. Just thought it would be cool to find something that smells like toasted almonds. I'll keep a look out though. Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts! :)

7. BassTone

What Italian soaps/creams would fall under that dry aged almond scent category? The amaretto style gets into the sweet category for me. Thanks!

8. Sodapopjones

You could try Valobra, you can detect the almond and its not sweet, but I can see how Dale could think of it as being a musty old man. I've heard the 1kg block of Cella is more muted, but I personally haven't smelled it myself.

9. BassTone

When your talking about Velobra, are you talking about the big block of it or the shave stick? It seams I've read that they are very different. Is that correct?

10. Sodapopjones

The stick, the other types of Valobra are glycerin based if I'm not mistaken.

11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I was going to mention the Velobra Soft soap also when I saw the thread...

Unfortunately, the best I have ever found is no longer available, unless you get very lucky, but Crabtree and Evelyn made a Sweet Almond Oil Soap and Cream which if you find it just buy it :)

12. howlwolf

howlwolf Member

Honestly, I don't think you have to look any further than right here at the den. I absolutely love the almond soap. It smells edible to me, thus more toasty as you are looking for I would gather. I dd get a used cello which I think is awful so I cannot compare the scent to. Night and day really. The Den's Almond scent soap will lather like a champ and smell good enough to just keep the lid off. You certainly won't be disappointed. As far as the cherry scent, it really is my first almond flavor if you will, but I think again it would fall under toasty. I hope this helps.

13. BassTone

Thanks again, guys! I'll look into this. :)

14. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Razo rock Cacoa and Col. Conk may be ones for you to try

BassTone likes this.
  15. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

And, always the Den where you can get those wonderful samples

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    TSD Almond is cherry.

I've never smelled an almond that wasn't cherry. Though Cella didn't smell almond or cherry to me, but I think I got a bad tub.

17. BassTone

Thanks for the heads-up about all of these products, I'll check into this Razor Rock stuff. I've read that it's nice stuff. I've actually never tried any Conk products, but at their price point, one cant' go wrong in trying.

18. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

Valobra stick is NOT glycerin based. It is, for all intents unscented. It simply smells like soap. There is absolutely no almond scent at all. It is a hard soap and very much different from your typical Italian cream soaps. I happen to like it, it's the only Italian soap that I still own.

19. Sodapopjones

There is almond if you smell hard enough lol, and I know its not glycerin based, the soft soap is.

20. sas71

sas71 Member

one thing with a soap...if you dont like the scent or its too strong..leave the lid off. that will help out a lot on knocking the power of the scent down.

BassTone likes this.