Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

My favorite lather catchers, which I pictured in this earlier post, are at or near the top of my favorite SE list. They are effective, but also very user friendly, the kind of razors that look scary until you actually shave with them. On the other hand, the Kampfe Star pictured below has not been good to me. It's one of the styles which should work with either wedge blades or standard disposable ones, but I just haven't been able to find the angle for a comfortable shave, and I've always gotten too much irritation with it. It's got the most blade exposure of any of my SEs, so I've always been very careful with it. Still I plan to keep on trying at intervals, reasoning that these lasted long enough to have worked for somebody. The specific model I have was introduced in 1902, but was still being made in 1919.[​IMG]

SharpSpine and tuco99 like this.
  2. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

I've given up on the 1912 style gems for now and moved on too the featherweight.Used it today and received a great shave .Next will be the pushbutton and then the contour,but will use the featherweight a few times first.
    I've enjoyed all the SE razors I have tried except the 1912 style razors will need too work on my technique on those.

3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I'm glad the featherweight is working for you! It never worked for me. My favorite SEs are the injectors and valets. The injector offers a great shave with no effort, but the valet leaves me smooth for 2 days! The only downside to the valet is tht if I catch a wrong angle at any point, I go from a smooth face to a pink and shiney smooth face! :happy102:

4. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

I just got a Gem Junior Bar and its a good shave however I noticed that the bar does not sit flush to the blade on one side while the other is very flush. The spring seems strong and snaps down with authority does anyone know if it's the spring on the high side that is weak or sprung or if I should try to bend the bar back down. It's only up a little bit but it buggs me.

5. Rexall

Rexall New Member

I have tried the Chinese Schicks and they really do not seem any better than the Ted Pellas. These both seem better than others I have been able to get which are usually older schicks that come with razors from Ebay. For some reason the older ones, even though new, seem sort of rough. So Pella turns out to be a good price and the best for me so far, so nothing to complain about here.:)

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together...
    Congratulations on finding a set-up that you really like...Me too...I love the vintage Schick Platinum Plus....But very often these Personna rebrands feel just like the Platinum Plus's...and at a fraction of the cost...I dig it...!!

7. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

This is a picture of my two gold-plated Schicks, the G2 and the G3
    [​IMG]

8. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Very nice!

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Super cool! Now those right there... those are rare finds too!

10. Slivovitz

The G2 is the only injector still on my buy list, with the G3 a "might buy". Your pictures are useful in showing the external differences, as it can be hard to tell if you don't have them in your hands. Still looking for better deals than the ones I've seen up to now, though.

11. Slivovitz

Nobody has answered you, and I'm a bit leery of giving repair advice that I haven't tried myself. Personally, if the blade is held firmly enough to shave with, you might want just to leave it. If you want to see if the bar itself is bent, though, you might try opening it up and holding it against a flat surface. If it is bent, I don't know what your best action would be. If it's made of brass, which seems likely, that can be pretty brittle. Many people who have tried to straighten the teeth on an open comb razor have found that out the hard way. Good luck, whatever you decide.

12. Bird Lives

So how does the shave compare between these two beauties...This looks like a perfect topic for a review...We've got beauty, danger, gold...if not a mini-series at least a review would be great...LOL

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Those are excellent specimens!

14. cpool222

Thanks, guys, these are my prized specimens among my Schicks... at least these and the repeating Schicks, I'll try to put some pics of those today or tomorrow. To answer "Bird Lives", I haven't really done a comparison shave-off between these two, I'll try to do that soon and report my findings. Thanks again.

15. IAmTheJody

Would you object to me using this photo as the example at http://renaldo.us/SchickRazors.html ?

16. cpool222

Not at all, Jody, be my guest. I'd be honored.

17. IAmTheJody

Thank you! :)

18. Bird Lives

Cool, looking forward to the "Shave-Off"....aswell as the pics of your repeaters...I believe the Schick Repeaters have to be the most futuristic razor thats ever been designed...They are still "Ahead of their time"...I remember when my Dad taught me what shaving was and he showed my the differance between his Schick I2 which he used, and the regular Gillettes...At that time he told me about the Schick Repeaters and they sounded like something out of Buck Rodgers to me...I never actually saw one till many, many decades later here at the Den...lol !!

19. sas71

sas71 Member

i bought one just like in the pics and its been one heck of a razor. its not going any where any time soon.

20. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

Slivitoz, Thanks for the reply I was able to tweak the bar back in place...thank god I didn't break, as I really like this razorand looking for another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.