The Haul: October 31st - November 6th, 2011

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Oct 31, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Brrrrrrr! Getting cold! :Animatedfrozensmily:

Share your goodies and remember, bonus points for pictures! :eatdrink047:

2. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

These came in the mail today,two different ebayers. IMG_0067 (Medium).JPG

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Thanks for assist, Jody. I daresay some folks up north will be glad if their hauls include getting their power back on!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

IT FINALLY CAME! :happy093:

Yesterday I received my TGN 20mm Sivertip knot. Now I can reknot my orange and black handle! I have set the knot already, but here is an image of what it will look like. I plan on using it soonand am excited to do so! If I do say so myself, this is one unique brush...I have never seen an ornage handle with such rich color.

brush.JPG

alpla444, wyatt46, Mechguy and 5 others like this.
  5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Loving the color! The shape is great too. Brushes like that just feel good in my hands for some reason.

lradke likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ditto! Love the color of that handle.

lradke likes this.
  7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

It's shaped like a Thater.

8. lradke

The color is great (shows up a bit dark in the photo) and sticks out like a sore thumb. ;)

I too like the handle, it is much smaller than my other 2 brushes but it feels really comfortable in my hand! There is only one problem though...I need to give the brush a name...

9. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Haul of sorts...
    Ordered a wheel cover for our new JEEP on eBay ( we bought a Jeep Liberty in October)
    I contacted the vendor and Cancelled the order almost immediately when I realized I needed a 17" not 16" cover.
    Due to PayPal's policies it took 9 days to get my refund of $45.00...no big deal

This showed up in the mail yesterday from China, 6 days after I got my refund, 15 days after I cancelled my order
    And it fits...go figure ??
    16 inch Tire Cover.JPG

alpla444 and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I got my first Alum block in the mail today, an Osma Bloc. I keep reading how they make your skin feel great, so I can't wait for tomorrow morning.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Another razor from SWMBO-it's like a crack-head living with a crack dealer.
    torrey.jpg

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice looking Torrey.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It sure is.

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Torrey is one heckuva great shaver. Mine is among the best I have.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Why was it called the "Popular" and not made for a longer period of time? Did the beginning of WWII prevent the continuation of the production of what must have been a high-end set? Did the access to rhodium become more of a challenge? And were the Brits trying to simplify their production of razors?

In any case, these are so beautiful and so hard to find. The deep blue case is one of my favorites -- with the incredible shine and sheen of the rhodium plating. Truly a great set and quite popular in my collection. I feel very fortunate to have recently acquired this one -- even with the missing blade case. Seems to be one of those sets that was stored in someone's bureau for the past 72 years (made in 1939) -- awaiting the 21st century to reappear!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

battle.munky, wyatt46, tuco99 and 5 others like this.
  16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Looks like this set could have been a prototype for what Gillette developed and called the "Executive" set. Totally enclosed in a hair brush -- a full shaving set, including a mirror & cylindrical case for a styptic pencil. Just missing the blades.

No name on the razor or brush, but high quality and never used. Looks to be a late 1940s or early 1950s set -- the open comb design is one of the giveaways. The faux tortoise shell is pretty cool, and there is a similar material made comb -- almost visible in photo #4 -- that is hidden within the brush handle.

I've had some excellent travelers, but this is among the most remarkable. At least among the non-Gillette versions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dare I use it? Doubtful -- unless I get really desperate. It is so pristine and clean and mint.

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very nice scores Jake!
    [​IMG]

18. lradke

Those are beautiful!

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

C'est très magnifique! These are so nice, they needed to be displayed twice.

Excellent hardware you have there!

20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

From the 1954 and 1955 annual Gillette company picnics... these'll look good in a frame.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington, rodd, tuco99 and 2 others like this.