How do you present yourself?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by tommyboy923, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

If you're happy and your wife is happy, that's all that matters. Different strokes for different folks is want makes this old world go round. Saying that, you will probably get better reception on the coast of FL than Muskogee. We get stared at every year when we go through Muskogee on our way to Texas, and all we have is WI license plates.

2. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

That aint no joke sir! Muskogee is a haven for rubberneckers....not sure if thats a common phrase...but if noone is familiar with it....rubberneckers are simply people who stare when they shouldnt.....the kinds of people that hold up traffic because they want to scope out a bad wreck for the wrong reasons and such......muskogee is filled with em.....it is a VERY conservative town and very nosy as well.....im sure all cities and towns have their fair share but this place is horrible...if you dont have a hick accent or if you dont drive a dually with stacks comin from out of the bed.....you are weird to these people. Most around here are not acceptable at all of my looks but I dont care.....it always insures me and my wife get a good quiet corner in a restaraunt where noone will bother us hahaha....and I definately dont get falsley accused for ever stealing anything because most women cling to their purses as I walk down the isle of a store.....I find positivity in everything that most would consider negative like the two situations I just mentioned. I get stared at but im never bothered unless someone wants to tell me my artwork is awesome or something......it more less helps filter out people that shouldnt be in my life...if they cant approach me because I look like I do.....it wasnt fate to meet em anyways.I like meeting new people...just not the negative kind.....who does?

3. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I just have to ask, what in the world are you doing in Muskogee? I am originally from Chickasha. Kind of like Muskogee but a little more upscale.

4. Latherman87

A unfortunate happening is the reason I reside here...... parents never moved when I was young hahaha......but for now the wife and I stay here until we get our foot in the doors of our chosen careers.....once we get on our feet we will pick up and move on down to Destin,Florida.....and family keeps us here...we are big on family and its kinda hard to just move off.......I guess we are kind of stalling on purpose but when we are ready we will leave.

5. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Well, good luck. Destin, FL is a very nice place.

6. Latherman87

Thank you sir....im sure everything will go according to plan....its a good tourist town....and thats what I will need for a steady client base in the tattoo industry.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Let's try and keep the negativity and insults out of this thread, and the whole forum for that matter, please.

While the comments don't seem to be directed at any one in particular, they're better left at the door.

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

As for the flip flop between the toes thing, that is a problem with some brands. You've definitely got to test them before purchasing. I've tried many a pair that hurts the toes. Plenty others that don't though and those are what I buy. My feet are flat as boards anyway so walking on a cheap slab of flat rubber doesn't bother me at all. As to foot health, on the advise of my Podiatrist I spray every shoe I wear with Lysol after each days use. Keeps the tootsies fresh and fungus-free! :love055:

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

During most of my adult life a Jazz gig meant wearing the best suit you could afford...If you don't, the audience thinks you're just a bunch of guys jammin' and having a ball...But no respect...If you present yourself like you own Lincoln Center, they take you more seriously and might actually listen...:) But in recent years I've been fortunate enough to be gigging mainly in Palm tree areas...So the dress has changed...White Linen pants with Cotton shirts, either LaCoste or Tropical style without too many colors...Too many colors and you have to play more Jimmy Buffet than Dizzt Gillespie...LOL...Not that there is anything wrong with Buffet, just that I would use different instrumentation for that...
    Off the bandstand, in the city, jeans, LaCoste style shirt and sandles or sport shoes..

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

My weapons of choice are shorts (right up till winter) with a t-shirt usually emblazoned with some band I've either played with and traded shirts with or just bought at a show. That and skate shoes.

If I'm teaching I'll usually clean up to pants and non-denominational t-shirt or collared shirt. But my lessons know my deal so they don't bat an eye when I show up in ripped shorts and a kid dynamite shirt.

11. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I'm kinda currently unemployed at the moment, so my current look is a little overly casual. In warm weather I wear a colored T-shirt (no logos or numbers of any kind, usually dark blue), sometimes with a collar, with khaki or denim shorts. In terms of shoes, in warm weather I either wear some generic sneakers with the short ankle length white socks. Sometimes I wear a pair of generic knock-off brand of Crocs (I know, clown shoes).

In cooler weather I usually wear the same type shirts and occasional long sleeve shirts with collars and/sweat shirts/occasional sweater, but with dark gray sweatpants with black tube socks and same shoes. All shirts worn on the outside, except in cases of an inner tee-shirt either crew or v-neck, and sometimes a jersey. When employed as a substitute teacher a polo on the outside with an inner shirt with a belt and khakis where acceptable; sneakers that were not white, or black loafers.

When I was employed at a motel, I wore a light to medium blue button down shirt and tie (shirt varied long sleeve/short sleeve depending on season) with comfortable black leather loafers. Management changed hands more than once during my employ, so sometimes a tie was optional, sometimes mandatory. Same with pants, sometimes khakis were fine, others preferred black dress slacks. Shirts always tucked in with a belt. Inner shirts were at my own discretion.

In my preferred state, a nice cotton t-shirt preferably darker colored with denim shorts with either crocs or sandals. I'm a plus sized male so darker colors help with the thinning illusion thingy. In cooler weather the same except for dark grey sweatpants, black socks and non white sneakers. While my current stash of shoes are are tie up lace, I will go on the record as saying that I'm not above velcro shoes, although I will trim the velcro strips just to the point where all the bottom fuzzy stuff is covered because I don't like the look of excessive velcro strap overhang, if this makes any sense to you. I try to contour my trimming of the straps so they or more rounded and not just chopped off straight. Try to visualize a straight razor with a round point edge, as opposed to a square point edge.