Proraso Eucalyptus Shaving Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tubers, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Tubers

Tubers New Member

This is my second 'soap' having tried Col. Conk Bay Rum and AOS Sandalwood. The green tub contains what looks like creme but is really a rippled-top soap. Lathering is not as easy as with the Conk soap, but it does start to froth after some agitation with a wet brush. It feels quite good on the skin and is very cooling (not my favorite).

What holds this soap back from higher marks is the smell, like some bad medicine you would be forced to drink if bitten by a zombie. While some of the smell is eucalyptus, there is a part of it which is hard to discern and quite off-putting. The smell also seems to linger well into the day, at least for me, making folks wonder if I have lineament on a joint somewhere.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

This is funny, but for a while I was using this Proraso soap also, and I was enjoying it. Then 1 morning, I took my shave with it, and I hated it. Recently, my barber gave me a brand-new tube of the cream version, and I started to enjoy it again. I do agree that the scent isn't too great.

3. Gillu

Gillu Member

I still love proraso. It lasts so long and to me, at least what we get here in Europe, it lathers up faster than any other soap. I just lightly dab my brush in it and it lathers up on my face after two dabs. Proraso is the soap I use when I'm in rush and don't want to spend longer than two seconds lathering up.

4. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

My first use of Proraso soap a few years ago, brought the same reaction--this stuff smells like cough drops or Ben-Gay. However, it worked well for me. Oddly, I find that I now like the scent and really enjoy the cooling effect. Help! I think I may becoming addicted to Proraso! If you really can't stand the Proraso in the green tub, try the white tub version--Green Tea and Aloe. It has a very pleasant--to me, anyway--scent which is non-medicinal and works just as well as the classic version.

Mechguy likes this.
  5. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I agree with what he said. I really the proraso sensitive in the white tub. It has a clean-soapy kind of smell, and its very gentle on the skin. It always give me a great shave.

6. sas71

sas71 Member

id rather smell Proraso than Tabac

Dridecker likes this.
  7. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

One of my all time favorite brands.

PRORASO | Proraso Splash & Balm.jpg

Paulie likes this.
  8. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

It was my first venture into the world of quality shave products. I was hooked from the first swirl of my Proraso branded Omega boar. I still love it four-five years later and while I wouldn't say it smells as intoxicating as C&E Sienna, I rather like the clean camphorous smell. Love the cooooooling shave that it provides too! :smiley freezing:

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011:

10. Smooth

Smooth Member

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying Proraso, I'm sure you will find one that fits your needs.
    As for me I give it two thumbs up. By the time I rinse, use alum, rinse and finally aftershave there is nothing left of the soap to smell.
    Enjoy the journey of different soaps.

11. Gillu

Gillu Member

Go Proraso any day! Can't wait to stock up on a few 180g tubs in Trieste along with some of the creams. They cost close to nothing in Italy too. For me Proraso is the soap I use not only because I enjoy it, but also because it is easy to use. I do one small swirl with the brush or even just a dab and then I mix it on my face. It lathers up in seconds and honestly I reckon I could make one tub last six months. It is the kind of soap one needs during a war.

Johnny likes this.
  12. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

The first cream I used was the C.O. Bigelow (Proraso), and to this day I still love the scent. Granted, it takes a bit to get used to, and once you go to, say, a Truefitt & Hill or Taylor's, it is a bit of a different scent, but I keep coming back to it. It does have a distinct Old School feel, and I truly enjoy it. Either way, if it gives a great shave, I can deal with the scent. Plus, I find that the scent doesn't stick with me too well, so by the time I use the post-shave and finish up with a cologne, the camphor-ish smell is nearly gone.

13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I like the smell, just ordered a tub of omega and so proraso asb, I'm already using the pre-shave. i agree it does make people wonder if its lineament:)

14. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

For "hot" places like Greece this soap is one of a kind in summer !
    Proraso (Omega) have the secret for No 1 cooling effect.

BassTone likes this.