Bye bye Abraham

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Captain Pre-Capsize, Nov 12, 2011.

1. I have decided to no longer fool with pennies - they just aren’t worth it.

I say round all purchases to the nearest nickel.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Please mail your left over pennies to me.

battle.munky and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I was stationed at Rhein-Main AB, Germany from '83-86. They didn't use pennies on any of the military installations. Just rounded to the nearest nickel; sometime up, sometimes down. Seemed to work out. I was told it cost more to ship them overseas than they were worth.
    I didn't miss the pennies then, and wouldn't now, if they stopped using 'em.

scott wein likes this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

People pay you in pennies?

5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I'm with you.

6. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I have collected pennies (Lincoln cents) all my life. For those of little value, I roll them while watching TV and deposit them into my daughter's bank account. They say it costs more than 1 cent to make a cent, thus it may be a thing of the past before long. I've noticed that some people just leave their pennies on the counter when they get back change from a purchase. Always, Gene

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I always keep loose change , pennies included, and put them into coin banks . I absent mindedly filled a large cookie tin with change, the bulk pennies and when I cashed it in it was close to $200 . I always find pennies in the street usually grouped in 4 or 5, I always pick them up and bank them, people literally throwing away money.

rodd likes this.
  8. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I have always kept loose change, starting with the turnpike and parkway tolls were cash or token only. We filled a large water cooler bottle a couple of years ago, when we cashed it in at the bank it was a little over $1200. We used it for a vacation in Jamaica. I have another water jug about 1/2 full now, but when my daughter is being good I give her the change to put in her piggybank.

If you don't want it send it to me, I can find a use for it.

Hanzo likes this.
  9. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

I dont think pennies r necessary. But they r money and my Mom's bank lets me come in with a barrel fill pour them into a machine for no fee, and issue bills. I save the silver in one bin, the pennies in a bigger bin. Bought brunch for my folks and me today with coin money :)

10. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

The pennies are less important than the A & E in ARE. :)

Williams Warrior likes this.
  11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Pennies do add up.

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I used to have a change jar that filled up twice a year or so at which time I'd convert it to bills. Usually amounted to a couple hundred bucks mad money for a few raucous nights out on the town. Then came a wife and kids.

Still have a change jar but it never fills up and rarely gets above 1/4 full these days. I think there's a few pennies, some pocket lint and a paperclip in there now. Marriage really does change everything......

Mechguy likes this.
  13. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

seems pennies are mostly used in states with a sales tax. i had a change piggy bank that i used to buy a vcr. that was a long time ago but i'm still collecting them

14. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Yes it does. I hadn't thought about it, but it used to fill up much faster.
    With electronic payment (EZPass) for the tolls, that really slowed it down.
    I used to throw a 1 or 5 dollar bill into it, but that is over.